Astell & Kern AK10 portable DAC and amp
Oct 12, 2013 at 2:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 359

georgelai57

Headphoneus Supremus
Here's a new product from Astell & Kern - the AK10 portable DAC (for iPhone, Android, Mac and PC) and Amp! See astellnkern.com

Oct 12, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #4 of 359
Official price in Singapore is US$320 but pre order price is US$288

Oct 12, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #7 of 359
Looking at the pictures, it does seem to have a mini-usb in. Also, Samsung devices and pc/mac are supported. So I'd think  iPhone 4(/s) support would be possible — if iriver would have it so.

Oct 13, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #8 of 359

Pretty handsome, but I wouldn't take it at that price, most likely. As much as I like the size and the form factor, and the fact that the idiots there seem to have figured out output impedance at long last, but still. I would be shocked if it out-performs the Fiio E17. For the smaller size I Would pay a slight premium over the Fiio, but not a $200 premium. But the A&K brand seems to be the "we're going to WAY overcharge for this thing" brand at iRiver. 

EDIT: LOL, after saying that, I cruised over to the A&K section of the iriver shop. Wow, check out ASTELL&KERN MQS ALBUM VOL. 1. Twelve songs for $49. To be fair, it also comes with a 4GB micro SD card. So you get around $15 worth of stuff for that $50.

Oct 13, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #9 of 359

Pretty handsome, but I wouldn't take it at that price, most likely. As much as I like the size and the form factor, and the fact that the idiots there seem to have figured out output impedance at long last, but still. I would be shocked if it out-performs the Fiio E17. For the smaller size I Would pay a slight premium over the Fiio, but not a $200 premium. But the A&K brand seems to be the "we're going to WAY overcharge for this thing" brand at iRiver. 

EDIT: LOL, after saying that, I cruised over to the A&K section of the iriver shop. Wow, check out ASTELL&KERN MQS ALBUM VOL. 1. Twelve songs for $49. To be fair, it also comes with a 4GB micro SD card. So you get around $15 worth of stuff for that $50.

The AK100/AK120 sound amazing. I wouldn't call it overpriced at all. I am excited for this amp/DAC, personally.

Oct 13, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #10 of 359
The AK100/AK120 sound amazing. I wouldn't call it overpriced at all. I am excited for this amp/DAC, personally.

Indeed. The e17 can't function as a DAC when connected to the lightning jack on an iPhone 5 so the AK10 is actually pitched against a different category of product. Way way cheaper than a HP-P1, PHA-1 etc

Oct 13, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #12 of 359
You can use it with the computer.
Indeed. The e17 can't function as a DAC when connected to the lightning jack on an iPhone 5 so the AK10 is actually pitched against a different category of product. Way way cheaper than a HP-P1, PHA-1 etc

That is a very good point. Perhaps the Android (and hopefully PC functionality) are just perks. 

Oct 13, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #13 of 359
You can use it with the computer.

Although it can be used for Macs and PCs, I feel that buying it for that purpose solely would not be justified as there are tons of alternatives available. The primary objective is as a iPhone and Android portable DAC/amp.

And for those who don't want to pay the high prices of their AK100 and AK120 DAPs, here is one alternative using your iPhone as the digital transport.

Oct 13, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #14 of 359
And here I was thinking of purchasing a AK100/AK120... and this came out.

Looks just like what the doctor ordered. I have contents on iTunes that I wouldn't be able to sync with the AK100/120 easily... but if I could use my iPhone or MacBook with an amp/DAC like this, it's just perfect.

At about the same size as an ODAC, it's pretty damn impressive! Specs say 110dB SNR and -106dB crosstalk... (iPhone's crosstalk is -75dB)

Wolfson DAC is just icing on the cake.

Totally going to be on the lookout for this!

Oct 14, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #15 of 359
Although it can be used for Macs and PCs, I feel that buying it for that purpose solely would not be justified as there are tons of alternatives available. The primary objective is as a iPhone and Android portable DAC/amp.

And for those who don't want to pay the high prices of their AK100 and AK120 DAPs, here is one alternative using your iPhone as the digital transport.

About as thick, but otherwise it appears to actually be quite a bit smaller. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back