Astell&Kern AK380
Jan 3, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #7,396 of 9,040
Mine reads Sandisk 256GB - had a Samsung 256 that it didn't like - AK recommend Sandisk, so I'd stick to that brand.

Yes, because SanDisk partitioned theirs with MBR by default, and Samsung uses GPT.  But again, AK really should get their act together on GPT support on SD cards.

Jan 3, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #7,397 of 9,040
  Yes, because SanDisk partitioned theirs with MBR by default, and Samsung uses GPT.  But again, AK really should get their act together on GPT support on SD cards.

I've used no larger a card than 128, but have always formated the card first (in a PC). Should I not do this? Or should I let the 380 format (erase) the card? What's the best way with SanDisk cards please?

Jan 3, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #7,398 of 9,040
  I've used no larger a card than 128, but have always formated the card first (in a PC). Should I not do this? Or should I let the 380 format (erase) the card? What's the best way with SanDisk cards please?

Formatting and partitioning are two different things, and since SanDisk by default partitioned in MBR, you will be fine having it format with PC or the DAP.  For GPT partitioned cards you need to use Disk Management or something like Partition Magic to have it repartition back into MBR (then format.)  However, a new SanDisk card should just work when you pop it into the DAP.

p.s. I have used SanDisk 200Gb in stock form with the AK380 before, and their newer 256Gb should work fine too.
p.p.s. Read this: http://www.wikihow.com/Partition-an-SD-Card but for step 10 use FAT32 instead.

Jan 3, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #7,399 of 9,040
  Formatting and partitioning are two different things, and since SanDisk by default partitioned in MBR, you will be fine having it format with PC or the DAP.  For GPT partitioned cards you need to use Disk Management or something like Partition Magic to have it repartition back into MBR (then format.)  However, a new SanDisk card should just work when you pop it into the DAP.

p.s. I have used SanDisk 200Gb in stock form with the AK380 before, and their newer 256Gb should work fine too.
p.p.s. Read this: http://www.wikihow.com/Partition-an-SD-Card but for step 10 use FAT32 instead.

Thank you for the help :)

Jan 3, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #7,400 of 9,040
I didn't need to format my Sandisk 256GB either in the AK or on my PC  - it just worked straight out the box.

Jan 3, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #7,401 of 9,040
Because alot of ak380 users got it because it was totl, but generalising isn't civilised or maybe not :joy:.

I posted this once and i have to post it again.
https://youtu.be/NCwBkNgPZFQ

Whatever... dont take it offensivly or personally enjoy ur purchase.

Actually, I'm just interested in auditioning the WM1Z, just like I'd like to try every major (or semi-major) product from other companies.

So far, the AK380 fits my bill as the best player for my needs - a combination of good sound, storage space, ease-of-use (UI) and looks contribute to its ranking. This might change in future, but it's not necessarily because I need to have the best on the market.

Jan 3, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #7,402 of 9,040
I always find myself wondering back into this thread... Curious about the 380,in its various forms. Maybe I'll get their next new big thing. The ak4xxx... In stainless or copper. I'll probably end up passing on the 380. For now, I'll enjoy my Sony nw-wm1z and Cowon S. Maybe the Ibasso dx200 too...

Jan 3, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #7,403 of 9,040
The Sandisk Ultra 200 and 256GB cards won't work well with the AK Recorder BTW because their write speeds is not sufficient for the more demanding bitrates like DSD 128. Sandisk deliberately don't quote the write speed because it is less than half of the read speed. There was meant to be a Sandisk Extreme Plus 256GB card, announced last June but it has never been released. I guess they have run into production issues. The Extreme Plus range (currently maxing out at 128GB) achieves near equal read and write performance. For most this probably is of no interest but thought I would mention it.

Jan 3, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #7,404 of 9,040
I always find myself wondering back into this thread... Curious about the 380,in its various forms. Maybe I'll get their next new big thing. The ak4xxx... In stainless or copper. I'll probably end up passing on the 380. For now, I'll enjoy my Sony nw-wm1z and Cowon S. Maybe the Ibasso dx200 too...

I´m not sure if you´d like the sound of the AK3XX Daps, when I look at your current sources.....

Jan 3, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #7,405 of 9,040
  The Sandisk Ultra 200 and 256GB cards won't work well with the AK Recorder BTW because their write speeds is not sufficient for the more demanding bitrates like DSD 128. Sandisk deliberately don't quote the write speed because it is less than half of the read speed. There was meant to be a Sandisk Extreme Plus 256GB card, announced last June but it has never been released. I guess they have run into production issues. The Extreme Plus range (currently maxing out at 128GB) achieves near equal read and write performance. For most this probably is of no interest but thought I would mention it.

You are correct.  However, my experience on the slow down has mostly been related to scrolling, scanning, and indexing, and not DSD plays back (even at DSD256).  The current gen of 200+ Gb cards are all Class 10 or U1 rated, so the situation won't improve unless U3 or above cards come out.  I suggest getting one of those cheap microSD to SD adapter and use faster rated cards if this really bother you.

Jan 3, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #7,406 of 9,040

I'm extremely interest in the recorder as I know almost nothing about it and the only information I can find online is to do with recording from vinyl LP - not something I need to do. Is this (a record deck) the only source from which it can record? I ask because I play guitar and use a Kemper Profiler and wondered if it was possible to record from that to AK Recorder.

Jan 3, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #7,408 of 9,040
I agree... Which is/was my primary reason for not getting one. I did like the ak240 though, very much.

The AK240 has a different sound signature. Maybe try to get one second hand. Also available in gold....  
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Jan 3, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #7,409 of 9,040
  I'm extremely interest in the recorder as I know almost nothing about it and the only information I can find online is to do with recording from vinyl LP - not something I need to do. Is this (a record deck) the only source from which it can record? I ask because I play guitar and use a Kemper Profiler and wondered if it was possible to record from that to AK Recorder.

I use it for recording piano and guitar also. Please note that the AK recorder priced at 999 USD does NOT include microphones. It has mini XLR connectors and cables to connect to standard phantom powered microphones. I have some AKG microphones that work very well with it. There is apparently a bundle of AK recorder with microphones but it is about 3000 USD if I recall! I am not very familiar with the Kemper Profiler, but I assume in your case you would be looking at line input from that? It looks like there is a balanced line level output, which can also connect to the AK recorder using the same mini XLR connectors and bundled cables and simply switching the input on the AK recorder to line level input instead of mic.

There is a thread for this device I created
http://www.head-fi.org/t/819985/ak-astell-kern-recorder-prf11-owners-thread

Jan 3, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #7,410 of 9,040

I use it for recording piano and guitar also. Please note that the AK recorder priced at 999 USD does NOT include microphones. It has mini XLR connectors and cables to connect to standard phantom powered microphones. I have some AKG microphones that work very well with it. There is apparently a bundle of AK recorder with microphones but it is about 3000 USD if I recall! I am not very familiar with the Kemper Profiler, but I assume in your case you would be looking at line input from that? It looks like there is a balanced line level output, which can also connect to the AK recorder using the same mini XLR connectors and bundled cables and simply switching the input on the AK recorder to line level input instead of mic.

There is a thread for this device I created
http://www.head-fi.org/t/819985/ak-astell-kern-recorder-prf11-owners-thread

https://us.astellnkern.com/products/ak-recorder?variant=30574335555

The complete AK Recorder and mic bundle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back