Astell&Kern AK380
Jan 12, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #7,531 of 9,041
Congrats on picking up an AK380. A solid purchase indeed!
smile.gif

Like you, I've grown to value the usability and function of AK's UI. Simple and effective.

Thanks. CU amp is on its' way! I would really like my desktop space back so this just may be the ticket.

Update - very glad that AK still allows importing of M3U playlists that can still find the individual tracks across internal and SD card memory without needing to modify the path. Just need to make sure both internal and SD tracks are in a folder called "Music".

Would be great if AK could update the firmware with a 'virtual folder view" which just lists the contents of both internal and SD Music directories alphabetically in one list. Since the playlist can do it, should be simple to do.

Jan 14, 2017 at 3:36 AM Post #7,532 of 9,041
Hi.
I am new to this forum.
I bought Ve6 XC few months ago and sound pretty nice paired with DX80.
Does any one know if Ve6 will work well on Ak380 as well?
I am thinking of an upgrade to my DX80. It doesn't sound that good at all and limiting the performance of Ve6.
If it does work well, then what version of Ak380 will you recommend? Standard, Copper (if I can still find it), black or the stainless steel version?

Jan 14, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #7,533 of 9,041
Hi.
I am new to this forum.
I am thinking of an upgrade to my DX80. It doesn't sound that good at all and limiting the performance of Ve6.
If it does work well, then what version of Ak380 will you recommend? Standard, Copper (if I can still find it), black or the stainless steel version?

Well I have not heard the Ve6 XC before, so I can't comment on the pairing with 380. But 380 is a bit of an investment so it is wise to audition prior to making purchase decision. This is specially true when deciding between standard, copper, black or SS version as some can hear a different and some cannot. Also until you put a version in your hand you really don't know how much you will like a particular version. Depending where you are at, many stores carry several versions, or if you can attend a headfi event near you, you will most like be able to see/hear all of them. It is true that the Copper is getting harder to find now. But once you decide which version you like, you can also look for it in the used market. It is a fine machine, Good luck with your search.

Jan 14, 2017 at 5:31 AM Post #7,534 of 9,041
Hi.
I am new to this forum.

The AK380 is quite a huge leap from the DX80, especially in terms of price. If all you want is a clear sonic upgrade to the DX80, you might want to consider the AK300 or the AK320 instead. The latter is most similar to the AK380 in terms of sound (in the AK stable of DAPs, that is). If you want the best that AK has to offer, many have cited the copper version as its absolute TOTL.

Out of curiosity, what don't you like about the DX80?

Jan 14, 2017 at 5:40 AM Post #7,535 of 9,041
The AK380 is quite a huge leap from the DX80, especially in terms of price. If all you want is a clear sonic upgrade to the DX80, you might want to consider the AK300 or the AK320 instead. The latter is most similar to the AK380 in terms of sound (in the AK stable of DAPs, that is). If you want the best that AK has to offer, many have cited the copper version as its absolute TOTL.

If you find AK380 too expensive, I would highly recommend you Opus #2, very much cheaper and sounds excellent as well!

2okM1ab.jpg

Jan 14, 2017 at 6:38 AM Post #7,536 of 9,041

Are you trying to deprive him the psychological satisfaction of owning a beautiful 380CU? :D On headfi it is our duty to encourage other to spend :D

Jan 14, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #7,537 of 9,041

It's not really a hate.
But here are my thoughts about DX80.
My DX80 is great but it comes with a slight background noise (I don't know if it only happens on my DX80 or does others also have the same issue), it got fixed mostly in the firmware updates and is not really noticeable on SE846. But when using VE6 XC, it starts picking up the noise. And is kinda noticeable when using the X2 setting.
Also, I think VE6 XC deserves more than DX80 so I am thinking of a better one.

Jan 14, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #7,539 of 9,041
Oh no.
For me, money isn't really a big concern as long as I am still in the IEM+DAP category and not something like T+A PA 3000 HV +Sennheiser Orpheus.

To me, my iem + dap trump Orpheus anytime :D

Jan 14, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #7,540 of 9,041
More AK380 CU impressions with balanced Laylas (bass dials at 11 o'clock):

Bass - excellent extension thru sub bass. I would not characterize the low end as fast and tight, but it's not loose or boomy either. It's got the punch, but a slower decay and nice reverb. Lots of textures and easy to discern the different instruments. Very natural imho. Outstanding on walking bass lines.

