Astell & Kern AK70 MKII with dual DAC
Aug 13, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #916 of 1,058
June 23

I compile a list of feature requests that are posted here on Head-Fi and social media and submit them to our development team regularly. Cannot guarantee requests would get added, but we've added a number of new features that were first requested by users here and on our social media pages . I will add this to the request list

August 13

I often turn on the WIFI of my AK70 MKII. (while doing it i always look at the non-implemented EQ-function. Only an example) The last update was the addition of the spanish language. Olé.

Im reading many threats about other DAPs and its a joy to see the rich communication between the manufacturer and the customers and interested persons. Not only helpful discussions. There are actions in form of quick sw-updates and the wishes of the community are taken serious. Yes. Some manufacturer still live their products.

It makes fun to read there and feel the care. Thats very important.

Compared to the above mentioned threads this one is a wasteland. I like the AK70 MKII but iRiver (A & K) seriously have to improve customer-care.

Aug 13, 2018 at 11:34 PM Post #917 of 1,058
June 23

August 13

I often turn on the WIFI of my AK70 MKII. (while doing it i always look at the non-implemented EQ-function. Only an example) The last update was the addition of the spanish language. Olé.

Im reading many threats about other DAPs and its a joy to see the rich communication between the manufacturer and the customers and interested persons. Not only helpful discussions. There are actions in form of quick sw-updates and the wishes of the community are taken serious. Yes. Some manufacturer still live their products.

Compared to the above mentioned threads this one is a wasteland. I like the AK70 MKII but iRiver (A & K) seriously have to improve customer-care.

I feel the same, that's the first time I buy a brand new A&K device, and I am disappointed how it seems that they never update their firmware.
I have the same experience with their devices whether it was released less than a year ago or 6 years ago.

The UI is not very smooth, playlists (I have...3 playlists of 12~30 songs each) take 30 seconds to load, "SD card safely removed" message when a SD card is inserted, new features never coming (spotify, offline tidal etc).

I love the sound coming from it but.... just disappointing. The kind of company releasing devices too often and prioritizing the latest big thing expecting the fan base to follow maybe?
I am not really expecting new features, as you don't purchase a device for what might come to it, but at least the UX/UI (at this price) should be irreproachable.

Aug 14, 2018 at 2:18 AM Post #918 of 1,058
June 23

August 13

The EQ does actually work, it is just that a lot of people are expecting it to be a massive EQ change, but it actually only makes very small changes but does actually work. The reason is that they did not want to have such drastic changes that could distort the music.

Aug 14, 2018 at 6:07 AM Post #919 of 1,058
Of course im expecting to chose wether i want small or big EQ changes when im in the mood for it. 99,99& of my listening time i dont use EQ. But if i want to do i want full access to the frequencies. As i said before the oldschool iRiver MP3- Players came equipped with one of the best EQ i have ever used.

The EQ option is not what makes me feel bad about the iRiver support. I dont feel like im part of the iRiver/Astell & Kern planet. Its a moon-like wasteland. Other manufacturers do it right. They communicate on a very frequent basis with their customers and most important its not only blablabla... actions follow.

I already put an eye on a higher tier A&K but the tendency to give other dap-labels a try and buy their top tier products is growing.

Aug 14, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #920 of 1,058
Anyone having issue with (in my case) left EIM not outputting sound when resuming music playback when the player is asleep? It happens randomly and only once in a while.

I'm using balanced cable and I've tried many combinations of different IEMs though the issue persists. Not a biggie though it seems like SW bug.

UPDATE: solved :) It turned out to be the IEM issue.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #921 of 1,058
IMG_E3563.JPG

IMG_E3571.JPG

Switching between Ak70 MKII and Plenue D a bit. The EQ of the Plenue D is very nice to have, especially if theres a song where you want that extra portion of bass.

Example: 50 cent "In Da Club" (this song sounds better with enhanced bass)

AK70 MKII (no EQ): Very good sound quality, crisp and punchy... but the deep thumping bass is missing.

Plenue D: Wow. The enhanced bass using the EQ makes a real enjoyable hiphop sound out of it.

(A shame that iRiver (A & K) refuse to emplement their awesome EQ they used in their old MP3-players).
That would be a killer feature. But the princesses and princes of iRiver are not amused. How dare a peasant asking for having fun being able to make big changes (in know theres a slight use of the EQ) to the sound signature sometimes. Do you think Cowon will get rid of their EQ in their higher tier Daps? Noooo. They exactly know that boys and girls wanna have fun. Hiby players... eightball eq? There must be a reason for it.)

Make the test for yourself with the above mentioned song. If im wrong im sure there will be a special circle of hell reserved for me. :imp:

Aug 20, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #922 of 1,058
I've given up AK since their support is non existence. have since move back to Sony, at least a bigger company that has support. Because I bought it off amazon, they don't recognise its warranty! after one email exchange, then totally no reply from them. Empty promises.

no doubt AK produce beautiful DAPs, but beautiful models with no brains. frustrated with so many minor things either not working as promised or just irritating. Nice looking but no substance. and cant keep up with their constant new looking models, but same old problems.

Peace out!

Aug 20, 2018 at 7:09 AM Post #923 of 1,058
Yesterday i red the Astell & Kern SE100 threat. This dap seems to be very nice. Guess what is lacking BUT advertised this time as a feature.

Parametric EQ ... i watched a video from badboy and saw that the EQ programm is really LOOKING and OPERATING good... but make another guess what feature have nearly no effect while playing with it? ofc you guessed right...

Paramteric EQ. :grin::grin::grin:

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #924 of 1,058
Yesterday i red the Astell & Kern K100 threat. This dap seems to be very nice. Guess what is lacking BUT advertised this time as a feature.

Parametric EQ ... i watched a video from badboy and saw that the EQ programm is really LOOKING and OPERATING good... but make another guess what feature have nearly no effect while playing with it? ofc you guessed right...

Paramteric EQ. :grin::grin::grin:
I think we went over this before, the AK devices do have a 'working' EQ, they just don't work as you wish them to, providing only slight adjustments as to not alter the music that much.

Aug 22, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #925 of 1,058
Is this dap worth paying extra for than buying mk1?

Aug 25, 2018 at 1:00 AM Post #929 of 1,058
Hey folks, I've been using the AK70 MKII for a while now, love it, coming from a AK100II it has a great sound. I was wondering if anyone could help me with a question...
I have been looking at the Hiby R6, looks like a great player, bigger battery, and better UI/UX. The only question was the power output, I know my AK70 MKII has 4.0VRMS, plenty of power to drive my gear (CampfireAudio Polaris, FiiO FH5, and soon CampfireAudio Cascade) but I'm not sure about the Hiby R6, it states a 300mW(RMS) @32.
So what if the difference here in power output? forgive me for a noob question, but I always get confused with the different power stats. Basically thinking of an upgrade, but just running through the specs. Thanks in advance. :)

Aug 28, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #930 of 1,058
Hi everyone. I've been looking at maybe buying the Ak70ii and so I was looking through the manual. I noticed it said there may be a lag when using it as a DAC. Has anyone tried using it as a DAC for Youtube or movies and , if so, was there a lag? I'd be uisng it mainly to listen to when I'm on my daily run, so this is not a big issue but I'd prefer to know up front.

Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back