Astell & Kern AK70 MKII with dual DAC
Jun 21, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #872 of 1,058
The 846 sound amazing with it, but with balanced cable. I used the regular 3.5mm cable for few minutes and it lacked power, dynamics, etc. Maybe the dullness is justified here.

That's what confuses me about the 486. On almost any review site, it's heralded as the greatest thing since sliced bread - but on most forums, it's widely regarded as a bassy piece of crap. Methinks it's because for the retail price, you could probably find something better. But used when it goes for about $500 or lower, I think that's thrown out of the window right?

Jun 22, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #873 of 1,058
Possibly. I don't have the facilities to buy balanced earphones. I did look around but was unable to locate any.

Then you are just making misleading comments without first stating you were listening to them SE. You might want to edit your past posts.

The difference is rather huge SE vs balanced. You can just simply buy a balanced cable online for whatever headphones you have. Strapped for cash? Convert your 3.5mm TRS jack to a 2.5mm TRRS. It's that simple.

Jun 22, 2018 at 3:08 AM Post #874 of 1,058
Then you are just making misleading comments without first stating you were listening to them SE. You might want to edit your past posts.

The difference is rather huge SE vs balanced. You can just simply buy a balanced cable online for whatever headphones you have. Strapped for cash? Convert your 3.5mm TRS jack to a 2.5mm TRRS. It's that simple.

Where can I buy to Convert your 3.5mm TRS jack to a 2.5mm TRRS?

Thanks

Jun 22, 2018 at 6:10 AM Post #876 of 1,058
Where can I buy to Convert your 3.5mm TRS jack to a 2.5mm TRRS?

Thanks

You can't just buy a "converter", as long as you have the TRS jack in the chain it is still SE. You need to buy a 2.5mm jack, remove your existing 3.5mm jack. Rewire your cables to the 2.5mm jack in a balanced fashion.

Don't like soldering? Buy a new balanced cable.

Jun 22, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #877 of 1,058
I'm sure there are many places to find affordable balanced cables online, mine was the cheapest (less than $30) from e-earphone in Japan, you don't need a $600 custom cable made of braided virgin hairs.

That's what confuses me about the 486. On almost any review site, it's heralded as the greatest thing since sliced bread - but on most forums, it's widely regarded as a bassy piece of ****. Methinks it's because for the retail price, you could probably find something better. But used when it goes for about $500 or lower, I think that's thrown out of the window right?

Yeah I bought mine for like $600-700 2 xmas ago, I have tried everything I could in a shop below $1200 and even though I wanted something more "cool" than just "meh, Shure", that's what sounded the best to me. Anything better since the last 2 years? Maybe, but that doesn't make them garbage choice.

("bassy" for the 846 is really, really exaggerated)

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #878 of 1,058
I'm sure there are many places to find affordable balanced cables online, mine was the cheapest (less than $30) from e-earphone in Japan, you don't need a $600 custom cable made of braided virgin hairs.

Yeah I bought mine for like $600-700 2 xmas ago, I have tried everything I could in a shop below $1200 and even though I wanted something more "cool" than just "meh, Shure", that's what sounded the best to me. Anything better since the last 2 years? Maybe, but that doesn't make them garbage choice.

Absolutely, balanced cables are everywhere. If one takes the effort and money to purchase a DAP, surely you want to go balanced to reap the full benefits. 3.5mm on an AK DAP is really for convenience sake. It is not how it should be used.

Jun 22, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #879 of 1,058
I used the Fiio balanced cable from the f9's for a while then made my own from virgins hair and rocking horse sh!t :). The cheep Fiio ones where good on my 535's. The Virgins hair ones sounded a bit more detailed but not £100 more detailed.

Jun 22, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #880 of 1,058
Hmm i really have to get my hands on some balanced in/over ears. I currently use Yamaha EPH-100 in-ears and the sound is awesome out of the unbalanced output. If the balanced output will make this even better i will be in my personal audio heaven :angel:

I have some Pioneer SE-CH9T in-ears lying around. They got an exchangable cable.

Or do i need in/over ears in the price range of >$800 to experience the advantage of going balanced?

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #881 of 1,058
Hmm i really have to get my hands on some balanced in/over ears. I currently use Yamaha EPH-100 in-ears and the sound is awesome out of the unbalanced output. If the balanced output will make this even better i will be in my personal audio heaven :angel:

I have some Pioneer SE-CH9T in-ears lying around. They got an exchangable cable.

Or do i need in/over ears in the price range of >$800 to experience the advantage of going balanced?
Even budget IEMs like my $40 Chinese KZ ZS6's sound significantly better using the AK70 MKII's balanced jack as opposed to the unbalanced. If you aren't able to detect any difference between them your headphones/earphones would either be utterly terrible or you're in the wrong hobby and should probably buy a pair of Apple Airpods instead.

The 2.5mm balanced jack is absolutely the way to go and frankly I can't see the value of owning this player if you aren't going to use it as a smartphone would otherwise work almost as well.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #882 of 1,058
Even budget IEMs like my $40 Chinese KZ ZS6's sound significantly better using the AK70 MKII's balanced jack as opposed to the unbalanced. If you aren't able to detect any difference between them your headphones/earphones would either be utterly terrible or you're in the wrong hobby and should probably buy a pair of Apple Airpods instead.

The 2.5mm balanced jack is absolutely the way to go and frankly I can't see the value of owning this player if you aren't going to use it as a smartphone would otherwise work almost as well.

First of all im really happy with my chosen head-fi hobby and never had a single thought about being the wrong place for me. I already compared headphones / in ears and im able to hear differences but its the first time in get in contact/think about the balance option.

Im just about experiencing my new AK70 MK II device and im really enjoying it. The "fact" that the 2.5mm balance jack is the way to go makes wanna try it out. Thats great to hear.

The Apple Airpod advise was not what i expected to read. If this is your serious recommendation over my current phones... im out of words.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #883 of 1,058
On this forum there are always people arguing that aac files from iTunes sound as good as FLAC, DSF, MQA; that stock cheap cables are the same as kryptonite anodized cables; or that balanced vs unbalanced makes no difference etc...

He just meant that balanced cables will make a difference whatever the head/earphones you attached it to, and that you should hear the difference. :ksc75smile:

Jun 22, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #884 of 1,058
Agreed.

I have SE535s and moved from 3.5 to balanced and the difference is huge.

Do you mean huge as in louder, or is the difference huge after volume matching both outputs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back