Astell&Kern AK T8iE MkⅡ(Impressions and discussions thread)
Apr 12, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #211 of 256
I went with the Moon Audio and love it. In terms of wearing out "fast", I think I agree, though I don't know if other stock cables are the same. The Moon Audio is very well made. You give up a bit in size/weight but gain in strength. Since I use mine every day, it is best for me. (my wife, too).

Hi Peter, how've you been? I'm looking out for a replacement cable as well since my MK II cable is starting to show signs of wear and tear around the edge where it meets the MMCX connector. You mentioned Moon Audio, can you please share which cable you are using, as there seem to be multiple ones. I assume you have chosen the best cable for the T8 MKii :p

Others, can you please share if you are using replacement cables too?

I contacted Beyerdynamic on this issue but they shrugged it off and asked me to contact Astell & Kern. I was always under the impression it was a Beyer product, but it now seems clear that I've got an AK product, which is awesome!

Thanks and happy listening! T8 been going 2 years and still strong. No headfi itch :p

Apr 12, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #212 of 256
Hi Peter, how've you been? I'm looking out for a replacement cable as well since my MK II cable is starting to show signs of wear and tear around the edge where it meets the MMCX connector. You mentioned Moon Audio, can you please share which cable you are using, as there seem to be multiple ones. I assume you have chosen the best cable for the T8 MKii :p
To me, Moon Audio cable are terrible value for money. :frowning2:

I got very nice results using iBasso CB12 (for 2.5mm balanced use, 89$) and Ourart copper-SPC hybrid cable (3.5mm SE, bought through Penonaudio for a mere 65$).
Honestly, I find all these 8-cores hybrid cables excellent, the 4 copper cores bring full bass and the 4 SPC cores ensure smooth but well extended treble. You get the best of both worlds.
CB12 is absolutely gorgeous, it is fully pliable and tangle-free despite the 8 thick cores.
The Ourart is a bit thicker and less pliable (similar to iBasso CB13 but with 3.5mm), but equally gorgeous with a strong angled plug and full-metal mmcx connectors.

1-700x700.JPG

Apr 13, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #213 of 256
To me, Moon Audio cable are terrible value for money. :frowning2:

I got very nice results using iBasso CB12 (for 2.5mm balanced use, 89$) and Ourart copper-SPC hybrid cable (3.5mm SE, bought through Penonaudio for a mere 65$).
Honestly, I find all these 8-cores hybrid cables excellent, the 4 copper cores bring full bass and the 4 SPC cores ensure smooth but well extended treble. You get the best of both worlds.
CB12 is absolutely gorgeous, it is fully pliable and tangle-free despite the 8 thick cores.
The Ourart is a bit thicker and less pliable (similar to iBasso CB13 but with 3.5mm), but equally gorgeous with a strong angled plug and full-metal mmcx connectors.

Hi tienbasse,

Thanks for the advice :) Sure! I'm only planning to use single ended cable, as I'm pairing with a phone or Mojo. I know phones don't deliver the best quality but to me they're more than excellent with the T8, given the T8 is so easy to drive properly. There is a step up when going to the Mojo definitely but it's not convenient to bring it travelling especially when carrying a camera as well. :D

So, given that I'm using SE, you would recommend Ourart copper-SPC?

https://penonaudio.com/ourart-copper-mixed-silver-plated-mmcx-cable.html

Any other suggestions? I already love the current T8 sounding so I prefer if the replacement cable is at least as good, otherwise I'd revert to get a new one from AK.

Thanks!

Apr 13, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #214 of 256
People can always disagree about cables, but my line of thought is that thicker strands with more cores allow you to extract as much as "life" as you can from IEMs.
Don't think for a minute the sound will become completely different from the most basic cable, it will just have a little extra punch in the bass and more articulate treble, but the signature will remain similar and the sound will remain smooth as it is with this IEMs.

