Astell&Kern ACRO CA1000 Carriable Headphone Amp
Feb 11, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #421 of 621
I have the Anker 537 Power Bank PD charger for my CA1000. For me it’s just about the perfect charging solution. As it’s supplied with a high-power charger I can use that to charge either the Power Bank or the CA1000 and of course, use the Power Bank to charge the CA1000. The charge indicator on the CA1000 display shows a green battery symbol, indicating the PD fast charging. It’s not cheap but its high-capacity means that wherever I am, I can use the CA1000 without wall charging it.

@phiemon, I see from the other thread that you are now the lucky owner of the CA1000T. I am sorely tempted by this, but at the same time a little apprehensive. I have found a sweet spot with the CA1000 and my HD800S by finally experimenting with Roon’s parametric EQ. I based the settings on those kindly listed by Oratory1990 and made a couple of tweaks of my own. I completely love what I’m hearing!

I’d be very interested to hear comparisons from any CA1000 owners who get the CA1000T. Thanks!

Feb 11, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #422 of 621
I have the Anker 537 Power Bank PD charger for my CA1000. For me it’s just about the perfect charging solution. As it’s supplied with a high-power charger I can use that to charge either the Power Bank or the CA1000 and of course, use the Power Bank to charge the CA1000. The charge indicator on the CA1000 display shows a green battery symbol, indicating the PD fast charging. It’s not cheap but its high-capacity means that wherever I am, I can use the CA1000 without wall charging it.

@phiemon, I see from the other thread that you are now the lucky owner of the CA1000T. I am sorely tempted by this, but at the same time a little apprehensive. I have found a sweet spot with the CA1000 and my HD800S by finally experimenting with Roon’s parametric EQ. I based the settings on those kindly listed by Oratory1990 and made a couple of tweaks of my own. I completely love what I’m hearing!

I’d be very interested to hear comparisons from any CA1000 owners who get the CA1000T. Thanks!
Thank you for the tip on the powerbank, I should have one and I will look into it.

Can you please give me the EQ settings for the HD800S?

I had more time today to look into the CA1000T in conjunction with the HD800S. What can I say, I really don't remember ever being as excited about the HD800S as I am now. The sound, and I confirm this, is extremely holographic, airy and detailed. With the RME ADI, Burson 3X, Hugo 2 and SP3000, the soundstage was in particular right-left for me and I was extremely dissatisfied because of it. Now I also have a lot of verticality, a wall. I have listened to music with the Trifecta until now because I liked it more because of the holographic. But with the CA1000T it's a different story - there's just no comparison!

I have no idea what the CA1000 was like. And unfortunately I don't have the RME ADI anymore - if only the package had come earlier because of the post strike. But again, I've never found the HD800S as satisfying as it is now.

Feb 11, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #423 of 621
Another reason for my hesitation in jumping on the CA1000T straight away is that when I first got the CA1000 it was as a replacement for the SP2000T. Although I didn’t have long to compare the two before I sold the SP2000T, in like-for-like settings comparisons, I found the CA1000 to sound noticeably clearer and better defined. It was this, coupled with the far-superior ergonomics that reassured me of my upgrade decision. Considering they used the same DAC setup, this surprised me a bit. Was the tube implementation having an influence even when set to op-amp mode? I know it shouldn’t.
I tried other DAPs, including the Fiio M17 (sound didn’t impress at all), but for my main uses (usually at my desk or sitting elsewhere in the house), having a unit with weight and that sits the right way round with a screen that faces me and can be operated without actually having to pick it up is a major blessing. Then of course there’s all that lovely power…

Feb 11, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #424 of 621
Thank you for the tip on the powerbank, I should have one and I will look into it.

Can you please give me the EQ settings for the HD800S?

I had more time today to look into the CA1000T in conjunction with the HD800S. What can I say, I really don't remember ever being as excited about the HD800S as I am now. The sound, and I confirm this, is extremely holographic, airy and detailed. With the RME ADI, Burson 3X, Hugo 2 and SP3000, the soundstage was in particular right-left for me and I was extremely dissatisfied because of it. Now I also have a lot of verticality, a wall. I have listened to music with the Trifecta until now because I liked it more because of the holographic. But with the CA1000T it's a different story - there's just no comparison!

I have no idea what the CA1000 was like. And unfortunately I don't have the RME ADI anymore - if only the package had come earlier because of the post strike. But again, I've never found the HD800S as satisfying as it is now.

Amazing to hear!
You must also try the crossfeed feature, this was one of the best things to come from the older CA1000 which I'm sure got carried over to the CA1000T as well. If any of you have a collection of older mono jazz albums like I do, I heard the crossfeed feature would help tremendously in staging.

You are getting me restless in recieving my unit, I preorded it last month but the delay in vendor stock is literal torture!
I'm even contemplating about cancelling my preorder and paying someone from the EU to buy one and ship it to me!

