Astell&Kern AK UW100 TWS Earbuds
Apr 23, 2022 at 7:20 PM Post #31 of 59
Apr 24, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #35 of 59
Additional in-ear TW headphones in the collection are useful to every adiophile.
Apart from all the extras like ANC, the microphone and focusing only on the sound and only on the music.
I tested many in-ear wireless headphones, all of them sounded very well, but I stayed with No. 1 permanently:
1.Sennheiser TWS Momentum 2

These also sound great - this is just my list, you probably have a different opinion on this subject
2.BEOPLAY EQ
2.SONY WF-1000XM4
3.Apple Airpods Pro
4.Bowers & Wilkins PI7

The quastion ASTELL & KERN AK UW100 are touted as first audiophile in-ear headphones.
Do you think the new ASTELL & KERN AK UW100 headphones are a revolution in in-ear headphones or just another model on the list?

Apr 25, 2022 at 2:40 AM Post #39 of 59
Anyone can compare these to AKG N400?

I haven't really tested on the UW100's functionality, but on sound alone the N400 is miles ahead when playing AAC out of my iphone. Really weird balance on the UW100 with surprisingly bloated mid bass considering its a single BA design, thin male vocal region and a bump in the hi-mids slightly off the presence range which is neither here nor there.

In comparison the N400 is way more nicely and realistically balanced, no matter if its Harman neutral response is your definition of neutrality or not.

Apr 25, 2022 at 4:51 AM Post #40 of 59
I haven't really tested on the UW100's functionality, but on sound alone the N400 is miles ahead when playing AAC out of my iphone. Really weird balance on the UW100 with surprisingly bloated mid bass considering its a single BA design, thin male vocal region and a bump in the hi-mids slightly off the presence range which is neither here nor there.

In comparison the N400 is way more nicely and realistically balanced, no matter if its Harman neutral response is your definition of neutrality or not.

Thanks! Sound comparison is totally sufficient.

Considering that the AKG N400 is a fraction of the price of UW100 I don’t have to consider the latter.

Apr 27, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #41 of 59
just got mine last weekend. the sound is great for TWS. i've got samsung buds pro, xm4, PI7, B&O EQ, fw1000t, fokus pro, ze3000 before acquiring uw100. the connection range and stability of uw100 is the best amongst all these. battery range is great too and seems on par with XM4/EQ/fokus pro. it easily lasts over 4 hrs with aptx connection (PI7 is by far the worst which can only last for a bit over 2 hrs. fw1000t barely manages 4hrs).

the apps is not very useful but that's pretty true for most TWS too. be warned the carrying case is gigantic! it's the biggest by length, depth or height of my TWS collection so it's not very portable. i've attached two photos to show AK left so much space in the case while most recent TWS cases are fully occupied by the earbuds. the good side is both the ear buds and case are light weight.

the ear buds fit securely for me and sealed pretty well (not so for the PI7 and FW1000t). for sound quality, my own preference is PI7>UW100>EQ/FW1000t>fokus pro>ZE3000. with xm4 and buds pro on roughly the same level (of coz they've their own merit and shortcomings) and a notch behind the others. uw100's single BA driver is surprisingly good and coherent across the whole range. there seems more mid-bass than EQ and FW1000t but doesnt deliver bass as convincing as normal dynamic driver (e.g. the 11mm wooden cone driver of fw1000t). the BA driver on the other hand seems render details on the top end more prominently.

yet taking into account of usability, fit, portability, battery life, etc., i would easily pick EQ (if ANC is needed) or ZE3000 as the most versatile TWS. UW100 actually competes very well in all aspects if not for the gigantic case. i really cant see why the case needs to be made so big! and the lack of IP rating (same for fokus pro) made me a bit nervous to use it in a rainy day.

btw, for anyone who obsesses about country of origin, this is made in korea (the very reason i bought it too)!

