Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000
Aug 28, 2023 at 8:37 AM Post #2,881 of 3,982
I have a feeling you want us to convince you for SP3000. :o2smile: I once read that the thin gaming laptops need a million $ of investment to reduce the thickness by 1mm - but that still does not mean that it will be the best thermal performance, and would most probably be performing worse than 1mm thicker laptops. What I want to say is, if you need the SP3000 like functionality with a more suitable configuration, CA1000T would be my choice. But if you really want the SP3000 (and cannot admit it :wink: ), just go with SP3000 for peace of mind. :)
Before the SP3000 I had the CA1000T, even before that the RME ADI-2 Pro SE 2/4 and the normal ADI-2. From my experience I can say for sure about the sound quality with IEMs:

- There is absolutely no difference between the ADI-2 and ADI-2 Pro SE 2/4 (also 4.4mm balanced).
- The CA1000T was notably better than the ADI(s).
- The SP3000 was again notably better than the CA1000T.

By "notably" I mean a general technical superiority that was immediately noticeable. I didn't have to look or strain to ear such a difference. It was simply there, directly audible.

Aug 28, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #2,882 of 3,982
Before the SP3000 I had the CA1000T, even before that the RME ADI-2 Pro SE 2/4 and the normal ADI-2. From my experience I can say for sure about the sound quality with IEMs:
Right, I have the SP3000 in addition to ADI-2 and Pro SE.
- There is absolutely no difference between the ADI-2 and ADI-2 Pro SE 2/4 (also 4.4mm balanced).
RME never claimed to have an audible difference anyway. On the contrary, they mentioned that there is no audible difference.
- The CA1000T was notably better than the ADI(s).
- The SP3000 was again notably better than the CA1000T.

By "notably" I mean a general technical superiority that was immediately noticeable. I didn't have to look or strain to ear such a difference. It was simply there, directly audible.
It is again a misuse of term "technical". Are you able to measure the signals with your ears and do a technical assessment about types of distortion, their approximate levels, SNR levels, etc etc., and asses all that relative to the technical properties of your transducer, and quantify them? If, not, it is not doing a technical comparison and cannot talk about a technical superiority of one over the other. Technical performance means comparing this for RME ADI-2 SE:
1693229868240.png

to SP3000 like this:
1693229927279.png

I can easily see that, for example, output impedance of ADI-2 SE is 0.1 ohms whereas SP3000 is 0.7 ohms. This is a technical superiority, for example. THD-N for ADI-2 SE is 0.00011%, whereas 0.00060%, where ADI-2 is again technically superior to SP3000. You may like it more, but when you say technical, you need to go to technical specifications.

For CA1000T, HP/IEM output specs are not as good (though still inaudibly good) but when you check the line-outs (XLRs), you would see that it is more suitable for using with an external amplifier.
1693230314697.png

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #2,883 of 3,982
Again, once and for the last time let me state: ADI-2 and similar pro-audio level devices are not developed and sold for the audiophiles, they are developed for professionals to sound accurate, and that has nothing to do with sounding good to your ears. ADI-2 may not sound good to your ears but they have a good reputation for developing technically excellent pro-grade audio equipment that is without any coloration and minimal added artefacts.

Aug 28, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #2,884 of 3,982
Right, I have the SP3000 in addition to ADI-2 and Pro SE.

RME never claimed to have an audible difference anyway. On the contrary, they mentioned that there is no audible difference.

It is again a misuse of term "technical". Are you able to measure the signals with your ears and do a technical assessment about types of distortion, their approximate levels, SNR levels, etc etc., and asses all that relative to the technical properties of your transducer, and quantify them? If, not, it is not doing a technical comparison and cannot talk about a technical superiority of one over the other. Technical performance means comparing this for RME ADI-2 SE:
1693229868240.png
to SP3000 like this:
1693229927279.png
I can easily see that, for example, output impedance of ADI-2 SE is 0.1 ohms whereas SP3000 is 0.7 ohms. This is a technical superiority, for example. THD-N for ADI-2 SE is 0.00011%, whereas 0.00060%, where ADI-2 is again technically superior to SP3000. You may like it more, but when you say technical, you need to go to technical specifications.

For CA1000T, HP/IEM output specs are not as good (though still inaudibly good) but when you check the line-outs (XLRs), you would see that it is more suitable for using with an external amplifier.
1693230314697.png
I misspoke, please forgive me. By "technically" better, I mean nothing other than corresponding technicalities such as resolution and soundstage. In this respect, the SP3000 is better than the others for me.

