Astell & Kern AK70 MKII with dual DAC
May 13, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #752 of 1,058
Update it came back on placed near cool fan, what gives it appears to be working now even charging,, she was warm when went dead, only was playing 30 minutes or so,,
I will keep playing see what happens if does this again,,strange,,no it was not the beer, lol

May 13, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #753 of 1,058
A quick question if I may...

I have an AK70 Mkii (& love it!) with a 200GB Micro SD card. Both internal memory and SD card are now full so I've ordered a Sandisk 400GB Micro SD which should arrive soon. I intend to save the music stored on the 200GB Micro SD to a portable hard drive and then transfer to the new card. But how do I either, transfer/move the music which is already stored on the AK's Internal storage to the new Micro SD or to the external hard drive as I want to have all my music just on the SD Card, leaving the AK's Internal memory empty.

This may be a stupid/dumb question, I apologise if so, but please indulge me

T.I.A :)

May 13, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #754 of 1,058
A quick question if I may...

I have an AK70 Mkii (& love it!) with a 200GB Micro SD card. Both internal memory and SD card are now full so I've ordered a Sandisk 400GB Micro SD which should arrive soon. I intend to save the music stored on the 200GB Micro SD to a portable hard drive and then transfer to the new card. But how do I either, transfer/move the music which is already stored on the AK's Internal storage to the new Micro SD or to the external hard drive as I want to have all my music just on the SD Card, leaving the AK's Internal memory empty.

This may be a stupid/dumb question, I apologise if so, but please indulge me

T.I.A :)
Well,
If you use a pc, both drives will appear on the desktop, you just have to copy all the folders to the new microsd card,
I don’t see the need to transfer first to a hard drive and then to the new microsd cars (if you don’t want to use the HR for backup).

With a Mac, you need an app in order to access the ak79.
One is the android file transfer a freeware, or, better, commander ones shareware that has useful features.

May 14, 2018 at 6:52 AM Post #755 of 1,058
Well,
If you use a pc, both drives will appear on the desktop, you just have to copy all the folders to the new microsd card,
I don’t see the need to transfer first to a hard drive and then to the new microsd cars (if you don’t want to use the HR for backup).

With a Mac, you need an app in order to access the ak79.
One is the android file transfer a freeware, or, better, commander ones shareware that has useful features.

Many thanks Kubig123

Apologies, it was 2.00am over here (UK), when I posted my question and I'd gone to bed when you posted.

So, if I have understood correctly I should do the following (laptop OS is Windows 10):
1/ Un-mount existing SD Card from the AK.
2/ Insert & mount new SD Card into the AK.
3/ Format new SD Card whilst mounted in the AK.
4/ Remove new SD Card from AK.
5/ Re-insert old SD Card into AK & mount.
6/ Connect AK to laptop & copy files over to new SD Card (mounted in card reader).
7/ Remove old SD Card from AK and then delete all music still showing as stored on the AK.
8/ Insert & mount new SD Card
9/ Party hard :)

I assume album art will not be affected/lost by this process?

Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 7:17 AM Post #756 of 1,058
I assume album art will not be affected/lost by this process?

Album art should be fine.

As for the steps, it could be faster.

1/ Unmount existing card.
2/ Mount new card and format on ak.
3/ Insert old card into card reader.
4/ Copy files over.

Cheers.

May 15, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #757 of 1,058
btw, the sandisk 400gb micro sd card is onsale for $159.xx at amazon and b&h. glad i waited a little bit--they were at $249, then $189 and i nearly bit then.

i think it might be a one day sale.

/guy

May 18, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #758 of 1,058
Hello guys. Anyone tried out ak70 mk2 vs Fiio x5 3gen? Sound quality wise

May 18, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #760 of 1,058
I have both, prefer the AK for active listening, more detail. The X5 is nice for background while working or not actively listening. Was there anything specific you wanted to know ?

May 18, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #761 of 1,058
Hi guys,thanks for the fast answers. I had got fiio x5 3gen when it came out and send it back because the sound was too congested for my taste,bad instrument separation and too sparkle for me. I've been using ipods with cirrus logic until now,did not like the ak dac on fiio. So,that's why i ask ,i'm a little on the fence before pulling the trigger on AK. But i'm gonna buy it soon... Cirrus on board :)) Well,i'd appreciate any suggestion for the iem to match. I got shure se215 but i don't like it very much...

May 19, 2018 at 1:55 AM Post #762 of 1,058
I use shure SE 425 and SE 535 with a balanced cable and the gray filters. I did not like the SE215's much ether. The detail is a bit in your face but I like that. The Fiio F9's sound good if you are looking for something a bit more laid back.

May 19, 2018 at 2:27 AM Post #763 of 1,058
Hi guys,thanks for the fast answers. I had got fiio x5 3gen when it came out and send it back because the sound was too congested for my taste,bad instrument separation and too sparkle for me. I've been using ipods with cirrus logic until now,did not like the ak dac on fiio. So,that's why i ask ,i'm a little on the fence before pulling the trigger on AK. But i'm gonna buy it soon... Cirrus on board :)) Well,i'd appreciate any suggestion for the iem to match. I got shure se215 but i don't like it very much...

I use Sennheiser IE80S iem's but I'm new to this game so can't say if they're better or worse than other options. However (& to echo MaxD's reply), what I have learned from my time with the AK70 MKii is that if you intend to plug the iem's directly into the dap (not using an external dac/amp) then the 2.5mm balanced output is the way to go

Last edited:
May 19, 2018 at 3:09 AM Post #764 of 1,058
Yes I found that too, the balanced port has more power and seems to deliver more detail. I made my balanced cable for the SE 535's but the FIIO F9's came with one.

May 19, 2018 at 3:13 AM Post #765 of 1,058
Melons,would you tell me something more about the IE80S? I was thinking to buy them. Someone say they’re bassy. And what about the balance output? Do you mean the se output lacks volume?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back