Astell & Kern AK 100 Mk2
Nov 30, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #16 of 182
  You fully accepted those restrictions when you bought and then kept it in the 1st place. If you felt it lacking, you should have returned it. If not, be happy or move on. They never 'changed' the output impedance of the AK120 or AK100. They introduced a new model. There is nothing to claim. Go ahead and have a go at that, LOL. The unit works and works well with some low impedance IEMs. The XBA-4 is a multi driver BA with an 8 ohm impedance and is often noted as a great sounding match to the AK100. We were discussing it's output impedance in 2012 and AK already had this response before the new year. Taken from a Headphonia review dated 12/19/2012:
“Dear All,

I think you guys already known about “RWAK100”
Well, here are our mentions for this issue, please refer to it.

If you change AK100’s output impedance into 0 ohm (by taking off resistance)

PROS :
1. Sound become powerful.
2. enrich sound of high impedance
3. better balance for Armature unit drive earphone.

CONS :
1. Each headset has limitation of maximum output. By reducing impedance of AK100, there could be deterioration of headset and it cause short of circuit. In this case, it consume over 2W electric power and make damage of AK100 circuit.
2. When there is Static Electricity, it can easily damage of AK100. In this case, even it plays but there is no sound.
3. VOC and PL regulation issue will be happed by causing hypacusis and deafness.
4. Even it improves the sound power, it reduces smooth and delicate sound detail of AK100.

Why it still has a 3 ohm output impedance rather than below 1 ohm.

There is nothing defective about it and your post is very much a rant.

They are still selling the standard AK100 as well. Just stop. I hate when folks decide to buy something and then have expectations or bad feelings towards a company after a new model or improvements are made. If you don't like what you have, you shouldn't have bought it in the 1st place or did so for the wrong reasons. This is like the kid that starts a fight because he got what he perceives as the smaller 1/2 of a split chocolate bar even though he had nothing before.

1) I Did not attack or insult You in any way - So I expect the same respect from You.  
2) It may be that it had been discussed in this forum before - I did not know Head Fi Forum  before I bought the AK 100.  Fact is that the output impedance issue has NOT been discussed in Germany when I bought it from a local dealer and he didn't know either. This has not been accepted as reason enough to give it back. 
3) I accept that You are fine with what You got - maybe You could also accept that I have a different view on this. 
4) I am definitely not interested in discussing this with You further   

Dec 12, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #20 of 182
I received the AK100 MK2 today.  A few questions: 

1) How long should I do the burn-in?  I usually do 200 hours for electronics.  Or is 100 hours enough? 

2) The volume control knob seems a bit wiggly.  Is this normal?  I read reviews that said the volume knob seems "cheap." 

3) The volume knob seems too easy to turn.  I was expecting more resistance so it would be harder to turn when the player is in a pocket.  

4) I also got the free dock which allows USB DAC capability.  When using it as a USB DAC to a preamp, should the volume be at maximum? 

5) Some album art is now showing up (it shows up in iTunes and JRiver).  Is there maximum album art size?  Most of my album arts are about 1000x1000 or above. 

Dec 13, 2013 at 6:02 AM Post #21 of 182

1) How long should I do the burn-in?  I usually do 200 hours for electronics.  Or is 100 hours enough? 

0 Hours, I am already wearing the flame suit, but there is physically no way that the electronic components in this device can experience "burn-in," it's an audiophile myth. There just isn't any way that electronics "burn-in," end of story.*

*Lots of people have heard burn in. People have also been cured of many diseases by sugar pills. 

Dec 13, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #22 of 182
Stubborn people were also sure the world was flat until they became more enlightened. Save it for the sound science forum, That's why it's here.
smile.gif

Dec 31, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #23 of 182

0 Hours, I am already wearing the flame suit, but there is physically no way that the electronic components in this device can experience "burn-in," it's an audiophile myth. There just isn't any way that electronics "burn-in," end of story.*

*Lots of people have heard burn in. People have also been cured of many diseases by sugar pills. 

What about it? If they actually were cured by it, is it necessarily a bad thing then or something to laugh about?
You're just admitting that it has an effect on those people, even though you clearly didn't expect it and you don't understand why.

