Astell&Kern AK380
Sep 17, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #6,421 of 9,040
  Thank you for your info Wayne, saw your post on AK FB page and added anotherone. I really don't what to do now, spend so much money for AK player and then find out TIDAL will never happen or buy a DAP from other brand. If AK support could at least confirm that TIDAL will 100% be in a future I would go for it right away but… Tough day :)

I did not realized that TIDAL was not implemented in the A&K DAPs !!
eek.gif

Hard to believe when my Pioneer XDP-100R offer  Tidal  +  MQA  (and 2 microSD slots) for less than $1000  !!    

Come on A&K....wake up to 2016 !

Sep 17, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #6,422 of 9,040
I did not realized that TIDAL was not implemented in the A&K DAPs !! :eek:

Hard to believe when my Pioneer XDP-100R offer  Tidal  +  MQA  (and 2 microSD slots) for less than $1000  !!    

Come on A&K....wake up to 2016 !

And I thought A&K flag ships were intended mostly for dsd.

( Wouldn't bother paying 4k or whatever above 2k for flac or mp3. Unless I want to show off, or satisfy my mind with having what's claimed (by media) to be the best)

Sep 17, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #6,423 of 9,040
And I thought A&K flag ships were intended mostly for dsd. (Yes)

( Wouldn't bother paying 4k or whatever above 2k for flac or mp3. Unless I want to show off (Yes), or satisfy my mind with having what's claimed (by media) to be the best) (and Yes)

Yes, Yes, and Yes. I want to show off,
biggrin.gif
 I want everyone tells me "you're so vain",
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
 I consider the 380cu is the fastest way to fix my ego than twenty sessions with a shrink.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
  Come to think about it, the fact that the sound of the 380cu is the best of the best is just bonus, I already got my money worth from feeling this good.
wink.gif

Sep 18, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #6,425 of 9,040
  Can anyone compare the Onkyo DP-X1 to AK380? I'd love to hear what someone who used both of them has to say about the sound quality.

Two words. No comparison. I've owned the Pioneer XDP100R, friends in my audio circle used the DPX1 as their daily driver, and one thing we all agree is that, even the AK70 is one step above the DPX1. Yes, the DPX 1 on balanced is more 'engaging', which is I suppose what most people are looking for, but it lacks the that touch of finesse when compared against the new gen of AK players. Said friends who used to rave about the DPX1, even going as far as to purchase custom made leather cases for their players, have already switched over to the AK70, the AK300 or the AK320. I personally moved to the AK380black, and then the 380CU. 

So, in a nutshell. its really not worth going for the DPX1 now. For the person looking for the most bang for his buck, I'd recommend the AK70, divert those extra funds towards a good, resolving CIEM (reference orientated tuning), and then start learning just how much of the song you had been missing previously, before moving up the ladder. 

And yes, I agree that streaming services isnt the purpose of the 380. Streaming in itself is a compromise on the sound quality, and if that was my purpose, I'd just go AK300 (if I could like its darker sound signature lol). 

Sep 18, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #6,426 of 9,040
Mmm....no contest: the AK 380 cu is a much better DAP over the DP X1. It is clearer, cleaner-sounding, more refined, better soundstage and better instrument separation. But I seem to be using my DP X1 more often (10 to 1) because of Tidal.com. Why? Because of the sheer variety of music and artists that I can listen to at any time. I'm at that point in my journey where I have more than enough headfi gear that it does not matter anymore to add one more or one better. It is about the music and just enjoying it. I am still expecting A & K to integrate Tidal.com in a future software update.

Sep 18, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #6,427 of 9,040
Yes, Yes, and Yes. I want to show off, :D  I want everyone tells me "you're so vain", :D :D  I consider the 380cu is the fastest way to fix my ego than twenty sessions with a shrink. :D :D :D   Come to think about it, the fact that the sound of the 380cu is the best of the best is just bonus, I already got my money worth from feeling this good.:wink:

Apparently, you didn't get what I've said.

Sep 18, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #6,428 of 9,040
Apparently, you didn't get what I've said.

Sorry about that, I was just having a little fun with your post, really wasn't intended as a response to you. Just trying to make a stupid point, that's all. I meant no harm.

Sep 18, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #6,429 of 9,040
And I thought A&K flag ships were intended mostly for dsd.

( Wouldn't bother paying 4k or whatever above 2k for flac or mp3. Unless I want to show off, or satisfy my mind with having what's claimed (by media) to be the best)

I think even well mastered FLAC/CD can have a sound quality which can benefit from AK players. 99,9% of music I listen to is and never will be available in DSD anyway. TIDAL stream is based on losless FLAC so for me it's absolutely sufficient. And with TIDAL, you can listen almost anything anytime and don't have to bother with ripping your CDs, which has became somehow annoing thing to do. It's about freedom. So please AK, give us TIDAL and I'm yours. So far missing TIDAL is no no for me…

Or maybe I could buy AK300 just for introducing me into AK world and after possible TIDAL update sell it and get 320 or 380 as an end of a game DAP :)

Sep 18, 2016 at 6:33 AM Post #6,430 of 9,040
  I think even well mastered FLAC/CD can have a sound quality which can benefit from AK players. 99,9% of music I listen to is and never will be available in DSD anyway. TIDAL stream is based on losless FLAC so for me it's absolutely sufficient. And with TIDAL, you can listen almost anything anytime and don't have to bother with ripping your CDs, which has became somehow annoing thing to do. It's about freedom. So please AK, give us TIDAL and I'm yours. So far missing TIDAL is no no for me…

Or maybe I could buy AK300 just for introducing me into AK world and after possible TIDAL update sell it and get 320 or 380 as an end of a game DAP :)

Heard Tidal is $28M in debt...

