Astell & Kern AK70 MKII with dual DAC
Feb 11, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #991 of 1,058
i figured it out with a google search. hold the power button for 12 seconds then plug it in

Feb 12, 2019 at 2:59 AM Post #992 of 1,058
This or Opus #1s? Do they both utilize the same same dac chips? 70 mkii uses the cs4398, Opus uses the cs43198. Are these the same chips? Either way, I can't imagine these daps sound a lot different. I had the Opus #1s. Loved it, but some pretty serious battery issues. Reading through this thread, it appears some users are experiencing battery issues with this device as well, such as excessive heat and rapid draining. The UI looks a little cleaner on the ak70 mkii, with some additional features. Plus it's smaller and lighter. Less power from single ended, but more power from balanced. Neither dap is short on it. At the moment, this dap is roughly 100 dollars more, plus the additional expense of a case. Anyone use or own both of these daps? Thoughts?

Feb 12, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #993 of 1,058
This or Opus #1s? Do they both utilize the same same dac chips? 70 mkii uses the cs4398, Opus uses the cs43198. Are these the same chips? Either way, I can't imagine these daps sound a lot different. I had the Opus #1s. Loved it, but some pretty serious battery issues. Reading through this thread, it appears some users are experiencing battery issues with this device as well, such as excessive heat and rapid draining. The UI looks a little cleaner on the ak70 mkii, with some additional features. Plus it's smaller and lighter. Less power from single ended, but more power from balanced. Neither dap is short on it. At the moment, this dap is roughly 100 dollars more, plus the additional expense of a case. Anyone use or own both of these daps? Thoughts?
The both use different DACs. The CS43198 is a newer DAC and Cirrus Logic's upgrade to the CS4398 used in the AK70 MK II. The CS43198 DAC is used in the new Astell&Kern SR15, which is the replacement for the AK70 MK II. If you want choice of streaming services and a bit of future proof, I would recommend looking into the SR15 since it is newer. If you are primarily playing back music stored on the device, the AK70 MK II is a great device.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Feb 12, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #994 of 1,058
The both use different DACs. The CS43198 is a newer DAC and Cirrus Logic's upgrade to the CS4398 used in the AK70 MK II. The CS43198 DAC is used in the new Astell&Kern SR15, which is the replacement for the AK70 MK II. If you want choice of streaming services and a bit of future proof, I would recommend looking into the SR15 since it is newer. If you are primarily playing back music stored on the device, the AK70 MK II is a great device.
I don't need streaming services, and the SR15 is more expensive than I can afford. Looks like the chips in the Opus are 32 bit, while the AK is 24 bit - according to the Cirrus Logic website.

Feb 13, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #995 of 1,058
Does the battery / device run hot as mentioned many times, while only listening to music files via wired headphones....No Bluetooth and everything else turned off?

Feb 23, 2019 at 11:56 PM Post #996 of 1,058
finally i bought ak70ii

after switching a lot of DAP althou a bit unplanned
(xdp100r>cayin i5>ak70>ak120ii>ak300>cayin n5iis>ak70ii(now))

go to local audio store on my country coz i happen to be near, and planning to buy campfire andromeda, but it was out of stock XD tho i got baited to buy fit ear parterre and got baited (again) to try ak70ii which blew my ear XD than i barter my n5iis(+150$) to ak70ii

ak70ii+fit ear partere+pw audio silver copper 3:4 really satisfy me a lot now

really it's hard to move away from AK's(cayin is an exception in ny case) sound after you get used to it XD and the UI is one thing that can be called "BEST", may be i was to spoiled a lot by AK that when i got other DAP it was be like (too slowww), good job btw AK.

btw my ak70ii firmware is still at 1.02, is there any major change in sound if i try to update it to 1.04 (the lastest iirc) ?

Mar 1, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #997 of 1,058
Does anyone know if the AK70ii can support the new(ish) 512gb Micro SD cards for storage?

Mar 5, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #998 of 1,058
Hello friends. Recently purchased this player. At the moment, I listen to it with SONY 7506 headphones. I think that we should buy more serious ears. I do not have enough pressure in the lower frequencies. And often I hear sibilants. Heavy music plays in detail, for example, Metalica, but modern pop music plays terribly, vocals break down in a squeak sometimes. In general, I looked at MEZE 99 - I like the design, the size, but the sound of different reviews. Someone says that there is too much bass, but I don’t want the lower frequencies to overlap the middle ones. I can not listen anywhere - I read the reviews and watch the video. Tell me who else is listening to our player. Price interests up to 400-500 dollars. Sorry for bad english. Thanks for the answers in advance

Mar 25, 2019 at 7:33 AM Post #999 of 1,058
Is anyone using Bluetooth headphones? I had a pair but I can't get it to pair - if finds the headphones fine but sates that it can't pair with them.

Cheers

BT

Apr 2, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #1,000 of 1,058
Is anyone using Bluetooth headphones? I had a pair but I can't get it to pair - if finds the headphones fine but sates that it can't pair with them.

Cheers

BT
Hi,
I do use Beoplay H9i flawlessly and used H9 before that (which was better and supported APTX HD). AirPods from time to time and they work pretty well.
Try to stay away from any other devices or WiFi and make some more tests...

Apr 6, 2019 at 1:49 AM Post #1,001 of 1,058
Hi all

Have the MKII for more than a year now and only today I found that the tracks in my playlist have disappeared, though they are still present in the external storage. Can anyone shed some light on this issue? The playlists were created directly via the player

Apr 6, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #1,002 of 1,058
How to improve your OE AK70 Mkii case 100% with a pair of Secateurs

IMAG2582.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2019 at 7:43 AM Post #1,004 of 1,058
HI,

I'm thinking of buying a pair of Shure SE425 to use with the player. Does anyone have experience with these? And has anyone switched to a balanced cable as well? (Looking for recommendations).

Thanks in advance
/M

I've the Fiio FH5 for a few weeks and it's almost day and night with a balanced cable.
I would say the musical render is less "foggy" and it brings a lot more powerful and refined sound in every aspect.

Hope it helps!

Apr 25, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #1,005 of 1,058
HI,

I'm thinking of buying a pair of Shure SE425 to use with the player. Does anyone have experience with these? And has anyone switched to a balanced cable as well? (Looking for recommendations).

Thanks in advance
/M

I am curious as to why you chose the SE425? I had them when I didn't have this player and found them to be very light on low end. Mids are great and the mids on this players are prominent as well so I am not shure how the combo will sound. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the SE425s but they were not hitting all the notes I needed them to hit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back