Again, once and for the last time let me state: ADI-2 and similar pro-audio level devices are not developed and sold for the audiophiles, they are developed for professionals to sound accurate, and that has nothing to do with sounding good to your ears. ADI-2 may not sound good to your ears but they have a good reputation for developing technically excellent pro-grade audio equipment that is without any coloration and minimal added artefacts.
Yes, that is correct, I have that information as well, but still.

Aug 28, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #2,885 of 3,982
I owned ADI DAC-FS2 and really loved it for It's capabilities, setting options etc., especially regarding EQ and different HP setups. The only drawback was useability which I found to be terrible with all the myriad options only accessible though buttons and wheels. But RME is addressing this now by releasing a software that allows you to perform all settings and changes with a nice GUI on your computer. And it will work even with oder models. RME is really a great company.

I took a photo of the prototype at Munich HiFi:
1693236562390.png

Still, following your explanation, I think SP3k "sounds" better for IEMs and adding the psychological/placebo effect with such a nice DAP in your hands while listening to your favorite music - pure gold.

Aug 28, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #2,886 of 3,982
I owned ADI DAC-FS2 and really loved it for It's capabilities, setting options etc., especially regarding EQ and different HP setups. The only drawback was useability which I found to be terrible with all the myriad options only accessible though buttons and wheels. But RME is addressing this now by releasing a software that allows you to perform all settings and changes with a nice GUI on your computer. And it will work even with oder models. RME is really a great company.

I took a photo of the prototype at Munich HiFi:
1693236562390.png

Still, following your explanation, I think SP3k "sounds" better for IEMs and adding the psychological/placebo effect with such a nice DAP in your hands while listening to your favorite music - pure gold.
A beta version is already available but only for the ADI-2 DAC. Pro and Pro SE are not yet supported.

1693238307373.png

Aug 28, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #2,887 of 3,982
greetings

which settings gives a more full rich sound using different dac filters and dar

Aug 28, 2023 at 7:51 PM Post #2,888 of 3,982
I used to use the SP2K via optical as the roon point into the chord tt2. Part of the reason I sold it was having to deal with multiple bits and pieces.

Short term use it sounded great.

Long term doesn’t make sense. The DAP isn’t designed to be plugged in and whilst occasional use is okay, daily extended listening wouldn’t be great for the dap battery.

*edit - forgot to quote the post I was replying to the pager prior sorry*

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2023 at 11:15 PM Post #2,889 of 3,982
greetings

which settings gives a more full rich sound using different dac filters and dar
Hi,

From my humble experience (which is now my daily listening)
The Ragnar shod in Azla Crystal;
The DAR with the DSD activation provides a very nice richness where the contours of the notes and their extinctions take more time to express themselves, the decay bathes in a floating atmosphere.

Aug 29, 2023 at 12:51 AM Post #2,890 of 3,982
Hi need some opinion

I’ve been fans for Sony DAPs

WM1A, WM1Z , and currently my go to DAP is Sony WM1AM2

And my favourite IEM currently are Sony IER-Z1R and 64 Audio U4S

Here’s the questions,

I recently installed a proper car audio in my car, as i need to pick up and the kids to school everyday, and i need a proper music to company for the journey so that i won’t be sleepy early in the morning.

In my car I installed a Helix PSix Ultimate DSP which has several inputs, Bluetooth APTX HD, Digital Coaxial, Digital SPDI/F, and Analog RCA.

Currently i connect my Sony WM1AM2 to the Helix DSP using Bluetooth APTX HD since the helix can’t support LDAC. I tried connecting through cable to get better sound quality but since the sony don’t have optical output my inly best bet is using something like ddhifi tc100 usb-c to digital coaxial converter or make a 4.4mm balanced to stereo RCA cable.

Both which I don’t think are the best in terms of sound quality.

So I’m thinking maybe i need to change my DAP instead?

A lot of my friend who are also a car audio enthusiast are Using Astell and Kern SP 3000, and connect it to their DSP with a 3.5mm optical to Digital coaxial cable, and swear by the Sound quality it produce.

But from my personal experiences

I never like AK DAP, i never tried the sp3000 though , i tried the older sr25,sp2000, kann max and for me they sounded “thin” cold and less engaging to the sony dap that i had.