End of story.

Jan 2, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #24 of 182

What about it? If they actually were cured by it, is it necessarily a bad thing then or something to laugh about?
You're just admitting that it has an effect on those people, even though you clearly didn't expect it and you don't understand why.

End of story.

Well, no, I am not sure that you understand the placebo effect, nor what its effect would be in the case of blind vs. sighted listening tests. It is actually that I do understand why that I don't "laugh" at anyone, but would point out that there is merely a placebo effect that, once understood, along with an understanding of electrical components, would reveal the (lack of) burn-in effect.

Jan 10, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #26 of 182
I've now bought an AK100 Mk2 and I must thank posters on this forum for warning about the impedance issue with the base AK100 that I was about to buy. 

I'm really enjoying the device so far, incredible what such a small unit can do.

If you guys are interested I'll post my thoughts when I've tried them with the different headphones I have, these are:

*  Sennheiser HD595
*  Beyer Dynamic DT770 pro 80 ohm
*  Grado SR225 (comfort pads with the middles cut out!)
*  Grado GS1000
*  UE triple fi 10 pro (6N OFHC cable)

I'll be trying them with / without NAIM headphone amp.

Jan 10, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #27 of 182

2) The volume control knob seems a bit wiggly.  Is this normal?  I read reviews that said the volume knob seems "cheap." 

3) The volume knob seems too easy to turn.  I was expecting more resistance so it would be harder to turn when the player is in a pocket.  

4) I also got the free dock which allows USB DAC capability.  When using it as a USB DAC to a preamp, should the volume be at maximum? 

5) Some album art is now showing up (it shows up in iTunes and JRiver).  Is there maximum album art size?  Most of my album arts are about 1000x1000 or above. 

1) No "burn-in" necessary. Personally I don't believe in it, I believe more in "brain" burn in or the time it takes you and your brain to adapt to a new sound signature if coming from a previous player and/or headphone. Anyway, I haven't really noticed any difference.

2) Yes it is... it's the most "scary" part of this player! LOL. I don't like it and agree that it feels cheap.

3) It turns easily but the incremental steps are slow so I don't think you will blow your eardrums if moved a bit in your pocket.

4) Didn't get the dock but I assume so...

5) I believe it has a max size. I think the AK100 (normal) was 750x750 but I'm not sure.

I've now bought an AK100 Mk2 and I must thank posters on this forum for warning about the impedance issue with the base AK100 that I was about to buy. 

I'm really enjoying the device so far, incredible what such a small unit can do.

If you guys are interested I'll post my thoughts when I've tried them with the different headphones I have, these are:

*  Sennheiser HD595
*  Grado GS1000

I almost bought the "normal" version as well as it was way cheaper. Still, got a good deal out of this one.

BTW, is there a "firmware history" page somewhere to see the changes between firmware? Does anyone know?

Thanks.

Jan 11, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #28 of 182
Burn in? That is simply someone who has been indoctrinated into all the BS by the audiofool segment of this community.

Just a note, I have the ak100 non modded and not a mark11. I use vsonics gr07/Beyer t90 and dt1350's. Funny but i am completely happy with my purchase and have no issues with the unit, I love it!
Running a 250 ohm set of cans on my unmodified AK100? Anyone after reading some of the comments that is some sort of crime. I had an amp as I was told I would need, it is up for sale as I found it was not required. I feel no need to upgrade I am really happy with what I have. Probable an unprecedented concept on this site.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 11, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #29 of 182
Anyone having problems with album showing "Unknown"?  Specifically, I click "Artist" on the home screen, click on name of the artist, and there are three album plus "Unknown" that containing all the songs three other albums by that artist.  The artist and track name shows up correctly and plays fine.  Everything is showing up correctly in iTunes and JRiver.  I even tried removing the Album tag on my computer and reentering it, then loading onto the AK100 again (rescanning the library of course).

Jan 17, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #30 of 182

*  Sennheiser HD595
*  Grado GS1000

Any thoughts or impressions yet? What other DAPs have you heard to compare it to? I am specially interested in how it sounds with the TF10s and the HD595s as I have both of these and they have very different signatures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back