Then the question is only about quality versus usability/price, because 8 cores with thick strands will be less pliable and heavier, which will be less practical for walking or running than a thin cable.
The Ourart cable is still pliable with no ear hooks to bother you, and it is very well built for the price.

Now if you want to stay very close to the original MK2 cable, any 4-core SPC cable should do the trick nicely, for 30-40$. FiiO has some nice ones, but these are litterally the most common cable type around, so you cna pick up any brand.
Up to you in the end. :wink:

Apr 14, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #215 of 256
The moon cable has been excellent. It’s much stronger than stock. I use it daily so it gets quite a workout. Silver Dragon and I went with the longer one for convenience. The reviews from owners appear consistent.

The AK Mk ii silver one I purchased for my wife $100—it folds up much nicer and has already cracked. The Moon is more durable.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #216 of 256
Quick sit-rep for me, I'm still truly mesmerized by these little gems - probably being a bit stupid, but - running them balanced out of the Fiio Q5 on high gain (!!) - they have so much to give, never have I had any earphone / IEM be able to give me such constant enjoyment - really need to tip my hat to Beyerdynamic / AK.

Apr 18, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #217 of 256
Duncan, I just switched back to the Comply tips to drown out external noise. I still don't know what I prefer! I have tried stock, Comply and Spin fit. I enjoy them all but can't choose which is best. Comply seems great for being in hockey arenas. The T8's are terrific.

Apr 19, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #218 of 256
Has anyone successfully contacted Astell & Kern? If so, could you please provide a contact? I've tried e-mailing AK at support.inc@iriver.com but no response after a week.

I just wanted to get a quote for the AK T8ie MK ii cable.

Thanks

Apr 19, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #219 of 256
Has anyone successfully contacted Astell & Kern? If so, could you please provide a contact? I've tried e-mailing AK at support.inc@iriver.com but no response after a week.

Thanks

Let us know how that goes, I'd like one too and haven't seen them available anywhere...

Apr 20, 2018 at 1:09 AM Post #220 of 256

Thanks

You can try iriver official store through Ali express website.... I got very good result... they usually reply with-in 24 hrs also very helpful.

Apr 20, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #221 of 256
Let us know how that goes, I'd like one too and haven't seen them available anywhere...
For all it's worth, the stock cable has such poor durability that I see no reason to look for the same one when the choice of mmcx cables out there is so huge. :wink:
Especially for the insane pricetag that was communicated some time ago (80-90$) for which you can access much more robust cables.

May 8, 2018 at 2:41 AM Post #223 of 256
currently looking at a cable replacement as well. Something that extend the sound stage would be nice.

Currently looking at effect audio aresII+ or maybe even jump up to the thor2

There's also plussound cables that has peaked my interest.

It seems its not as simple as choosing the type of material and expect that effect as each brand do different things with the same/similar materials to get different effects.

Any insight on which cables anyone has tried that increasing staging and clarity please chime in :)

Last edited:
May 8, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #224 of 256
currently looking at a cable replacement as well. Something that extend the sound stage would be nice.

It seems its not as simple as choosing the type of material and expect that effect as each brand do different things with the same/similar materials to get different effects.

Any insight on which cables anyone has tried that increasing staging and clarity please chime in :)

I don't know if Moon is still making the silver cable to fit these, but this and the AK T8ie 2nd gen thread and Xelento thread all have a number of after market cable posts. You will get a lot of opinions. My wife and I have loved the Moon Audio Silver dragons but there may be more specific sound stage references and alternative prices.

I am trying the Comply tips right now and go back and forth. #200

May 8, 2018 at 11:07 PM Post #225 of 256

I'm using the ALO Litz with a 4.4mm connector. Works quite well with the AKT8ie mkii. Another option to consider is Onso Project available via Amazon.co.jp. Build standard is exceptional (also available with a 4.4mm connector). I should point out I'm cable agnostic and believe that LCR has much more to do with cable sound than cable material. That being said aesthetics are a perfectly good reason to change cables if they meet the corresponding LCR requirements.

regards,

Giles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back