Astell&Kern AK T1p Impressions Thread
Jul 25, 2020 at 1:53 AM Post #46 of 58
Listening at my home workstation: Galaxy S6 Tab (Roon) > AK SP1000 > WA11 > T1p.

With a little bit of Roon EQ, these 'cans are really STELLAR. Makes me wonder why I spent so much on my bedroom setup: Abyss Diana Phi > XI Broadway > Sagra DAC > Ambre (Roon).

The T1p gives up the impressive details and intense bass slam of the Diana Phi but holds it's own with a well-balanced and pleasing sound. Plus the T1p is incredibly comfortable to wear.

Jan 23, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #48 of 58
I’ll be joining the club shortly, just found a pair for $350 - hopefully they live up to the Amiron/DT1990 legacy
Great deal! Enjoy!

Oct 16, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #49 of 58
I just got a pair of these recently. I haven't gotten to use them much due to life being busy but anxious to. I have a small army of cans to try them against. They're mostly midfi with a few upper-midfi (is that a thing?) pairs.

Closest in spec and design to me is my first good open backs, Dt880 32 ohm. Obviously it's the old non Tesla Beyer driver but it is the rarer 32 ohm version. These have a special place for me, don't think I'll ever let them go.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #50 of 58
I just got a pair of these recently. I haven't gotten to use them much due to life being busy but anxious to. I have a small army of cans to try them against. They're mostly midfi with a few upper-midfi (is that a thing?) pairs.

Closest in spec and design to me is my first good open backs, Dt880 32 ohm. Obviously it's the old non Tesla Beyer driver but it is the rarer 32 ohm version. These have a special place for me, don't think I'll ever let them go.
I use the AK T1p's for my 'at work' cans and they still hold their own to my Flagship cans. Bass is tight and overall sound is pleasing. Keeper, for sure.

Nov 24, 2021 at 7:25 AM Post #51 of 58
I'm so sad this fabulous headphone had such a short and limited run and not much exposure on Head Fi. They are god-tier for the price. Omg listening to the AK T1P with the Kann Alpha tonight and not missing any of my flagships or desktop system. Shout out to all my AK T1P owning brothers and sisters. We know how awesome these are! :L3000: perfect balance, expansive soundstage, layering, imaging, details galore, you name it with punchy dynamics hitting you... WOW

Last edited:
May 8, 2023 at 8:47 PM Post #52 of 58
I bought these amazing headphones during the massdrop ( drop ) sale that they had, it was 500 dollars.
I stored them in my collection after receiving them, of course I checked if they were working and everything is fine.
Well recently I grabbed them and hooked them to my desktop system.
Oh My God, these headphones are absolutely incredible, they absolutely hold their own against flagship headphones, like the utopia, zmf verite, and caldera.
The details the clarity the speed, also even though they're 32ohms I still think they need more clean power to get their full potential.
They're breathtaking to put it bluntly.

May 9, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #53 of 58
Wow, I just looked at my last reply, Oct 2021. Was about year and a half ago, and they are keepers IMHO.

Since then, my collection was expanded, changed. I acquired the HD800 and SDR modded it and also owned the HD700 for a few months before reselling it. The other brighter can I got was the early revision of the HE560 which was $900 way back when it was new.

Against the HD800, it does hold its own... not quite the giant soundstage of the HD800 but definately big.... the response is similiar actually with a treble peak and a muted bass. I wonder how the T1.2 600ohm bass is, it seems its not as good as these T1p according to reviews on here. I'm keeping the HD800 too, as they are definately special cans. Resolution wise, with both having the huge treble peaks, it seems similiar though I believe both peak in different places just like the T1.2 vs. HD800.

Against the HD700, I prefered these T1ps. Used, they are going from $250-$400 these days which is a helluva bargain IMHO. They are not nearly as bad as people say at this price. At the original MSRP? No way. Maybe if they were $400-$600 new, I think they would of competed. They do sound like a baby HD800 and are crazy comfy.

Last edited:
May 9, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #54 of 58
Wow, I just looked at my last reply, Oct 2021. Was about year and a half ago, and they are keepers IMHO.

Since then, my collection was expanded, changed. I acquired the HD800 and SDR modded it and also owned the HD700 for a few months before reselling it. The other brighter can I got was the early revision of the HE560 which was $900 way back when it was new.