I don’t want to have several DAPs , i just want to have 1 that can follow me wherever i go , so my music collection is in 1 device .

How does the SP3000 sounded ? i heard they are less analytical then previous AK ?

And also i know AK uses closed android OS.

I mainly play

Downloaded apple music high res

And I sometimes use my DAP to watch youtube videos as well

Will it be a problem with AK ?

And lastly how is the synergy of the sp3000 woth sony ier z1r and 64 audio U4s ?

Thank you🙏🏼

Aug 29, 2023 at 3:27 AM Post #2,891 of 3,982
Hi need some opinion

I’ve been fans for Sony DAPs

WM1A, WM1Z , and currently my go to DAP is Sony WM1AM2

And my favourite IEM currently are Sony IER-Z1R and 64 Audio U4S

Here’s the questions,

I recently installed a proper car audio in my car, as i need to pick up and the kids to school everyday, and i need a proper music to company for the journey so that i won’t be sleepy early in the morning.

In my car I installed a Helix PSix Ultimate DSP which has several inputs, Bluetooth APTX HD, Digital Coaxial, Digital SPDI/F, and Analog RCA.

Currently i connect my Sony WM1AM2 to the Helix DSP using Bluetooth APTX HD since the helix can’t support LDAC. I tried connecting through cable to get better sound quality but since the sony don’t have optical output my inly best bet is using something like ddhifi tc100 usb-c to digital coaxial converter or make a 4.4mm balanced to stereo RCA cable.

Both which I don’t think are the best in terms of sound quality.

So I’m thinking maybe i need to change my DAP instead?

A lot of my friend who are also a car audio enthusiast are Using Astell and Kern SP 3000, and connect it to their DSP with a 3.5mm optical to Digital coaxial cable, and swear by the Sound quality it produce.

But from my personal experiences

I never like AK DAP, i never tried the sp3000 though , i tried the older sr25,sp2000, kann max and for me they sounded “thin” cold and less engaging to the sony dap that i had.

I don’t want to have several DAPs , i just want to have 1 that can follow me wherever i go , so my music collection is in 1 device .

How does the SP3000 sounded ? i heard they are less analytical then previous AK ?

And also i know AK uses closed android OS.

I mainly play

Downloaded apple music high res

And I sometimes use my DAP to watch youtube videos as well

Will it be a problem with AK ?

And lastly how is the synergy of the sp3000 woth sony ier z1r and 64 audio U4s ?

Thank you🙏🏼
I know it's not your question but don't you think it's cheaper and more straight forward to install a compatible USB input device where you just plug in your iPhone (or have nowadays standard interfaces like car play etc.)?
That should enhance usability by a great margin especially while driving a car...

Aug 29, 2023 at 3:38 AM Post #2,892 of 3,982
I know it's not your question but don't you think it's cheaper and more straight forward to install a compatible USB input device where you just plug in your iPhone (or have nowadays standard interfaces like car play etc.)?
That should enhance usability by a great margin especially while driving a car...
My car has those built in head unit that also control the ac, functions, etc so i can’t use apple carplay or android auto since the sound quality that comes out from the head unit is quite bad

Aug 29, 2023 at 3:58 AM Post #2,893 of 3,982
My car has those built in head unit that also control the ac, functions, etc so i can’t use apple carplay or android auto since the sound quality that comes out from the head unit is quite bad
Ok, I guess further discussions are derailing this thread but still I am wondering how you connect your new DSP device to that installation or are you bypassing it respectively connecting analogue ports after the proprietary car stereo bus?

Regarding SQ impression Sp3k (or any other DAP) require correct synergies imho let it be IEMs or subsequent amplification.
Just as an example I personally hated sound signature of Sp3k into Topping A70pro and DCA STEALTH but loved it out of N7.
Vice versa I find Meze Elite very good out of Sp3k with extra amplification.
That's why I think you need to lend a unit and try yourself as Noone can know specific synergies with your specific amplification, car loudspeakers and specific car acoustics

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2023 at 4:48 AM Post #2,894 of 3,982

Difficulty reading your grammar aside, you’re saying your friends spent 3700 US dollars on a digital transport for their car? That has a optical output?

Someone correct me but I’m unsure how significant a role the SP3K has over other solutions when used as an optical transport in the car situation

Users who are viewing this thread

Back