Sep 18, 2016 at 6:43 AM Post #6,431 of 9,040

Two words. No comparison. I've owned the Pioneer XDP100R, friends in my audio circle used the DPX1 as their daily driver, and one thing we all agree is that, even the AK70 is one step above the DPX1. Yes, the DPX 1 on balanced is more 'engaging', which is I suppose what most people are looking for, but it lacks the that touch of finesse when compared against the new gen of AK players. Said friends who used to rave about the DPX1, even going as far as to purchase custom made leather cases for their players, have already switched over to the AK70, the AK300 or the AK320. I personally moved to the AK380black, and then the 380CU. 

So, in a nutshell. its really not worth going for the DPX1 now. For the person looking for the most bang for his buck, I'd recommend the AK70, divert those extra funds towards a good, resolving CIEM (reference orientated tuning), and then start learning just how much of the song you had been missing previously, before moving up the ladder. 

And yes, I agree that streaming services isnt the purpose of the 380. Streaming in itself is a compromise on the sound quality, and if that was my purpose, I'd just go AK300 (if I could like its darker sound signature lol). 

Thank you and raypin for your help. I'm actually thinking about getting a new player next year, so I'm trying to see if there's something better than the Pico Slim and iPod combo that I currently use with my Westone ES5 IEMs. If you've used this combo before, what's your take on its SQ compared to the Onkyo and AK players? If you could give the Pico&iPod combo a rating from 1 to 10 and other specific players a similar rating, I think it would help me and probably other people who are planning an upgrade, to take a better decision. Thank you again for chiming in.

Sep 18, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #6,433 of 9,040
Thank you and raypin for your help. I'm actually thinking about getting a new player next year, so I'm trying to see if there's something better than the Pico Slim and iPod combo that I currently use with my Westone ES5 IEMs. If you've used this combo before, what's your take on its SQ compared to the Onkyo and AK players? If you could give the Pico&iPod combo a rating from 1 to 10 and other specific players a similar rating, I think it would help me and probably other people who are planning an upgrade, to take a better decision. Thank you again for chiming in.

I still have the PICO slim and several IPods. The problem is not with the PICO slim, the slim is a good amp for iems, very quiet and transparent, the problem is with the IPod. The iPod is dated. Today's daps like the AKs or the Lotoos with Hires materials are several levels up from the iPod. On a scale from 1 to 10, I will give the Pico/iPod combo a 4 and if you are not a picky/critical/discriminant listener may be even a 5. The AK 300 series is at least a 8 to 10 depending on which version. Also, the ES5 can be improved upon significantly. The IPod cannot play hires materials. if you acquire some of the the later offerings in hires material, the whole package is night and day different. I would start upgrading from the source in the chain. I used to have a stack of three piece (iPod-Solo-balance DAC-balance amp) combo, now my 380cu beats them all.

Sep 18, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #6,434 of 9,040
Mmm....if AK 380 cu/cu amp (5 grand) is just too pricey and if the successor to the AK 380 cu will be even pricier ( lol! Effin' obvious), a very good alternative is a mid-tier DAP and a very good amp/dac or amp. Use the savings to upgrade your in-ear or ciem.

Sep 18, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #6,435 of 9,040
Mmm....if AK 380 cu/cu amp (5 grand) is just too pricey and if the successor to the AK 380 cu will be even pricier ( lol! Effin' obvious), a very good alternative is a mid-tier DAP and a very good amp/dac or amp. Use the savings to upgrade your in-ear or ciem.

Agreed that the price to benefit ratio is nothing to laugh at. The problem, is that I get frustrated knowing that one part of the chain isnt the best that it could be. Its the same reason why I have not entered Hi-Fi. I will not settle for anything but the best, which rules headphones out (if you're going to be stationary why settle for headphones?), and standing speakers will most certainly blow a hole in my wallet that i am simply unable to cope with (no way am I shelling out 200 grand for a full system when I will have a house to pay for). I had initially thought of getting the old gen Orpheus (which I have heard before), or taking my chance with the new HE01, but decided against it for reasons stated earlier.

So, I'd recommend going all out in the entire line up, dont cut corners on the player, the amp, cables or the CIEM itself. I tried that, and I wasted even more money trying to resell my mid-tier stuff (Lotoo Paw gold-->Ak320-->AK380-->Ak380CU) just trying to move up. Just go for the best, no matter how long it takes to save up. In the long run you end up saving alot more. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back