Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000
Feb 23, 2024 at 4:08 PM Post #3,706 of 3,987
The last update on Tidal was that they believe they know what the issue is and was waiting for some additional information from the Tidal team. I will ask for an update.
what about di.fm ^^

Feb 23, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #3,708 of 3,987
His channel completely exposed MQA lies. Tidal quit format after films on GS. Can't wait to hear about firmware AKs.
I have had SA700, SP2K, 2KT now I have SP3000 and im pretty sure that software changes sound but very subtle. Biggest difference was between versions like SS and Copper (probably different software too).
Whilst A&K have rejected many times that firmware updates can impact the sound quality they’ve not denied that there is a difference between the SS and Copper versions. The casework is part of the grounding though not on the signal path. However they have stated that it can lead to a perception of the slightly warmer sound of the Cu version.

Feb 25, 2024 at 3:42 AM Post #3,709 of 3,987
Hi, what’s the magic behind getting an apk (Apple Music Classical) installed? Things I tried:
  • Checking Services->Download as with the new version Apple Music Classical should be supported. Not there, yet
  • Connecting SP3k to a Win11 laptop with original USB cable in mode USB MTP/Disk: I see SP3000 with its folders and files, also I’m able to c/p files from device to laptop, BUT I’m unable to c/p files from laptop to SP3k - window refreshes as if something is/was done, but actually nothing is done and no file is copied :rolling_eyes:
Am I doing sth wrong, can’t be that tricky? :sweat_smile:

Also, is anyone facing the issue that the power button from time to time gets „sucked in“? Experienced it already a few times that e.g. I pressed the button to turn off the screen and button stayed in and I needed to „gently pull it out“ to not get the „you wanna turn of the device?“ message. Not reproducible, I travel a lot, maybe due to fast changes in altitude/air pressure!?! @JasonNYC

Two weird issues, enough for a Sunday, have a nice one :beerchug::L3000:

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2024 at 5:04 AM Post #3,710 of 3,987
His channel completely exposed MQA lies. Tidal quit format after films on GS. Can't wait to hear about firmware AKs.
I have had SA700, SP2K, 2KT now I have SP3000 and im pretty sure that software changes sound but very subtle. Biggest difference was between versions like SS and Copper (probably different software too).
I’ve struggled to find much serious review content exploring the difference the case materials make.

Mine is Copper, mainly because I liked the way it looked. The gold one was available but another $2000 on top which seemed a bit much.

Feb 25, 2024 at 8:02 AM Post #3,711 of 3,987
I’ve struggled to find much serious review content exploring the difference the case materials make.

Mine is Copper, mainly because I liked the way it looked. The gold one was available but another $2000 on top which seemed a bit much.
There probably isn’t much content about this. It’s very much like cables, some people claim to hear the difference others don’t. My SP2K is copper and my SP3K is black SS but I’ve never thought about comparing them because so many other things are different between them, not just the case material.

Feb 25, 2024 at 12:10 PM Post #3,713 of 3,987
Hi, what’s the magic behind getting an apk (Apple Music Classical) installed? Things I tried:
  • Checking Services->Download as with the new version Apple Music Classical should be supported. Not there, yet
  • Connecting SP3k to a Win11 laptop with original USB cable in mode USB MTP/Disk: I see SP3000 with its folders and files, also I’m able to c/p files from device to laptop, BUT I’m unable to c/p files from laptop to SP3k - window refreshes as if something is/was done, but actually nothing is done and no file is copied :rolling_eyes:
Am I doing sth wrong, can’t be that tricky? :sweat_smile:

Also, is anyone facing the issue that the power button from time to time gets „sucked in“? Experienced it already a few times that e.g. I pressed the button to turn off the screen and button stayed in and I needed to „gently pull it out“ to not get the „you wanna turn of the device?“ message. Not reproducible, I travel a lot, maybe due to fast changes in altitude/air pressure!?! @JasonNYC

Two weird issues, enough for a Sunday, have a nice one :beerchug::L3000:
While Apple Classical Music is now supported after the last firmware update, the ability to install it from the download tab will be not available until the update pushes out to remaining players. Expected for it to show up in the download tab around February 29. Until it appears on the download tab, you can download the APK from a 3-rd party website such as APK Pure and manually install it by copying the APK to the OpenService folder on the player when connected to a computer. The app will then appear at the bottom of the services tab and can be installed from there if you don't want to wait.

For the power button issue, that is not normal. It could be something has gotten into the volume wheel such as dirt or lint. I would try blowing it out using compressed air and see if that fixes the issue. Also, you say you cannot reproduce it, so it could have been something stuck that came out when you were able to pull it out.

If you have the issue again, please let me know.

Last edited:
Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Feb 25, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #3,716 of 3,987
There probably isn’t much content about this. It’s very much like cables, some people claim to hear the difference others don’t. My SP2K is copper and my SP3K is black SS but I’ve never thought about comparing them because so many other things are different between them, not just the case material.
Indeed. However there is plenty of content about cables!

It would be interesting if one of the reviewers did a review to compare the two just to see if someone with access to both could discern a difference.

Most of us are unlikely to have access to two versions of the SP3000, as you say.

Feb 25, 2024 at 7:12 PM Post #3,717 of 3,987
Maybe is in its mind....
SP3000T.PNG

Definitely...
From where has it appeared? It’s not on the A&K website yet. When it is I’m sure there’ll also be a spec.
it appears... not launched, of course is not in their website yet...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back