Astell&Kern AK380
Jan 18, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #7,606 of 9,042
  Yes, it turned up yesterday, however I sent my player to Vinnie Rossi for a RedWine update and haven't got it back yet, but I'll let you know how I get on.

The instructions look fairly straightforward. I think using the correct 2Amp 5Volt adaptor makes a difference - using, for example, an Apple USB plug with the cable supplied probably won't provide enough power. It says that either the Ripper or the Cradle needs to be plugged in to the power but not both - I suppose you don't need the cradle if you don't have one. If anyone out there who has the Ripper wants to chip-in, does it work better either way?

Well, as you know, it works really well for me. I don't have a cradle so can't comment. As another commenter said: make sure you have wi-fi enabled so it can find the album art for you.

Jan 18, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #7,607 of 9,042
I thought Vince was done doing the mod?

Jan 18, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #7,609 of 9,042
  Yes, it turned up yesterday, however I sent my player to Vinnie Rossi for a RedWine update and haven't got it back yet, but I'll let you know how I get on.

The instructions look fairly straightforward. I think using the correct 2Amp 5Volt adaptor makes a difference - using, for example, an Apple USB plug with the cable supplied probably won't provide enough power. It says that either the Ripper or the Cradle needs to be plugged in to the power but not both - I suppose you don't need the cradle if you don't have one. If anyone out there who has the Ripper wants to chip-in, does it work better either way?

The cradle will supply power to the AK380 and the ripper. I use an Anker 2A USB charger with no Qualcomm trickery to ensure compatibiliry.

Jan 18, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #7,610 of 9,042

where to purchase the battery?

I asked AK support how much they charge for a replacement battery back in Nov 2014. I am still waiting for their response.

Jan 18, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #7,611 of 9,042

​Horrible. Spend so much money and cant get a battery replacement service.  My set is more than 1 year old and the battery cant even go pass 4 hours of normal flac listening on balanced output. Zero sustainability design and support.Unless they can provide the battery replacement service, this is going to be my last TOTL AK product

Jan 18, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #7,614 of 9,042
Give them a chance to respond... Have a little patience bro.
wink.gif

Have you tried calling them?

Yep, back then, I called their support line that went straight to voicemail, but it was always full so I couldn't leave a message. I sent about a dozen emails as well. I hope things get better with their support. My backup support was RWA, but as of Jan 2017, Vinnie is no longer offering mod services.

Jan 18, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #7,616 of 9,042
Best bet is to never run your battery below 20% and use a slow 1 amp charger. That should max out the life of the original battery. If all else fails, just strap and external battery like an external amp LOL.

Jan 18, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #7,617 of 9,042
Well, I guess I gotta eat crow.

Had a co-worker email the general support email from the new AK (iRiver) Store website (in case I was blacklisted from my prior email complaints LOL). In less than 5 min, he got a reply - $60 for a replacement battery service. You have to send it to AK service center and they have to do the replacement. They do not sell just the bare battery. Not sure what they do for international customers.

Things apparently have gotten better in the last 2 years at AK North America!

Also, when asked about the different AK380 options, support noted the Stainless Steel version was limited to 120 units.

I'm feeling a lot better about my decision to come back to AK instead of going for the new Sony DAPs.

Jan 18, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #7,619 of 9,042
Is the battery a standard available part or proprietary? I.e if we are happy to open it up can we find the part somewhere?

All lithium batteries are made from standard cells. However, the total battery module is proprietary to AK design and specs. I've never seen one on eBay. I think for US, the $60 is pretty reasonable for an authorized service.

Jan 18, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #7,620 of 9,042
Those are general enhancements I placed to enhance the signature of the CU towards a direction I wanted. I felt that it really made the 380 CU gain that extra oomph.

The bottle of oil is also a contact enhancement application which i apply between contact points between wires in a players.

Could I meet you to demo your Cu sometime? Very interesting!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back