Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000
Feb 17, 2024 at 10:06 PM Post #3,691 of 4,123
How are the Denons Kiwi? Enjoying them?
First class. Highly recommended.

As an all round music listening device they’re awesome. I’m sure there are plenty of more technically proficient, more transparent etc choices but for the money, the Denons deliver an excellent overall package of comfort and quality that’s going to take some beating IMV.

Not saying it can’t be beaten, just that for US$1200 is pretty darned good.

Feb 18, 2024 at 3:55 AM Post #3,692 of 4,123
First class. Highly recommended.

As an all round music listening device they’re awesome. I’m sure there are plenty of more technically proficient, more transparent etc choices but for the money, the Denons deliver an excellent overall package of comfort and quality that’s going to take some beating IMV.

Not saying it can’t be beaten, just that for US$1200 is pretty darned good.
So now, armed with open-back and closed-back to go with SP3K you’re fully armed and dangerous and ready to venture into the wilds of NZ with all your favourite music 🎶. What a wonderful thought!

Feb 19, 2024 at 5:14 PM Post #3,693 of 4,123
Schermata 2024-02-19 alle 23.13.02.png

To listen to the voice message click here

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 5:40 PM Post #3,694 of 4,123
“Official A&K updates do not change the SQ of their Daps.
Then, if you and other people have the sensation of hearing sound changes, this is your opinion which is not supported by the parent company, namely Astell&Kern.”
That’s a quote from earlier in the thread, maybe around the same time as you were about to be burnt at the stake. I like my SP3K but I also like what GoldenSound does so this could prove to be very interesting. Seems possible now that your Golden Ears might be vindicated and correct. Me, I just like listening to music and can’t say that I’ve ever noticed any difference after a firmware update. But then again I don’t normally hear any difference when I change a cable, maybe because I just listen to the music and don’t analyse what it sounds like.

Feb 21, 2024 at 10:38 AM Post #3,699 of 4,123
New update today to add Apple Classical. No Tidal bit perfect yet. @JasonNYC , any word on when that may happen?

Feb 21, 2024 at 10:41 AM Post #3,700 of 4,123
New update today to add Apple Classical. No Tidal bit perfect yet. @JasonNYC , any word on when that may happen?
The last update on Tidal was that they believe they know what the issue is and was waiting for some additional information from the Tidal team. I will ask for an update.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Feb 22, 2024 at 2:38 AM Post #3,701 of 4,123
I wouldn’t buy either unless you’ve auditioned them.

You can use any UsbC charger. I’ve used my MbP charger to charge my 2k. The Dap draws what it needs
Can I ‘challenge’ that advice…..but only because I’ve been reading about the differences this morning between PD 3.0 and QC 3.0. As I understand it, and please slap me about the head if I get this wrong, there are 2 ‘fast-charging’ ‘standards’; one is PD (Power Delivery) developed by the USB Forum and freely available to all manufacturers, and the other is QC (Quick Charge) developed by Qualcomm to be more ‘intelligent’ and efficient but only available if you pay your license fee. The point of interest here is that Apple is 100% PD only and the SP3000 is, according to the specs, QC 3.0 only. One of the major differences between PD and QC is that QC has ‘intelligence’ built in and will provide to your device whatever volts/amps it needs to maximise its fast charging. PD on the other hand, whilst being able to supply up to 100 watts has a fixed range of watts it can supply i.e. 100, 45, 27, 15 or 7.5, and at each of those wattage levels it can support various voltage levels, BUT with PD the DAP doesn’t draw what it needs, it‘s the PD device that will default to the nearest lower value. Cue the drum roll.
Sorry for being a pedantic pain in the **se and I will happily face the consequences of being wrong 😑 if I have got that wrong. But for the SP3000, for the quickest and most efficient charging you should use a QC 3.0 charger.

Feb 23, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #3,704 of 4,123
That’s what GoldenSound will share with us when he’s ready. Unless of course you subscribe to his channel in which case you could ask him yourself.
His channel completely exposed MQA lies. Tidal quit format after films on GS. Can't wait to hear about firmware AKs.
I have had SA700, SP2K, 2KT now I have SP3000 and im pretty sure that software changes sound but very subtle. Biggest difference was between versions like SS and Copper (probably different software too).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back