Astell&Kern Announces the AK300 and AK Recorder (5.6MHz DSD Recorder) at Tokyo Headphone Festival
May 23, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #121 of 1,018
The AK300 isn't available for purchase so there won't be any reviews unless some of the press sites get review samples early. I've heard that AK may have one by the Newport show next month but things change so there's no guarantee that they'll have one in time. I'm with you guys and anxiously awaiting impressions, specifically comparisons between the AK320 and AK300.

May 24, 2016 at 3:47 AM Post #122 of 1,018
The AK300 isn't available for purchase so there won't be any reviews unless some of the press sites get review samples early. I've heard that AK may have one by the Newport show next month but things change so there's no guarantee that they'll have one in time. I'm with you guys and anxiously awaiting impressions, specifically comparisons between the AK320 and AK300.

Addicted to Audio & Moon Audio are advertising it now, you're also able to put it in n the virtual cart.

May 24, 2016 at 4:14 AM Post #123 of 1,018
Im really interested in this. Would be a nice step up from my Jr i hope...
I really miss a optical/digital out

May 24, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #124 of 1,018
I pre-ordered an AK300 from Charles at Sight + Sound Gallery while at the Canlanta event. Charles didn't make any promises, but he indicated the first shipment of AK300 are expected early June. I am hopeful that turns out to be the case. This will be my first modern DAP (currently use an iPod 5.5) and it would be great to have it for several work related trips in June and July.

FWIW, the deciding factor for my choice of the AK300 was the UI, screen size, and wireless connectivity for those times I want to send music to bluetooth/wifi speakers on the deck or wherever. I almost bought the Questyle QP-1R, but its small screen size meant small text size that made it difficult for me to read. I didn't mind its UI, but didn't love it either. However, I really enjoyed the sound quality from the QP-1R. That is what kept it in serious contention. I am taking a bit of a gamble on not having reviews of the AK300 sound quality. I will also be getting the Cavalli Liquid Spark so that should address the weak amplification concerns I have read about for AK players.

May 25, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #125 of 1,018
this could possibly be a future purchase for me.

i wasnt that happy with the mojo for metal music, shrunk the soundstage and warmed up the overall sound a tad too much.

also i know that rob watts tuned the fpga to his own personal liking im and sure hes not much of a fan of bands like death angel or lamb of god 
tongue.gif

May 28, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #126 of 1,018
First post!

I'm looking to replace an ageing if well looked after iPod Classic 160 (with Eltymotic ER4s). I had shortlisted the AK 100II but am obviously interested in the AK300 which I have been told will be shipping from the first week in June here in the UK. From reading this forum I guess I should also consider the Onkyo's DP-X1. Looking at either Bowers & Wilkins P5 Series 2 or Oppo PM-3 cans.

Any advice for a complete novice to hi res portable audio would be gratefully received.

​Managed to audition some Oppo PM-3 with an AK Junior which I found detailed but without much soundstage and little bass but its not much in the way of hi-fi shops local to me it's going to be a challenge to make an informed choice.

May 31, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #132 of 1,018
Im trying to decide between this, the Questyle and the Onyko...

Those were the three DAPs on my short list. I loved the sound of the Questyle, but its small screen was a problem for me. I may regret not giving the Onkyo a harder look, especially since I had the opportunity check out all three at Canlanta. As it is, I am waiting for my pre-order AK300 to arrive. It is hard to keep from second guessing my decision while waiting.

Jun 1, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #133 of 1,018

Those were the three DAPs on my short list. I loved the sound of the Questyle, but its small screen was a problem for me. I may regret not giving the Onkyo a harder look, especially since I had the opportunity check out all three at Canlanta. As it is, I am waiting for my pre-order AK300 to arrive. It is hard to keep from second guessing my decision while waiting.

The onkyo just has a lot of Features. Especially the Option to install tidal or spotify on them.
But i guess apart from that and two DACs (still not sure thats such a big benefit) the AK300 has all the other Features as well. It definitely Looks better and is better made i guess.
I like the look of the Questyle but i guess it cant compete on Features with the other two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back