Mids - imaging is nicely centered and a little forward, but not too much imho. I don't hear any bleed from mid bass into the mids. I would characterize the mids as on the warm side. Nice complements to alto and soprano vocals.

Highs - nice extension and well below sibilance. no fatigue at all. Details are distinct. Overall I would say a little laid back.

Sound stage - I would not say this is an intimate, up front soundstage. To my ears, the sound is more further back and nicely balanced width and depth. Perhaps a little more depth than width.

Overall, when I think about how to describe the sound - musical, analog, organic, smooth, gentle, flow come to mind. I listen to a range of music from prog rock to classical and if I had to personally rate best genre fit to the AK380 CU, I would go with:

1) Classic Jazz (quartets, etc)
2) Acoustic (Latin jazz in particular)
3) Vocals
4) Classical
5) Classic Prog Rock
6) Modern Jazz
7) Everything else

The interesting thing that comes to mind for me is this - in the "everything else" category, I think my iPhone and AAC files to the AK XB10 bluetooth DAC is more than sufficient and I am ok with that. It just doesn't seem right to me to just play your average tracks with so-so mixing/mastering on the AK380 CU even though it can. It's like thinking I would never take selfies with a Leica camera, but when I see a special moment in time, absolutely give me a Leica with manual controls and let me enjoy the moment. Just my commentary.

Edit - The above was the impressions without EQ. Trying the Pro EQ, I hear a slightly tighter bass and a touch more forward treble.

TH900 pairing note - these are fairly easy to drive and plenty of volume at 100 while Laylas were around 75. Those familiar with TH900 know the U shaped FR and slightly recessed mids. Paired with the CU, it's a more neutral analytical sound versus Laylas. Very intimate with treble very much forward. Bass is tighter and faster, but I'm missing some sub-bass that I know the TH900 can deliver.

I am eagerly waiting for the CU amp to arrive as I think it will add a little dynamics to the Laylas. Will probably leave the TH900 paired with my CDM with possible stacking with the AK380. The idea of trimming down my equipment to one DAP, 2 phones, and 2 amps is very welcomed.

Jan 14, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #7,542 of 9,041
I swapped with a friend of mine and became an owner of the AK380 Copper edition. Polished it up with a Dremel and some fiber clothes using great care and its shinning like new.

Jan 14, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #7,543 of 9,041
Are you trying to deprive him the psychological satisfaction of owning a beautiful 380CU?
biggrin.gif
On headfi it is our duty to encourage other to spend
biggrin.gif

Sorry, what was I thinking? It was a momentarily lapse where my conscience took over. Won't make that same mistake again. 
biggrin.gif

It's not really a hate.
But here are my thoughts about DX80.
My DX80 is great but it comes with a slight background noise (I don't know if it only happens on my DX80 or does others also have the same issue), it got fixed mostly in the firmware updates and is not really noticeable on SE846. But when using VE6 XC, it starts picking up the noise. And is kinda noticeable when using the X2 setting.
Also, I think VE6 XC deserves more than DX80 so I am thinking of a better one.

Well, I don't think the DX80 is that bad a source, but yes, it could be a bottleneck. You can definitely try a few top-notch DAPs out there, the AK320 and AK380 being among the best. You could also give the Lotoo Paw Gold a shot. 
smile.gif

Jan 14, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #7,544 of 9,041
  I swapped with a friend of mine and became an owner of the AK380 Copper edition. Polished it up with a Drimmel and some fiber clothes using great care and its shinning like new.

Nice!

The copper sure does look beautiful, but I think the black edition is the best looking of the 4. 
wink.gif

Jan 15, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #7,545 of 9,041
Wow,

AK380 CU balanced out to balanced in ALO CDM w/6021 Mullard tubes is really nice with the Laylas. Brings the overall sound back to neutral/transparent and adds some air to the highs. More intimate but not in your face. Will be interesting to see how the AK amp stacks up. I'm hoping it's close because there is no joy in lugging around this CU/CDM stack with it's wallwort charger. But I can see this standing up to some of the higher end desktop systems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back