Astell & Kern AK70 MKII with dual DAC
Oct 24, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #961 of 1,058
So... Does anyone, anywhere, have any more information on what, exactly, the "Pro EQ" changes? Are there any graphs anywhere? Any measurements? Anything? (The user manual is no help, of course).

It really doesn't matter much, I'm just curious what it's actually changing because personally I find myself turning it on when I'm in louder areas, and/or the current track has too much bass and/or treble. Enabling the EQ seems to cut everything by about 3 dB and roll off some sub-bass while smoothing the treble a bit, which can sometimes be helpful if the particular track's mastering is too harsh/uneven/etc.

That sound about right? Or is that just how it sounds in my earphones? (Currently using the Meze 12 Classics but will soon be receiving the new "Planamics" from Massdrop/Mee Audio). I searched the thread and somebody else mentioned how they actually hear MORE bass when they enable the EQ -- totally the opposite for me, and the Mezes are already pretty warm & bass-heavy.

Oct 25, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #963 of 1,058
Is the AK70iI a MTP based dap? Anyone on here with a Mac tell me how their experience is?

I am unable to connect my AK70 Mk II directly to my Mac Mini, no matter what interface software I try. I use a micro-SD card to load my music on and then insert it into the Mk II. It's a pain in the butt, but at least it's a small pain. I am; however, so sick of dealing with the things that are different with Apple that I am seriously considering moving everything I have to a dedicated audio PC and selling my Mac.

Oct 25, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #964 of 1,058
Well, that didn't work, I still have a terrible ground loop hum. Very loud. Any ideas?

OK, thank you very much to David Choy of Trident Audio for all his help solving this problem. The final solution was a cable that has both 2.5mm TRRS and 3.5mm TRS plugs at the source end. I kept my dual 3-pin XLRs at the amp end. The cable is grounded through the 3.5mm TRS plug (both TRRS and TRS are plugged in when using the AK70 Mk II balanced).

If anyone has a ground loop problem with their Mk II when connected to an amp, call David Choy.

Oct 26, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #965 of 1,058
Hi everyone. I've been looking at maybe buying the Ak70ii and so I was looking through the manual. I noticed it said there may be a lag when using it as a DAC. Has anyone tried using it as a DAC for Youtube or movies and , if so, was there a lag? I'd be uisng it mainly to listen to when I'm on my daily run, so this is not a big issue but I'd prefer to know up front.

Thanks in advance.

I just bought an MKII, I'm using it as a DAC on my computer. The delay is close to 2 seconds -- has anyone figured out a solution to this? It's not a problem for music obviously, but for any video source it's a really big problem because it not only affects movies & TV shows, I can't watch music videos either. When I'm not playing any media, every ~5 minutes or so it'll make a really loud distorted noise, kinda sounds like an analogue TV when it loses signal. This happens for example when I get a dialogue box that pops up and makes a sound, but the sound has already gone by the time the MKII comes through, maybe that's why it makes such a noise. It also makes the noise when you pause/resume anything. It's so annoying because it does it at max volume, very sharp on the ears.

Also on a different note, is the battery supposed to lose like 1% or more per minute while using Tidal on the device? I haven't gotten around to downloading music manually yet, but I noticed Tidal makes the player very warm and drains the battery insanely fast, I'm dumbfounded as to how poorly optimised this app is and how the content is being delivered to the device.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #966 of 1,058
can u post a picture so we can see the cable in use at both ends? thanks
OK, thank you very much to David Choy of Trident Audio for all his help solving this problem. The final solution was a cable that has both 2.5mm TRRS and 3.5mm TRS plugs at the source end. I kept my dual 3-pin XLRs at the amp end. The cable is grounded through the 3.5mm TRS plug (both TRRS and TRS are plugged in when using the AK70 Mk II balanced).

If anyone has a ground loop problem with their Mk II when connected to an amp, call David Choy.

Oct 28, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #967 of 1,058
AK cable.jpg

Oct 28, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #968 of 1,058
thanks Maconjh. right now i have mine going from the stereo headphone out to the mini connection on my bryston headphone amp, and would like to go balanced . this helps alot

Oct 30, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #969 of 1,058
I just bought an MKII, I'm using it as a DAC on my computer. The delay is close to 2 seconds -- has anyone figured out a solution to this? It's not a problem for music obviously, but for any video source it's a really big problem because it not only affects movies & TV shows, I can't watch music videos either. When I'm not playing any media, every ~5 minutes or so it'll make a really loud distorted noise, kinda sounds like an analogue TV when it loses signal. This happens for example when I get a dialogue box that pops up and makes a sound, but the sound has already gone by the time the MKII comes through, maybe that's why it makes such a noise. It also makes the noise when you pause/resume anything. It's so annoying because it does it at max volume, very sharp on the ears.

Also on a different note, is the battery supposed to lose like 1% or more per minute while using Tidal on the device? I haven't gotten around to downloading music manually yet, but I noticed Tidal makes the player very warm and drains the battery insanely fast, I'm dumbfounded as to how poorly optimised this app is and how the content is being delivered to the device.

This is so strange, I get no more audio lag at all. I randomly plugged the device in to a USB 3.1 port on the back of my motherboard, I didn't change any settings or anything but now I'm watching music videos and movies with no audio sync issues. I swapped it back to a USB 2.0 port and I get a 2 second delay again. Also when I'm on max volume (Senn. 660S) on the 3.1 port, it's actually much much louder than it is when plugged in to a 2.0 port.

Nov 3, 2018 at 4:25 AM Post #970 of 1,058
HI guys ,
Have a AK70 MKii on the way which I got half price due to the 3.5mm jack not working , but going to use Bluetooth anyway with my AKG Y50 BTs (can these be used on the balanced output with a 2.5mm to 2.5mm cable ? ), my question is can you guys recommend any over ear or on ear balanced headphones for the 2.5mm jack under $150 and would I need to buy an adapter to connect to the 2.5mm jack , thanks

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #971 of 1,058
So... Does anyone, anywhere, have any more information on what, exactly, the "Pro EQ" changes? Are there any graphs anywhere? Any measurements? Anything? (The user manual is no help, of course).

It really doesn't matter much, I'm just curious what it's actually changing because personally I find myself turning it on when I'm in louder areas, and/or the current track has too much bass and/or treble. Enabling the EQ seems to cut everything by about 3 dB and roll off some sub-bass while smoothing the treble a bit, which can sometimes be helpful if the particular track's mastering is too harsh/uneven/etc.

That sound about right? Or is that just how it sounds in my earphones? (Currently using the Meze 12 Classics but will soon be receiving the new "Planamics" from Massdrop/Mee Audio). I searched the thread and somebody else mentioned how they actually hear MORE bass when they enable the EQ -- totally the opposite for me, and the Mezes are already pretty warm & bass-heavy.
Bump...

Nov 12, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #973 of 1,058
Anyone know if you can get AK to ignore ‘The’ in front of an artists name, and list it in its proper alphabetical order?

Obviously I can change a artists tag from ‘The Beatles’ to ‘Beatles, The’ but is there another way?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back