Astell & Kern AK Jr - $499/£399
Apr 24, 2015 at 1:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 162

oneway23

100+ Head-Fier
Pono, Fiio, Ibasso, and Sony take note:

http://www.whathifi.com/news/astell-kern-ak-jr-ps399-high-resolution-audio-player

- 3.1in LCD touchscreen display
- 64GB onboard storage
- (1) MicroSD
A 1.95V RMS headphone output
- Wolfson DAC
- USB DAC funtionality
24-bit/192kHz high-res audio playback
- DSD audio. 2.8MHz DSD files are converted to PCM.
Bluetooth 4.0

Quick thought: Why does the article specifically state that the microSD slot only accepts up to a 64gb capacity?  I guess I just assumed all slots accepted all standards.  Is this a software-based limitation or hardware?

Apr 24, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #2 of 162
Not sure why it says 64 gb specifically for the microSD slot.  I know in other devices they can update the slot capacity as larger cards come out with firmware updates so either this is a typo or if not I would think A&K could update it.

Apr 24, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #7 of 162
mmmmm now another dap tp watch out for maybe this wil has a warm sound that i am after so hope it has eq as well

Apr 24, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #9 of 162
So the whole thing is now on their website as well. I wonder. The same Wolfon 8740 DAC in single config, slight update to the AK100 mk2 - basically the AK100ii in a slimmer design. Hmmmm.

I have the feeling this thing will get smoked by the Fiio X7.

Customer service for AK so far (I have two DAPs from them) has been terrible. So I swore not to buy their stuff anymore.

I really do like the design though (and the sound quality of my AKs).

Cheers,
K

Apr 24, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #12 of 162
no line out what the hell

The other models dont have a "true" line out either.

Im interested in seeing how this will compare to the dx90, cayin N6 and other mid tier models...

So far the comparisons between AK and other mid tier daps generally have not favored the AK prosucts in terms of sound...

Apr 24, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #13 of 162
Is it possible that this thing will only take a 64GB card?That would make it a no go for me.!With cards of 200Gb coming out and 128GB already in the market why would anybody buy a product that maxes out at 128GB?....since all of their other models take the higher capacity cards this doesnt make a lot of sense to me?Perhaps an error?

Apr 24, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #14 of 162
Is it possible that this thing will only take a 64GB card?That would make it a no go for me.!With cards of 200Gb coming out and 128GB already in the market why would anybody buy a product that maxes out at 128GB?....since all of their other models take the higher capacity cards this doesnt make a lot of sense to me?Perhaps an error?

I dont think so... Never heard of such a restriction. And knowing astell n kern and how they cater towards usability... Very unlikely. Maybe the made the ad when 64 gig was thw largest, since 128 hasnt been out for all that long

Users who are viewing this thread

Back