Astell&Kern AK380
Mar 22, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #4,126 of 9,041
mmm.....I have the iPod Classic (128 GB)  in my small collection. It is a  good DAP and I've paired it with the Cypher Labs 720, making this pairing the best in terms of battery life (longer than 18 hours non-stop playback), ideal for long-haul trips abroad). SQ is acceptable. Cons: no balanced input/output, not ideal with high-sensitivity in-ears (it hisses a lot)/poor noise floor (with the 720), limited to 16 /44 tracks,  does not support flac, ideal really for Apple's walled-garden ecosystem only, the backside is very prone to scratching, obsolete.  Is it as good as the AK 380/cu? Heck no. Period.

Mar 23, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #4,127 of 9,041
Not sure how well an iPod sounds or compares against the 380Cu as I have never owned one. However, the only time that I have been truly disappointed with the performance of my 380Cu and Cu amp combination is after listening to this system for a day last week........ 

It took me a good few days to cleanse myself of the sonic magnificence of this wonderful system.

Albeit the components in this system probably does not measure flat BUT damn, the LSO was performing right in front of me for that 40 odd minutes in one very special original vinyl pressing album.

Anyways, I am please to report that things have regained normalcy, and once again the 380Cu & Cu amp sounds alluringly beautiful to my ears........

ksc75smile.gif

Mar 23, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #4,128 of 9,041
  Not sure how well an iPod sounds or compares against the 380Cu as I have never owned one. However, the only time that I have been truly disappointed with the performance of my 380Cu and Cu amp combination is after listening to this system for a day last week........ 

It took me a good few days to cleanse myself of the sonic magnificence of this wonderful system.

Albeit the components in this system probably does not measure flat BUT damn, the LSO was performing right in front of me for that 40 odd minutes in one very special original vinyl pressing album.

Anyways, I am please to report that things have regained normalcy, and once again the 380Cu & Cu amp sounds alluringly beautiful to my ears........

ksc75smile.gif

Careful. Someone may just come in to say a budget home system will sound just as good, if not better, than the above set-up. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 23, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #4,129 of 9,041

Careful. Someone may just come in to say a budget home system will sound just as good, if not better, than the above set-up. 
biggrin.gif

My home budget system sounds just as good, if not better than that set-up

wink_face.gif

Mar 23, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #4,130 of 9,041

biggrin.gif

With pleasure: http://matrixhifi.com/ENG_contenedor_ppec.htm

And one from our own site! http://www.head-fi.org/t/578621/cables-tested-with-results
Though it only is about cables, it can be said about all tests not done blind. Sighted: wow huge difference! Blindfolded: huh am I listening to the same cable (DAP, cd player, dac etc etc) the whole time? Not to say that all daps, dacs, amps and cd players do sound the same, but there is a huge difference when people actually close their eyes. The often read night and day difference vanishes as snow in the sun.

Mar 23, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #4,131 of 9,041
Any suggestions for how to get a response from AK/Iriver for support?  The back on my unit doesn't sit flush, and it's causing a problem with matching the pins on the amp. (No response from Alex An on Facebook).

Mar 23, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #4,135 of 9,041
mmm......" you complete me."

Just got the amp tonite. Will be spending many, many, many wonderful hours testing Astell & Kern's greatest.....physically, a beautiful
piece of headfi equipment.

Mar 23, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #4,136 of 9,041

Just got the amp tonite. Will be spending many, many, many wonderful hours testing Astell & Kern's greatest.....physically, a beautiful

Congratulations........

I am sure you will enjoy it!!! Yup it is gorgeous together as a unit.

Doing a little experiment with mine at the moment...
wink_face.gif

Mar 23, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #4,137 of 9,041
You try calling them? Seems that was the best way to reach in the past.

Thanks, warrior1975, but I can't find a phone number (other than FAX) on their website.  If you have it, could you please share?

Thanks.

Mar 23, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #4,138 of 9,041

Beautiful piece of equipment, there!  Congratulations!

Mar 23, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #4,139 of 9,041

Spent the last few hours, speeding up patina on my 380Cu & Cu amp. To eliminate the month's difference in tarnish between the 380Cu and Cu amp!

Using school boy chemistry methods consisting of eggs for sulphur and a tupaware container........may repeat process in the coming weeks to really darken the copper 

bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back