Astell & Kern AK70 MKII with dual DAC
Nov 26, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #976 of 1,058
Does anyone know if some of the enhanced features (like Tidal offline, side loading apps) will be supported on this model or will it just be on the newer models that were rolled out earlier this year?
The AK70 MK II will not be getting the new Open App service as it runs an older version of Android OS that does not support the Open App service. We are looking into additional features that we can add to the AK70 MK II in the future.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Nov 27, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #977 of 1,058
I've never had a dedicated DAP quite like this and I'm loving it so far, except for one (not-so-little) thing -- the fact that the library scan takes WAY too long after re-inserting the SD card. Currently, it's about 15 minutes before I'm able to listen. (And yes, I have stuff on the internal storage too, but even that doesn't work very well while it's still scanning the SD; playback keeps stopping/stuttering).

I'm the kind of person who likes to update his mobile music library VERY often. I've been able to remember to eject the stupid thing earlier than usual so that it's ready for when I leave, but god forbid I forget... Can't even listen to a damn thing until my commute is almost half over!

Is this just the way it is w/ this DAP? I'm guessing that's probably the case, since it's a few years old now, but... Had to ask, since I haven't found much about this yet.

EDIT: Also, why does only some of my artwork show up?! So frustrating.

For reference, if you switch OFF the player, remove the SD card, make changes to the SD card, re-insert it and then switch the player ON it seems to take around 30 seconds with a nearly full 200GB card.

What brand / speed card are you using? I've had Samsung Evo (UHS-1 / Class 10) and latterly a Sandisk Ultra (Class 10 / U1) and had no issues.

Nov 27, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #978 of 1,058
For reference, if you switch OFF the player, remove the SD card, make changes to the SD card, re-insert it and then switch the player ON it seems to take around 30 seconds with a nearly full 200GB card.

What brand / speed card are you using? I've had Samsung Evo (UHS-1 / Class 10) and latterly a Sandisk Ultra (Class 10 / U1) and had no issues.
Y'know what... I knew that. I knew that, and it didn't even occur to me that the fastest way to scan is just on startup. It only takes ~15-20 seconds to start up anyway, and I've never seen it take more than a few minutes at most to scan before being ready.

(It helps to know that ONLY supported files -- i.e. no images, text files, PDFs, etc. -- should be on the device, but still).

Damn. Thanks for the kick in the head. :) Sometimes it's needed!

(P.S. I'm using a "Samsung 256GB EVO Plus Class 10 UHS-I microSDXC U3" -- so far, so good!)

Nov 30, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #981 of 1,058
Just a follow up to my earlier posts regarding my AK70/2 woes - having to send it Germany from the UK for repair then straight back as it was still defective. I eventually got a fully repaired unit back from Germany with a replacement mother-board. It's proved to be better sounding, slightly louder and more stable all round than it was when new, so I'm guessing that I had a properly defective unit.

I'm now enjoying using it but still not 100% happy inasmuch as I only got 10 months use in the first year of ownership. Hopeful that things work more smoothly going forwards...

Dec 12, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #982 of 1,058
Please, please I need some help... does anyone have a working playlist that can play files from both internal storage and the SD Card?

For example, if I have ACDC internal and ZZTop on the SD Card this playlist won't work, will it?

/Music/ACDC/Back In Black/Back In Black.FLAC
/Music/ZZTop/Eliminator/Legs.FLAC

On the old units I could use /storage/emulated/0 or /storage/sdcard2 to make it work:

/storage/emulated/0/Music/ACDC/Back In Black/Back In Black.FLAC
/storage/sdcard2/Music/ZZTop/Eliminator/Legs.FLAC

Jan 9, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #983 of 1,058
Finally bit the bullet and bought the AK70mkII today :) I demo'd it for a long while, blow away by how good it sounded on my single ended headphones. I liked the sound of the Jr, but didn't like the lack of oher features so i sold it on. I wasn't planning on buying the AK70 but after listening and being able to get a new one delivered on Friday for an excellent price, well it made sense. Can't wait until I have it in my hands later this week.
Now to find some balanced IEM and cables.

Jan 9, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #984 of 1,058
Nice, I have had my AK70 for six months now and use it daily. I have a balenced cable on my SE535's. Love it. Insidentaly I also tryed the Sure BT2 cable with AptX HD. It turned out to be so close I am using it full time just now (with my balenced cable in my bag as backup). Also used the earstudio for a bit and that sounded nice too paired with the AK70. Congrats on a good desision is all I have to say.

Jan 23, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #985 of 1,058
The AK70 MK II will not be getting the new Open App service as it runs an older version of Android OS that does not support the Open App service. We are looking into additional features that we can add to the AK70 MK II in the future.
Is there any info on whether the ak70 mkii will get MQA support in a future firmware update? It would be great to utilize Tidal Masters, and it would be a shame if this was limited to only more recent daps as the ak70 mkii isn’t exactly old yet.

Jan 24, 2019 at 11:21 PM Post #986 of 1,058
Is there any info on whether the ak70 mkii will get MQA support in a future firmware update? It would be great to utilize Tidal Masters, and it would be a shame if this was limited to only more recent daps as the ak70 mkii isn’t exactly old yet.

Basically they cannot add the feature as they don't want to upgrade the OS on the player (which is based on version not compatible with Open App).
Technically, they could do it but....This is a niche market where most users are known for spending without counting and switching gear every 2 months.
My 5 years old Android tablet is using the latest OS update - it all depends if a company respect their users or not.
Maybe we should sue them in a class action? Even companies like Apple eventually have to bend the knee. :L3000:

Tl;dr: It won't happen, please buy the latest model.

Jan 25, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #987 of 1,058
Is it the general consensus that the battery life on this device is terrible?

I just got one off amazon warehouse and wanted to make sure the battery isn't defective, as it drains ~10% every couple songs while using balanced out.

Jan 25, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #988 of 1,058
Is it the general consensus that the battery life on this device is terrible?

I just got one off amazon warehouse and wanted to make sure the battery isn't defective, as it drains ~10% every couple songs while using balanced out.

Not at all, I get a good 6-8hrs play out of mine (2.5mm trrs) & it's getting on for 12 months old. Reckon you've been sold a lemon, return it if you can

Feb 7, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #990 of 1,058
cant get mine to power up, just downloaded some songs , shut the dap off to connect to my amp, no power, cant get it to turn on. any ideas what to do. plugged it in to charge, nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back