Attachments

• 20220424_155723.jpg
    20220424_155723.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220424_155646.jpg
    20220424_155646.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 28, 2022 at 10:57 PM Post #42 of 59
just got mine last weekend. the sound is great for TWS. i've got samsung buds pro, xm4, PI7, B&O EQ, fw1000t, fokus pro, ze3000 before acquiring uw100. the connection range and stability of uw100 is the best amongst all these. battery range is great too and seems on par with XM4/EQ/fokus pro. it easily lasts over 4 hrs with aptx connection (PI7 is by far the worst which can only last for a bit over 2 hrs. fw1000t barely manages 4hrs).

the apps is not very useful but that's pretty true for most TWS too. be warned the carrying case is gigantic! it's the biggest by length, depth or height of my TWS collection so it's not very portable. i've attached two photos to show AK left so much space in the case while most recent TWS cases are fully occupied by the earbuds. the good side is both the ear buds and case are light weight.

the ear buds fit securely for me and sealed pretty well (not so for the PI7 and FW1000t). for sound quality, my own preference is PI7>UW100>EQ/FW1000t>fokus pro>ZE3000. with xm4 and buds pro on roughly the same level (of coz they've their own merit and shortcomings) and a notch behind the others. uw100's single BA driver is surprisingly good and coherent across the whole range. there seems more mid-bass than EQ and FW1000t but doesnt deliver bass as convincing as normal dynamic driver (e.g. the 11mm wooden cone driver of fw1000t). the BA driver on the other hand seems render details on the top end more prominently.

yet taking into account of usability, fit, portability, battery life, etc., i would easily pick EQ (if ANC is needed) or ZE3000 as the most versatile TWS. UW100 actually competes very well in all aspects if not for the gigantic case. i really cant see why the case needs to be made so big! and the lack of IP rating (same for fokus pro) made me a bit nervous to use it in a rainy day.

btw, for anyone who obsesses about country of origin, this is made in korea (the very reason i bought it too)!
I don't get that ranking at all. I purchased and returned everything on that list, keeping only the xm4 and the fokus pro, which are both excellent. P17 and eq were less detailed than xm4 and sounded less full. Even the fokus sounds less full, as in filling your head space with sound. Xm4 are also super comfortable. Sony seems to be the only company making tws for people with human ears. What is up wirh all those short stem angled tws wirh big discs on the end? Not for human ears.

Apr 29, 2022 at 9:33 AM Post #43 of 59
I don't get that ranking at all. I purchased and returned everything on that list, keeping only the xm4 and the fokus pro, which are both excellent. P17 and eq were less detailed than xm4 and sounded less full. Even the fokus sounds less full, as in filling your head space with sound. Xm4 are also super comfortable. Sony seems to be the only company making tws for people with human ears. What is up wirh all those short stem angled tws wirh big discs on the end? Not for human ears.
i think there's a quite wide spectrum of preference in terms of sound profile for different people, after reading many passionate and sometimes divergent views on forums :relaxed: in fact, i'm not a critical listener and sometimes find my own preference not always consistent and could change on a given day.

I guess i prefer more treble in general. xm4 has relatively attenuated treble. functional wise, i think that it's top notch. battery life is the best amongst my TWS too. xm4 also excels on reliability, my pi7 was dead and got replaced by the local agent in just 3 months. i'm not saying xm4 is a underperforming TWS, just i like the other TWS's sound signature more.

btw, i dont use eq on these TWS.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2022 at 9:38 AM Post #44 of 59
i think there's a quite wide spectrum of preference in terms of sound profile for different people, after reading many passionate and sometimes divergent views on forums :relaxed: in fact, i'm not a critical listener and sometimes find my own preference not always consistence and could change on a given day.

I guess i prefer more treble in general. xm4 has relatively attenuated treble. functional wise, i think that it's top notch. battery life is the best amongst my TWS too. xm4 also excels on reliability, my pi7 was dead and got replaced by the local agent in just 3 months. just i like the other TWS's sound signature more.

btw, i dont use eq on these TWS.
Ah, I see. I agree on treble. Thats their weak spot and where the Fokus shines by comparison. Pi7 was also very treble oriented vs bass. I eq all and try a bunch of tips. I always come back to the azla sedna though. Sooo good. Xm4 for the gym. Fokus for home, though I don't really need them. With a desktop set up, bt Over ear, I have no reason to have 2 tws. Lol

Apr 29, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #45 of 59
With a desktop set up, bt Over ear, I have no reason to have 2 tws. Lol
never say never! i've told myself i got way too many iems/tws/headphones for over 2 years. yet i kept buying since covid19 :grinning:

happy listening and enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back