Astell&Kern AK380
Dec 14, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #7,129 of 9,042
  now I'm looking for some compact amplifier for this player, I'm going to use it on the street!

I'm using my AK380 with an ALO Rx Mk3-B+. They are a little huge when stacked together, but the sound is awesome. So, if you are looking for a smaller amp, I've found the Rx (IEM version) and Vorzuge's Pure II and Duo versions playing nice with my AK240.

Dec 14, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #7,130 of 9,042
That is a good combo. Have you try the Cv5? Also, in doing lineout you can output all level of DSD, right? As I recall, the optical out cannot do DSD.

Dec 14, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #7,131 of 9,042
I was a happy owner of the AK380CU few days ago when i found out that there's distortion/hissing coming from both SE and Balanced output each time the volume is turned up to 130+. Line out is worse. I just send my unit back to my dealer for RMA. Hopefully its fixed soon. Anyone had these issues before? And whats the estimated time of RMA 'ing. Many Thanks! :)

Dec 14, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #7,132 of 9,042
I was a happy owner of the AK380CU few days ago when i found out that there's distortion/hissing coming from both SE and Balanced output each time the volume is turned up to 130+. Line out is worse. I just send my unit back to my dealer for RMA. Hopefully its fixed soon. Anyone had these issues before? And whats the estimated time of RMA 'ing. Many Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

130+?  Wow, the volume level on mine never approaches that number.  No surprised it hisses at that level!  Hope they get it fixed to your liking.

Dec 14, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #7,133 of 9,042
I was a happy owner of the AK380CU few days ago when i found out that there's distortion/hissing coming from both SE and Balanced output each time the volume is turned up to 130+. Line out is worse. I just send my unit back to my dealer for RMA. Hopefully its fixed soon. Anyone had these issues before? And whats the estimated time of RMA 'ing. Many Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

I happened to know one of the local folks over here who had a distortion issue at any volume setting with his AK380 (duralumin). It was eventually sent back to AK and about to 2 months for him to get it back. I asked him what AK diagnosed the problem as and he was told it was a board issue. AK replaced the board at no charge but I think it was more of a favor kind of thing since his unit was 13 months old at the time it was sent back. Hope you get yours back sooner.

Dec 15, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #7,136 of 9,042
Thab
I happened to know one of the local folks over here who had a distortion issue at any volume setting with his AK380 (duralumin). It was eventually sent back to AK and about to 2 months for him to get it back. I asked him what AK diagnosed the problem as and he was told it was a board issue. AK replaced the board at no charge but I think it was more of a favor kind of thing since his unit was 13 months old at the time it was sent back. Hope you get yours back sooner.

Thanks bro. I had mine for only 5 days. Thank god i detected the issue early while i was trying out line out with kse1500. The hiss starts at 130.

Dec 15, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #7,138 of 9,042
Bro. Maybe u misunderstood. I use line out for amp. The hiss starts at 130. Standalone i use only 80 - 95 max.

You're right.  I thought you were listening at 130, standalone.  Apologies.  Again, I hope they get it fixed for you.

Dec 15, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #7,139 of 9,042
That is a good combo. Have you try the Cv5? Also, in doing lineout you can output all level of DSD, right? As I recall, the optical out cannot do DSD.

I've never tried the CV5 before, although I've heard its bigger brother, the CDM on a few occasions. The latter was a pretty solid amp, although it tended to sound a little too warm for my tastes.

With line-out to my amp, I can play the DSD files natively, since it doesn't bypass the AK380's internal DAC. But yes, I think you are right - using the optical out results in DSD files being converted to PCM for playback.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back