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #425 of 621
Another reason for my hesitation in jumping on the CA1000T straight away is that when I first got the CA1000 it was as a replacement for the SP2000T. Although I didn’t have long to compare the two before I sold the SP2000T, in like-for-like settings comparisons, I found the CA1000 to sound noticeably clearer and better defined. It was this, coupled with the far-superior ergonomics that reassured me of my upgrade decision. Considering they used the same DAC setup, this surprised me a bit. Was the tube implementation having an influence even when set to op-amp mode? I know it shouldn’t.
I tried other DAPs, including the Fiio M17 (sound didn’t impress at all), but for my main uses (usually at my desk or sitting elsewhere in the house), having a unit with weight and that sits the right way round with a screen that faces me and can be operated without actually having to pick it up is a major blessing. Then of course there’s all that lovely power…
I have tested countless known DAC since July 2022 and for one reason or another I have never been truly satisfied. The CA1000T for me right now really has everything I wanted. I will still try to compare it with the RME ADI out of curiosity, but I am sure that the CA1000T is clearly better. I immediately noticed that something had been different, and gradually I realized that this was in a positive sense. Now I really hope that I have finally found my endgame. I just have to get a suitable power supply - honestly A&K, this is not funny at all and it really p****s me off!

For me, the SP3000 was a little better than the RME ADI, but much too smooth for my taste.

Feb 11, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #426 of 621
Amazing to hear!
You must also try the crossfeed feature, this was one of the best things to come from the older CA1000 which I'm sure got carried over to the CA1000T as well. If any of you have a collection of older mono jazz albums like I do, I heard the crossfeed feature would help tremendously in staging.

You are getting me restless in recieving my unit, I preorded it last month but the delay in vendor stock is literal torture!
I'm even contemplating about cancelling my preorder and paying someone from the EU to buy one and ship it to me!
Yes, I’ve tried the crossfeed. The Hugo 2 I owned before had it too. I found that it really only helps where you have stereo recordings that have hard-panned instruments, either to the right or left. Not a problem when listening through speakers, as you hear both channels still with both ears. Not the case with headphones! I would therefore be surprised if crossfeed helped with mono recordings.

Feb 11, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #427 of 621
Yes, I’ve tried the crossfeed. The Hugo 2 I owned before had it too. I found that it really only helps where you have stereo recordings that have hard-panned instruments, either to the right or left. Not a problem when listening through speakers, as you hear both channels still with both ears. Not the case with headphones! I would therefore be surprised if crossfeed helped with mono recordings.

I'm primarily going to use the CA1000T with headphones so it would help with the staging a bit even with mono recordings to some degree but yes, it will still be in 2 channels as opposed to what the recordings were designed for. I also have CD FLACs of albums from the 90s/2000s that are mastered too loud or peaky and crossfeed will make them more pleasant to listen to.

Feb 12, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #428 of 621
I have the CA1000 here for some weeks now and I prefer it (soundwise) over my desktop set-up.
20230212_165416.jpg

Especially the synergy with my good ol' (original) Grado PS500 is a match made in heaven to my ears :)
20230212_165455.jpg

And of course the biggest advantage is its size and portability. Now I can listen everywhere around the house (although I haven't tried the shower yet :sweat_smile:) with my headphones. Wonderful device!

Feb 13, 2023 at 1:01 AM Post #429 of 621
@all who are interested in the CA1000T:

I grabbed one last week, it’s an awesome device, but I’ll keep my SP3K instead, so, if anyone is interested in, reach me out. I listed it already for a great price…

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #430 of 621
Do any of you consider the Acro ca1000 sibilant on high frequencies? Lets say with Sennheiser HD600 or Focal Elegia with changed pads?

Unanswered Never-Mind.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2023 at 8:50 PM Post #431 of 621
Just ordered the CA1000T! My first A&K product. Very interested in how it will compare to my current mobile setup (Fiio Q7) and my desktop setup (Pontus II>ZMF Pendant/Burson Soloist 3XGT). It may be another week or two until it arrives, but I'll try to keep you updated on my findings.

I hope it will receive Roon Arc support in the near future! That would be a huge plus for me as it has become my main music app away from my desktop.

Mar 1, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #433 of 621
CA1000T is pass for me, sound is very good but UI is prehistoric.
I have always talked trash about the A&K UI, there are a handful of android music players out there that have far superior UI but I'm just happy that Astell&Kern has an actual "Favorites" section where it will show your favorite albums that you tag so you can quick access those albums everytime you want to test new headphones.
This feature is absent from iBasso's Mango player/OS and even android Neutron player app.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #435 of 621
@JasonNYC can the CA1000T remain plugged into a charger when in use or indefinitely?
You didn't ask me, but I took this from Astell&Kern's website:
"The ACRO CA1000T has a battery protection mode feature that helps extend battery life. When battery protection mode is enabled, the battery is charged up to 85%, and then the charge stops. If the battery drops below 80%, the battery will start charging again and charge up to 85%. (Battery protection mode will be supported through a firmware update.)"
I received my CA1000T the other day and can confirm this firmware update is not out yet, but by the sound of it is in the works! When it is released, you should be able to leave it plugged in indefinitely if you'd like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back