Astell&Kern AK380
Mar 21, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #4,096 of 9,040

I don't think adding the amp makes any different as the power is independent to each other. 

I didn't think so, either.  I just wanted to include it in case someone had a different opinion.

Mar 21, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #4,097 of 9,040
Okay, here's what I found: Without amp I got a little less than 5 hours running random 16/44 songs in Flac.  Unit was on 100% at 3:30p and shut down at 8:24p.  Not as bad as I thought, but not great, either.

Mar 21, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #4,098 of 9,040
  Okay, here's what I found: Without amp I got a little less than 5 hours running random 16/44 songs in Flac.  Unit was on 100% at 3:30p and shut down at 8:24p.  Not as bad as I thought, but not great, either.

It is a fact that all AK DAPs have terrible battery life, maybe 4-5 hours max playing redbook, DSD consumes much more. There is simply no space inside for a bigger battery, and I doubt power management is much of a focus for the AK operating system. Makes you think how does something like the Sony NW-ZX2 achieve such staggeringly long battery life by being not much larger. 

Mar 21, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #4,099 of 9,040
  It is a fact that all AK DAPs have terrible battery life, maybe 4-5 hours max playing redbook, DSD consumes much more. There is simply no space inside for a bigger battery, and I doubt power management is much of a focus for the AK operating system. Makes you think how does something like the Sony NW-ZX2 achieve such staggeringly long battery life by being not much larger. 

I found the Battery life of the original Ak100 and the AK100ii to be very good.
It all goes down hill quickly from there.

Mar 21, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #4,100 of 9,040
My opinion, and more so in Hong Kong and Asia, is that most people here carries a battery pack thus alleviating of possibility of a total drain on the battery...

Mar 21, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #4,101 of 9,040

I found the Battery life of the original Ak100 and the AK100ii to be very good.
It all goes down hill quickly from there.

I'm not sure what's going on with other AK380s here but mine definitely lasts more than that playing 16/44 FLACs - 5 hours means 20% per hour and I'm sure mine doesn't go down that fast. Maybe I will test run it from 100% to 0% sometime and see exactly how long.

For the AK ripper, if only it rips SACD (yeah I'm dreaming) I will buy it in a blink, otherwise I don't see the point at all. I'm picky with tagging, especially in non-English languages such as Japanese, so if I use AK ripper to rip a song I will still need to transfer it back to PC to edit the tag, defeating the purpose for me.

Mar 22, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #4,103 of 9,040
mmm......battery pack is also a necessity here. I've used an external battery pack to power my cu a number of times. I play mostly flac so battery life is not a problem for me. I get more than  6  hours of solid playback, with wifi and display turned off. I'll conduct a battery life test/burn-in for my ciem today to see how long it will take from 100 to 0.

Mar 22, 2016 at 1:14 AM Post #4,104 of 9,040
  mmm......battery pack is also a necessity here. I've used an external battery pack to power my cu a number of times. I play mostly flac so battery life is not a problem for me. I get more than  6  hours of solid playback, with wifi and display turned off. I'll conduct a battery life test/burn-in for my ciem today to see how long it will take from 100 to 0.

Raypin, that was exactly my test, Flac with wifi and display turned off.  Mine didn't quite make 5 hours.  Will definitely be interested in hearing if you got 6 hours or more.

Mar 22, 2016 at 1:22 AM Post #4,105 of 9,040

Raypin, that was exactly my test, Flac with wifi and display turned off.  Mine didn't quite make 5 hours.  Will definitely be interested in hearing if you got 6 hours or more.

Do you make a concerted effort to manage your battery? As less than 5 hours on Redbook seems like battery has taken a beating for a relatively new device, as on just Redbook I am getting nearly 8 Hours play. I will confirm this, Thursday, on my return flight. 

Frequent charging, between use. Not letting it go below 10-15% and a full discharge once a month. And most importantly not play and charge at the same time?

The above tips were given to me by a good friend who owns a battery manufacturing plant in China. I have adhered to the above formula for years now and most of my devices' batteries have performed in tip top condition.

Mar 22, 2016 at 1:41 AM Post #4,106 of 9,040

After about 3 hours listening to Sade's discography on Redbook....................with BA in-ears 
ksc75smile.gif

Mar 22, 2016 at 2:51 AM Post #4,107 of 9,040

Do you make a concerted effort to manage your battery? As less than 5 hours on Redbook seems like battery has taken a beating for a relatively new device, as on just Redbook I am getting nearly 8 Hours play. I will confirm this, Thursday, on my return flight. 

Frequent charging, between use. Not letting it go below 10-15% and a full discharge once a month. And most importantly not play and charge at the same time?

The above tips were given to me by a good friend who owns a battery manufacturing plant in China. I have adhered to the above formula for years now and most of my devices' batteries have performed in tip top condition.

I make an effort, but not always successfully. 
rolleyes.gif

I try not to let it go below 15%, but often while listening I forget to check the remaining level and by the time I find it, it's less than that.  I never charge and play at the same time, and yes, i fully discharge once a month.

Thanks for the advice.  I'll try being more diligent when it comes to letting it get below 15%.

Mar 22, 2016 at 2:52 AM Post #4,108 of 9,040

After about 3 hours listening to Sade's discography on Redbook....................with BA in-ears 
ksc75smile.gif

Okay, you cannot possibly have the same battery as the non-CU model.  After 3 hours mine was below 50%.

Mar 22, 2016 at 4:31 AM Post #4,109 of 9,040

mmm......ak 380 cu battery life test: with flacs ( 2,181 tracks, randomized), wifi off, display off (except for a couple of times to check on battery life), uninterrupted playback (with volume set at 78/150) and with my Zeus ciem, it is looking good. After 4 hours, 9 minutes, battery state shows 52%. I started the test at exactly 12:21 pm.

Mar 22, 2016 at 4:35 AM Post #4,110 of 9,040
  mmm......ak 380 cu battery life test: with flacs ( 2,181 tracks, randomized), wifi off, display off (except for a couple of times to check on battery life), uninterrupted playback (with volume set at 78/150) and with my Zeus ciem, it is looking good. After 3 hours, 9 minutes, battery state shows 52%.

I guess that means I have a personal problem. 

Sounds like your results are much like spkrs01.  I'm going to try to practice better battery maintenance as spkrs01 suggested and see if it gets any better.

Thanks guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back