Astell&Kern AK380
Jan 17, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #7,591 of 9,041
Ak380 copper amp can power HD800s?

Didn't know the amp can be used to work with 300 ohm headphones.

Yes it drives the HD800(S) easily, using balanced output and high gain. HE-1000 is harder to drive, but the AK380 amp does a very good job here too. Even with the HEK I cannot listen at volumes higher than 115 (out of max. 150), so there is some headroom left, which is essential for planar bass. Some may argue that there is still a stronger desktop amp needed to make the HEK really shine, but I am very satisfied with the AK380 amp here.

Jan 17, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #7,592 of 9,041
When I use the hd6xx or HD800 I need max volume without amp, with PM3 I'm good at 115.

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #7,594 of 9,041
I don't really know about that.
But from my experience, I think that currently VE6 is still the best IEM IMO.
Empire Ears Zeus, personally I like the EE Athena-VIII, but that's just my preference.

Jan 18, 2017 at 1:56 AM Post #7,597 of 9,041

Opened my player to do some general maintenance....opening it was easier than I thought lol

Nice! If you could post the basic steps that would be cool. May need to know to do our own battery replacement in the future.

Jan 18, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #7,599 of 9,041

Opened my player to do some general maintenance....opening it was easier than I thought lol

What are those stickers? And that bottle on top looks suspicious as well..

Jan 18, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #7,600 of 9,041
What are those stickers? And that bottle on top looks suspicious as well..

Those are general enhancements I placed to enhance the signature of the CU towards a direction I wanted. I felt that it really made the 380 CU gain that extra oomph.

The bottle of oil is also a contact enhancement application which i apply between contact points between wires in a players.

Jan 18, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #7,601 of 9,041
Those are general enhancements I placed to enhance the signature of the CU towards a direction I wanted. I felt that it really made the 380 CU gain that extra oomph.

The bottle of oil is also a contact enhancement application which i apply between contact points between wires in a players.

Could you describe what was those enhancements effects on the sound, please? I think we are very curious about it 
popcorn.gif

Jan 18, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #7,602 of 9,041
  Could you describe what was those enhancements effects on the sound, please? I think we are very curious about it 
popcorn.gif

Hmm, im not sure if you are referring specifically to the liquid or the sticker individually. But as a whole, the CU shifted towards the kind of sound you would get out of a tube amp like the WA8, without the lower-mid fuzz ofthe CDM. Of course, its still no where as powerful enough to drive most headphones, but for CIEMS, it has been rather welcome nudge. 

Now, i'm even less convinced that I'll need to shift to whatever AK4XX is coming up on the horizon haha...

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #7,603 of 9,041

If these Telos Quantum Stickers make a difference, why don't manufacturers apply similar stickers themselves? 25yrs ago I put all my CDs in the freezer for 2 days because I read that freezing caused rogue molecules to snap back into place, or something, improving the sound, so I'm as nutty as anyone when it comes to hi-fi snake-oilery. Just curious...

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #7,604 of 9,041

If these Telos Quantum Stickers make a difference, why don't manufacturers apply similar stickers themselves? 25yrs ago I put all my CDs in the freezer for 2 days because I read that freezing caused rogue molecules to snap back into place, or something, improving the sound, so I'm as nutty as anyone when it comes to hi-fi snake-oilery. Just curious...

Off topic, but just curious if you got your AK Ripper yet, Monty, and if so, what your thoughts are?

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #7,605 of 9,041
Yes, it turned up yesterday, however I sent my player to Vinnie Rossi for a RedWine update and haven't got it back yet, but I'll let you know how I get on.

The instructions look fairly straightforward. I think using the correct 2Amp 5Volt adaptor makes a difference - using, for example, an Apple USB plug with the cable supplied probably won't provide enough power. It says that either the Ripper or the Cradle needs to be plugged in to the power but not both - I suppose you don't need the cradle if you don't have one. If anyone out there who has the Ripper wants to chip-in, does it work better either way?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back