Against the HD800, it does hold its own... not quite the giant soundstage of the HD800 but definately big.... the response is similiar actually with a treble peak and a muted bass. I wonder how the T1.2 600ohm bass is, it seems its not as good as these T1p according to reviews on here. I'm keeping the HD800 too, as they are definately special cans. Resolution wise, with both having the huge treble peaks, it seems similiar though I believe both peak in different places just like the T1.2 vs. HD800.

Against the HD700, I prefered these T1ps. Used, they are going from $250-$400 these days which is a helluva bargain IMHO. They are not nearly as bad as people say at this price. At the original MSRP? No way. Maybe if they were $400-$600 new, I think they would of competed. They do sound like a baby HD800 and are crazy comfy.
Very interesting I actually prefer the t1p over the hd800s.
It's as detailed, same imaging, a little smaller soundstage but more organic soundstage.
The t1p can scale very well just like the hd800s, but there's a benefit for the t1p over the hd800s, and that is it gets out of the way and let the music flow naturally.
The soundstage changes from track to track based on the recording, it can be vast and it can be intimate.
The resolution is top notch as well.
The hd800s is amazing but you just can't forget you're listening to an hd800s all the time whatever you're playing through it.
As for gaming I think both are absolutely equal.
The t1p might be a little better cause it's easier to drive, but on technicalities for gaming they're equal.
That's my opinion anyway, I'm glad that this thread is getting liviler.

Last edited:
May 9, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #55 of 58
The T1p's are one of most unappreciated hps around. They give my $4k Abyss Diana Phi's a run for the money with hi-res files and good amplification.

May 9, 2023 at 9:01 PM Post #56 of 58
The T1p's are one of most unappreciated hps around. They give my $4k Abyss Diana Phi's a run for the money with hi-res files and good amplification.
I don't have the abyss Diana phi.
But from observations I can say that the t1p is immensely detailed and does belong at the flagship level in my opinion.
I don't know why it was overlooked, considering the performance it can produce.
I believe that happened due to beyerdynamic having multiple versions of the same headphone causing confusion.
The t1.1, t1.2 , t1p, t1.3 ( recently I absolutely didn't like the 3rd generation model it's horrendous).
So maybe the t1p was obscured by the other beyerdynamic releases.
Also being sold by astell and kern might have had an affect popularity wise.
So I agree with what you said, I also agree that it requires good amplification, the 32 ohm impedance number is mildly deceptive, it actually requires some clean power to really shine.
From experience it seems to need as much power as my hd660s to reach it's full potential, not super high power, but also not 32ohms low.

Last edited:
May 10, 2023 at 7:01 AM Post #57 of 58
Very interesting I actually prefer the t1p over the hd800s.
It's as detailed, same imaging, a little smaller soundstage but more organic soundstage.
The t1p can scale very well just like the hd800s, but there's a benefit for the t1p over the hd800s, and that is it gets out of the way and let the music flow naturally.
The soundstage changes from track to track based on the recording, it can be vast and it can be intimate.
The resolution is top notch as well.
The hd800s is amazing but you just can't forget you're listening to an hd800s all the time whatever you're playing through it.
As for gaming I think both are absolutely equal.
The t1p might be a little better cause it's easier to drive, but on technicalities for gaming they're equal.
That's my opinion anyway, I'm glad that this thread is getting liviler.
I wouldn't say I prefer the HD800, I honestly would be happy with just the T1p. It's why I'm self described hoarder and change my daily drivers all the time.

I keep the HD800 for it's humongous soundstage and ability to act as a microscope into the sound. For more organic, neutral enjoyment, I reach more more neutral cans than either of these i.e. less treble, more bass.

May 10, 2023 at 7:39 PM Post #58 of 58
I wouldn't say I prefer the HD800, I honestly would be happy with just the T1p. It's why I'm self described hoarder and change my daily drivers all the time.

I keep the HD800 for it's humongous soundstage and ability to act as a microscope into the sound. For more organic, neutral enjoyment, I reach more more neutral cans than either of these i.e. less treble, more bass.
Yea the hd800/800s soundstage is one of the most unique characteristics.
It's the best soundstage in terms of width.
I've the 800s it's slightly less airy than the original 800, but still the soundstage as you described is humongous.
I'm also a hoarder LoL 😂🤣, it's quite nice to meet someone like me.
I've a big collection that I collected throughout the years.
I didn't expect much from the t1p, since I already own many high end beyerdynamic headphones.
But I was surprised by how good these are.
I daily drive the hd660s/ utopia 2022, but after I discovered these in my collection I might put both aside for awhile and daily drive these instead.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back