Astell & Kern AK10 portable DAC and amp
Oct 30, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #61 of 359
I'd hate something with too many cables and accessories that I might not use. Quality will be lower and you're paying for something you don't need.

An extra cable in the package would be rather inexpensive compared with the AK10 price I presume. After all this is marketed as a premium device... Anyways, if only original AK (soon to be available?) cables work this could end up increasing the price for a "usable" setup a lot depending on cable and shipping price, which can be a lot depending on where you live. In any case it's a bit annoying to have to buy accessories right from the start; that is, if a 15cm cable is not your ideal cable length. I presume their marketing dep. thought "short cable for iPhone, long cable for PC use" or something...

I should probably add that the device otherwise looks absolutely cool!
gs1000.gif

Nov 2, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #62 of 359
Here are my prediction of the future revision:

1-AK20: Dual DAC wolfson variety
2-AK60: DSD enabled
3-AK160: Dual DAC sabre native DSD (if the rumors about the Ak200 is true.)

Nov 2, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #63 of 359
Here are my prediction of the future revision:

1-AK20: Dual DAC wolfson variety
2-AK60: DSD enabled
3-AK160: Dual DAC sabre native DSD (if the rumors about the Ak200 is true.)

Haha possible portable tube DAC amp for iDevices in the future ^_^

http://www.venturecraft.jp/gadget_en/gtt/index.php

Nov 4, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #64 of 359
AK10 arrived, I cannot believe how tiny it is. Bad news it does not support nano 7g (I wish it did, that would be the ultra-portable device of all time).

Soundwise, better than Ak100, as good as ODAC, powerful! 

I am going to pair it with nexus 7 later, I hope it pairs with it. 

Nov 4, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #66 of 359
Ak10 sounds better than AK120!?

typo I meant AK100 but with certain gears it is as good as ak120. Only with super sensitive and detail oriented IEM like the ck100pro you can sense a better separation from AK120 and less aggressive tonality but honestly that could be all in my head as I am listening to hear a difference between the ak10 and ak120.

It is a shame ipod nano 7G does not work with AK10, I have a feeling that the restriction is placed by iriver themselves. Honestly that combo can offer serious fidelity on the go. I mean add in something like the pico slim (not that you need it) it will provide the ultra portable fidelity on the go with the amazing UI if apple.

Ak10 does not charge your device. 

The bad, they are using some weird USB connection that I have not seen. Also using the onkyo app despite the 24/96 ability of the AK10 we cannot output anything more than 24/48. 

There has to be a reason why ipod nano 7G is not working, I do not buy the battery argument, that should not be a restriction, it should be an option that user should be left to decide for themselves. Even if it reduces the battery life of nano to 3-4 hours that is plenty for the size of this combo. 
I have PM Jmoon from iriver, hopefully he can give us some answer. I also have left a massage on their US page. 

Nov 4, 2013 at 4:32 AM Post #68 of 359
I just hope iriver focuses on this section of their product line more. There is no doubt that apple is best in UI and companies who cannot make anything better respect it and embrace it. Listening out of AK10 via FAD VI the sound is incredibly engaging. AK120 sounds a bit more laid back and wider on sound stage but than again it cost 4 times more than AK10. 

Iriver please enable ipod nano 7G usage with your iDac I promise it will make your AK10 become a sale out. The staking with ipod touch 5G becomes a little odd considering how the include cable is not right angel but when I stack it with ipod nano they are like made for one another.

I will take some picture of it in upcoming days but sound-wise it has power and good enough quality that will make a lot happy for it current selling price. That is something very positive considering how I could not stand AK100 right from moment I got it. I do appreciate Ak120 but it is not something I like to take out to work with me.

We live in an era where idevices have dominate control over the market, devices like AK10 will enable good sound for the masses without having price tag that only certain small portion of the society can enjoy. As an entry product and their first official iDac they have got many things right on this. Sure there are a number of things I like the future revision to include like battery meter, use of micro-USB connection, usage of AAA size rechargeable batteries which are user replaceable, but as a first time product it is not bad at all. 

Nov 4, 2013 at 4:33 AM Post #69 of 359
  typo I meant AK100 but with certain gears it is as good as ak120. Only with super sensitive and detail oriented IEM like the ck100pro you can sense a better separation from AK120 and less aggressive tonality but honestly that could be all in my head as I am listening to hear a difference between the ak10 and ak120.

It is a shame ipod nano 7G does not work with AK10, I have a feeling that the restriction is placed by iriver themselves. Honestly that combo can offer serious fidelity on the go. I mean add in something like the pico slim (not that you need it) it will provide the ultra portable fidelity on the go with the amazing UI if apple.

Ak10 does not charge your device. 

The bad, they are using some weird USB connection that I have not seen. Also using the onkyo app despite the 24/96 ability of the AK10 we cannot output anything more than 24/48. 

There has to be a reason why ipod nano 7G is not working, I do not buy the battery argument, that should not be a restriction, it should be an option that user should be left to decide for themselves. Even if it reduces the battery life of nano to 3-4 hours that is plenty for the size of this combo. 
I have PM Jmoon from iriver, hopefully he can give us some answer. I also have left a massage on their US page. 

Indeed we need an answer on why can't AK10 work with iPod Nano 7G! 

Does it work with the old 30-pin? The iClassic! 

Nov 4, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #70 of 359
  Indeed we need an answer on why can't AK10 work with iPod Nano 7G! 

Does it work with the old 30-pin? The iClassic! 

I cannot test it, I do not have the cable for it. It uses some strange connector on the ak10 end which I think is unique for AK10. I wish they just made the AK10 a bit longer and instead used a regular USB type A.

I think they have used mini A. 

Nov 4, 2013 at 5:39 AM Post #72 of 359
no problem. I think the reason why we cannot use ipod nano with AK10 is because the UI on the ipod nano is not identical to ipod touch. AK10 actually uses the OS of ipod touch to navigate to different song and increase/decrease volume. 

I would rather have those features removed and instead just get hardware volume control than software based volume control and rather use the idevices screen to change track than the hard button provided on the side of AK10 in order to be able to use ipod nano with the AK10. I am sure it can be fixed with a firmware update, I am almost certain of it and I know (and i hope) if there is enough interest they will implement it just like how the AK120 UI was implemented on Ak100. 

Nov 4, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #74 of 359
1.1 according to the published spec on their website, dont think they r gonna keep the ak100 genius design

Nov 4, 2013 at 7:06 AM Post #75 of 359
1.1  is rather good. I'm not a believer that the damping factor have to be 10 times for a headphone to sound good, but with these armature in-ears with wildly swinging impedance characteristics you will get a screwed up tonal balance, sometimes for the better, most times for the worse, with that high output z.
Good to see this company making a little effort this time.
How they could release a product made for portable headphone with that big a flaw and that high a price is outrageous. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back