Astell&Kern AK380
Jan 15, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #7,546 of 9,041
I would agree I too think that the black with the red look the nicest of the 4. But this was a swap straight up for an AK300 which was sort of a Christmas gift :wink: how could I refuse. I have a Nave Blue case incoming and I'll post some pics when I receive it sometime next week.

Jan 15, 2017 at 2:12 AM Post #7,547 of 9,041
Jan 15, 2017 at 2:45 AM Post #7,548 of 9,041
Finally tested the Ak380 and Ak380 black when I went to shopping. Got the copper version from my friend aswell.
Here are my thoughts.
It is not as 'musical' as DX80, sounds more natural to me. Both the standard version, black and copper version are more natural sounding.
And it seems to me that the Ak380 utilize the soundstage well, and it feels like I am more involved in the music.
That being said, I really liked the Ak380. But I will definitely need so more digging and listening before I out another hole in my pocket.
I hear slight difference with copper and the black version.
Copper sounds best with X1 setting where I can feel that the soundstage isn't wasted and which the saxophone sound benefit from.
Black version is great for X2 setting in the other hand. It brings better separation and clarity between the instruments , in a bit different way than Copper version.
But here's the thing.
Copper version is almost nowhere to be found unless I go online shopping. Not so reliable on purchase like this.
Black version has a little bit improvements over the standard version. I am not sure if that will justify the extra cost.
Also, I have only listened to this for a mere 2 hours. Not sure if this will be my final choice.
Also, it doesn't seems the amp do much to the sound quality.
And I am not expert at describing the sound to these level. I used to enjoy the music. It is hard for me to describe how exactly does it 'sound' like.
I can tell you that it is good or bad, though.
I can't find Lotto Paw to listen yet.

Jan 15, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #7,549 of 9,041
If you find AK380 too expensive, I would highly recommend you Opus #2, very much cheaper and sounds excellent as well!

2okM1ab.jpg

I have heard about this brand before but never heard this model. It seems to be a very new product and from the reviews, doesn't sound bad at all. But I can't find this DAP in stores so I can't listen to it. Thanks for the suggestions though.

Jan 15, 2017 at 5:59 AM Post #7,551 of 9,041
​why is it black sound better than the normal AK380?

It probably due to it absorbing the heat or something. Or it probably has to deal with the fact that the original ak380 I was testing is old and was tuned to suit different IEMs. As the guy in the shop don't really let me to play around with the config too much(if that will make a difference). I am comparing ak380 standard version which has been used for a long time and is configured by the owner of the shop since he uses that DAP as a demo unit and the Ak380 black is not used much as it is pretty much used as a display unit.
I don't know the reason, but I don't have a new ak380 compare with. But there is a slight difference in my opinion. Or it is just me biasing ak380 black because it looks cooler.

Jan 15, 2017 at 6:40 AM Post #7,552 of 9,041
EQ off and software version same for both sets should be fair to do a comparison., When u said the old AK380 was tune to suit iem, did u mean the EQ? cant see any other way to tune AK380 except EQ.
Unless they use different brand components in the AK380 in different batches there might be chances it sounds differently.
Well the black doesn't really look appealing to me, if only its piano black, I would say Yes, it will be cool. just my humble opinion.

Jan 15, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #7,553 of 9,041
EQ off and software version same for both sets should be fair to do a comparison., When u said the old AK380 was tune to suit iem, did u mean the EQ? cant see any other way to tune AK380 except EQ.
Unless they use different brand components in the AK380 in different batches there might be chances it sounds differently.
Well the black doesn't really look appealing to me, if only its piano black, I would say Yes, it will be cool. just my humble opinion.

Probably you are right. But I don't think it is the eq. that will be weird since a few people even use eq when listening to high end audio. And I don't think
I am just accepting the fact that I biasing the Ak380 black. That seems most reasonable.

Jan 15, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #7,554 of 9,041
Jan 15, 2017 at 7:24 AM Post #7,555 of 9,041
I have heard about this brand before but never heard this model. It seems to be a very new product and from the reviews, doesn't sound bad at all. But I can't find this DAP in stores so I can't listen to it. Thanks for the suggestions though.

It's very good sounding and easily among the top tier dap on the market today.

Jan 15, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #7,556 of 9,041
I swapped with a friend of mine and became an owner of the AK380 Copper edition. Polished it up with a Dremel and some fiber clothes using great care and its shinning like new.

I don't own an AK380 and I've been wondering if the copper version would form a patina. Personally if I did own the copper I wouldn't polish it I would just let it age naturally, gives it character.

Jan 15, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #7,557 of 9,041
Im too OCD and yes the moment the copper gets touched, that area starts to form. So for me constant polishing is going to be norm. If I had a choice I would have gone black. But there is no way I'm complaining, I love the sound of the AK380 Copper.

Jan 15, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #7,558 of 9,041
Im too OCD and yes the moment the copper gets touched, that area starts to form. So for me constant polishing is going to be norm. If I had a choice I would have gone black. But there is no way I'm complaining, I love the sound of the AK380 Copper.

Actually if u ocd, do u know polishing u are actually removing a very thin layer of your copper everytime u polish it?! :fearful::cold_sweat::fearful:

Jan 15, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #7,559 of 9,041
of coarse I realize that, but its a very very thin amount and not in the least noticeable.

Jan 15, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #7,560 of 9,041

Users who are viewing this thread

Back