Astell & Kern AK10 portable DAC and amp
Nov 6, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #91 of 359
When the AK10 is used in combination with an iPhone 5 and a headphone with iphone remote control, does the remote control still work or do i have to use the controls on the AK10 then?

What kind of sound quality boost can i expect with headphones like Sennheiser Momentum or B&W P7 ?

Iam relatively new to headphones and am very interested on using it on the go while commuting. When i listen with my Sennheiser Momentum from my Macbook Air i imagine to hear a slightly better sound quality than from the iPhone, so iam wondering what kind of music quality i can expect from such a DAC/AMP and if it worth the money + the additional weight being carried around.  ( I have never listened to a hifi dac/amp in my life)

Nov 6, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #92 of 359
I wouldn't say that the AK10 is the cheapest DAC/AMP.  I believe I have seen some that are significantly cheaper than this.  But I would say that its the cheapest that uses high end solutions and has a nicely designed housing.

GoSUV, A&K CAN charge whatever they want for it, but I believe what it boils down to in this case is perception of value.  I feel that the AK10 is not quite worth what they are asking.

While it does sound great, its far from spectacular.  I have tried to use the case to attach to my belt, but my belt is too thick and or wide to be used that way.

I guess its just me that feels this way, and to me its a shame, because I really hoped that this would be better than it is.  

I really like the Astell & Kern brand and really like the AK120, I was just hoping not to have to leave the iTunes ecosystem.

Nov 6, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #93 of 359
There isn't a cheaper portable DAC/amp if you want to use with an iPhone on the go (and I presume Androids too). There are tons of cheaper portable DAC/amps for laptop use.

Nov 6, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #99 of 359
From the brief time I spent with both at RMAF, about the same.  But different music, and different players, etc could be more than that.  Did make my touch 5th gen sound better/ different.

Nov 6, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #100 of 359
Surely it can't be long before FIIO do a Lightning DAC
If others are now starting to do so?

Nov 6, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #101 of 359
  In my opinion, EVERYTHING in HiFi industry is overpriced.  That's because companies know they can get us to pay for it.

I work in manufacturing, specifically accessories for consumer electronics and can make a few educated guesses on the actual costs of these devices.

The AK10 BOM cost shouldn't cost more than 20 USD to manufacture and should have a ex-factory price of 22-25 USD. 

Standard industry pricing is to set MSRP 4 times higher than ex-factory pricing meaning a reasonable price for this unit would be ~100 USD (This would include retailers margin as well).  If we were to double that, and give iRiver a HUGE profit, I would still call that reasonable because as someone mentioned before, options for good small DAC/AMP are limited.

At a MSRP of over 300 USD, iRiver's margin's are well over 150 USD per unit.  I call this overpriced and unreasonable.  Especially for something that is not "perfect".

Also, you cannot compare this unit to the AK100.

The AK100 is a DAP and is FAR more complicated to manufacture as well as develop.  The development of the S/W and F/W is considerably more time consuming as is the after sales support; i.e. Firmware updates.

Furthermore, taking away a screen and storage should reduce the price by MORE than 50%.  These two "simple" things take up more than 70% of the BOM cost and development of S/W and F/W hasn't even been amortized into it.

AK10 is not 50% of a AK100; its more like 30%.

While yes, I know the Fostex and Cypher Labs products all cost quite a bit more than the AK10, I believe that these warrant the price, as to me, these sound much better!

Anyways, this is just my opinion and I'm sure it will not win me many friends here.

How much do IRiver pay for the licensing to make a lightning compatible product? I would imagine A LOT!

From my old days in HIFI retail 10x the material cost = retail cost, was the understood rate, 
and that only allowed for a 30-40% margin at retail.
So factor in the Cost of Sale Labour and Overheads and you can guess what the manufacturers make.
HIFI Shops have a lower margin that almost every other high street industry, it's amazing that any of them survive.

Now we mainly buy from Web Sites, HIFI should be cheaper than ever!

Nov 6, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #103 of 359
I'm not sure you can connect an iPhone 5 direct to the microstreamer.

Edit:  Semantics I guess, two small cables.  One to do the Apple magic and one short usb.  

Here are a few head-fi folks doing it directly with the Apple lightning to cck/ usb connector.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/682222/ios7-iphone-and-apple-cck/180

I'll be reviewing the HRT microstreamer at my blog below in the next few weeks.  I will be using an ipod touch 5th gen.

Nov 6, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #104 of 359
Here are a few head-fi folks doing it directly with the Apple lightning to cck/ usb connector.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/682222/ios7-iphone-and-apple-cck/180

I'll be reviewing the HRT microstreamer at my blog below in the next few weeks.  I will be using an ipod touch 5th gen.

Thanks for the link but I am aware of the CCK route. The issue is whether there is any cheaper DAC/amp that can connect directly to the iPhone 5. But thanks anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back