Astell & Kern AK70 MKII with dual DAC
May 4, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #736 of 1,058
Because of the short battery life of the AK70 mk2. If I don't keep charging this dap while streaming tidal, the battery would be depleted very quickly. AK70 mk2 uses the same micro-usb port for charging and outputting digital signal, so when connected to the Mojo charging is impossible.

You can use the optical connection to the Mojo and if anything bypassing the internal DAC/amp of the AK should save you a little extra battery life.

May 4, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #738 of 1,058
I just read through the user manual, it doesn't mention optical connection. Perhaps the 3.5mm headphone port also works as an optical port?

I believe so, at least that's the case with my AK120ii.

May 4, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #739 of 1,058
I just read through the user manual, it doesn't mention optical connection. Perhaps the 3.5mm headphone port also works as an optical port?
The AK70 MK II does not have an mini-toslink out via the 3.5mm port. The AK70 MK II does digital out via the microUSB port only.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
May 4, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #740 of 1,058
The AK70 MK II does not have an mini-toslink out via the 3.5mm port. The AK70 MK II does digital out via the microUSB port only.

I stand corrected, apologies for the confusion.

May 5, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #742 of 1,058
Has anyone noticed that battery life improves after firmware update? Yesterday with the old firmware my AK70 mk2 lose around 15 percent of power every half hour (streaming lossless tidal, not charging at the same time). Today I update the firmware and I have been listening to tidal since around 6:30 pm (dap not connected to the charger), still have 55 percent of battery left. It is really nice.

May 5, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #743 of 1,058
tks for the notice. i leave mine off except when i want to use it and thus i didn't know an update was available.

only thing the changelog says is '.... system stability' although i guess you could get to better battery life from that premise.

/guy

May 7, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #744 of 1,058
Don't know whether it's "brain burn-in" or actual burn-in of the dap. After few days of usage, I begin to appreciate AK70 mkii sound quality. I no longer hear the mid as thick and congested. The sound stage seems to open up a bit as well. Listening to Eric Clapton "Unplugged", I hear impressive instrument separation and a decent amount of details. I still think this dap isn't as competent as Chord Mojo in terms of technicality, but it likes comparing apple to orange - Mojo must be paired with Poly to be considered a dap, then it could be compared with the AK. Also, I haven't try the 2.5 mm balanced output yet. Perhaps it sounds substantially better?

May 7, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #745 of 1,058
The 2.5 balenced out made a big diference for me. I got a lot more detail and seperation. On the down side a little siblence too. using the SE535's. Using The Oppo PM3's I found the 2.5 seems to have more power too to drive Planare's. Dident need an amp.

May 12, 2018 at 11:02 PM Post #749 of 1,058
Added to my list, thanks. How do you find it? Warm or cool? And you use Encore universals or custom?

Slightly on the warm side of things. Everything sounds smooth and engaging as if the entire music sounded as one. The feeling of effortlessness and only reason why we listen to music. I suggest you give them a try first using balanced output, not single ended and feel if thats the kind of sound you prefer.

My encore is custom. If you have the budget, always go for custom as the superior isolation does make difference especially for TOTL iems. Cheers.

May 13, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #750 of 1,058
Hey guys /ladies AK70 mk2 just died,
Purchased 11/17/17, direct from ak,,
Tried charging etc, no go,,
Crap was going on trip 20th
Lucky I have the Kann
I trust AK as know warranty, what's process call them?
Thanks All, and Jason from AK
Was listening to tidal, she was getting warm but she always little hot, like it just went to sleep and said bye,, OK yes had few craft brews

Users who are viewing this thread

Back