Astell & Kern AK70 MKII with dual DAC
Jun 22, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #887 of 1,058
On this forum there are always people arguing that aac files from iTunes sound as good as FLAC, DSF, MQA; that stock cheap cables are the same as kryptonite anodized cables; or that balanced vs unbalanced makes no difference etc...

He just meant that balanced cables will make a difference whatever the head/earphones you attached it to, and that you should hear the difference. :ksc75smile:
I'm not arguing in favor in balanced cables over unbalanced cables in general, since a higher quality unbalanced cable will doubtless be capable of outperforming a much cheaper balanced cable, or even that balanced connections are always superior to unbalanced ones since that's something which will vary according to the device, (my AK380 for instance shows almost no change between the 3.5mm and 2.5mm jacks) but rather than in this specific instance the output from the balanced 2.5mm jack of the AK70 MKII is far superior to the 3.5mm unbalanced jack, and that even cheap earphones should be more than capable of demonstrating this when tested on both.

The Apple Airpod advise was not what i expected to read. If this is your serious recommendation over my current phones... im out of words.
I was playfully suggesting that if your ears aren't capable of telling the difference between the AK70 MKII's two outputs you should probably trade in your audiophile gear for a set of Airpods because you aren't likely to notice the difference, such is the improvement that 2.5mm jack will give you over the 3.5mm output.

Jun 22, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #888 of 1,058
Do you mean huge as in louder, or is the difference huge after volume matching both outputs?
The output for balanced vs un-balanced is different (4vrms vs 2vrms). So it should theoretically be louder no matter the earphones. But that is not objective of going balanced. The sound feels more refined, cleaner, bass gets tighter more defined, but not necessarily more boomy. It just sounds more musical, more spacious.
How much more improvement is dependant on the earphones. Your mileage may vary.

Jun 23, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #890 of 1,058
I would love to have the resume feature resume from where you are in the song, not start at the beginning of the song- that is my only complaint with ak70.
Time will tell.

This is a feature I would dearly love. I have the Mkii and it behaves the same way. I listen to a lot of opera and classical and some tracks are very long. It is very irritating not to have the player resume from where you left off. Is there a feature request anywhere (not that would hold my breath)?

Jun 23, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #891 of 1,058
This is a feature I would dearly love. I have the Mkii and it behaves the same way. I listen to a lot of opera and classical and some tracks are very long. It is very irritating not to have the player resume from where you left off. Is there a feature request anywhere (not that would hold my breath)?
I compile a list of feature requests that are posted here on Head-Fi and social media and submit them to our development team regularly. Cannot guarantee requests would get added, but we've added a number of new features that were first requested by users here and on our social media pages . I will add this to the request list

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jun 23, 2018 at 12:57 AM Post #892 of 1,058
I compile a list of feature requests that are posted here on Head-Fi and social media and submit them to our development team regularly. Cannot guarantee requests would get added, but we've added a number of new features that were first requested by users here and on our social media pages . I will add this to the request list

Thank you, and here's hoping

Jun 23, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #893 of 1,058
I'm sure there are many places to find affordable balanced cables online, mine was the cheapest (less than $30) from e-earphone in Japan, you don't need a $600 custom cable made of braided virgin hairs.

Yeah I bought mine for like $600-700 2 xmas ago, I have tried everything I could in a shop below $1200 and even though I wanted something more "cool" than just "meh, Shure", that's what sounded the best to me. Anything better since the last 2 years? Maybe, but that doesn't make them garbage choice.

I'm using the 846s with Mkii and they are great. The balanced cable makes a significant difference but custom ear buds also make a huge difference particularly if, like me, you have large ear canals. I have Snugs (I'm based in the UK)

Jul 17, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #899 of 1,058
Being new to this Expressway to Bankruptcy I have the Astell & Kern AK70 Mkii DAP (playing 16Bit & 24Bit FLAC) with Senheisser IE80S IEM's with Forza Audio UPOCC copper/silver (Hybrid Series) cable, 2.5mm TRRS Balanced connection, and to my ears it sounds incredible.

I also have a pair of Senheisser HD660S's with Forza Audio UPOCC copper/silver cable (Claire Hybrid HPC), ViaBlue 3.5mm connection, but the AK70Mk ii doesn't have the oomph to drive them so I hook up the AK70 (via USB) to an iFi iDSD BL, but whilst the iDSD BL is nore than powerful enough to drive the HD660S's I think I prefer the sound from the IE80S's direct from the AK

Would I be correct in thinking/assuming that the DAC on the AK is far more 'musical' than the iFi?

Jul 17, 2018 at 11:56 PM Post #900 of 1,058
Being new to this Expressway to Bankruptcy...

I have nothing to add or share except for a "lol" to this statement of fact.

Carry on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back