Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000
Aug 26, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #2,866 of 4,129
Hi all, hi @JasonNYC. What I really like about A&K software is that, crossfeed and EQ are also available In BT DAC mode. But the problem is, it is possible to activate and change them before entering the BT DAC mode, but after that it is not possible. As you see in the photo below, I can even enable the pull down menu before entering and it can stay on the screen when I enter the BT DAC mode, but disappears if I touch it (I cannot change anything) and cannot be activated again.

Is this a bug? Is it possible to tweak these settings during BT DAC mode?
20230824_162914_HDR.jpg
What case do you have on your SP3K?

Aug 26, 2023 at 11:00 PM Post #2,867 of 4,129
Just some thoughts on battery life. Last night I charged my SP3K to 100% using the supplied AK cable and my normal Anker charger. This morning when I switched the DAP on the battery was showing as 89%. So the battery had lost 11% over night.

At present I have it set that the DAP turns itself off if it is idle for 3 hours. I then of course have to switch it on again when I want to use it. Although I can’t believe that this uses up 11%, but nonetheless does the switching the device on and off use extra battery, and would it be better to leave the player switched on continuously? Also, any ideas that could generally cause an 11% drop?
Had the same issue as u bro, I would suggest switch it off when not in use instead of letting it to idle, when I turn it on the next day, the battery life still remains as what it is

Aug 26, 2023 at 11:03 PM Post #2,868 of 4,129
Still sitting here pondering over which SP3K to go for lol.

Managed to narrow things down to silver stainless steel vs copper. The latter looked rather stunning in the flesh but I am still rather concerned with long term deterioration of the copper finish.

First world problems...
The CU version is just slightly smoother & more vocal prominent, if u had vocal fetish den go for the CU

Aug 27, 2023 at 5:10 AM Post #2,869 of 4,129
What case do you have on your SP3K?
This one. Expensive for a piece of plastic but couldn't find an alternative.
1693127405120.png

Aug 27, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #2,870 of 4,129
This one. Expensive for a piece of plastic but couldn't find an alternative.
1693127405120.png
I think I’ve found it on AliExpress. Is it a soft silicone type of case or is it hard plastic?

Aug 27, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #2,872 of 4,129
One review I read said the SP3K pairs well with CA Andromeda, I have those so hopefully I’ll be satisfied with that match up
Any Andromeda impressions after that 1 year old post?
Thx

Aug 27, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #2,874 of 4,129
Does anyone use the SP3000 as a streamer and dac in their Hifi system?

I thinking of purchasing one and doing so.
Any opinions would be welcome.
Thank you.
Doesn't make much sense to me. What makes a DAP special is that it is portable, but you don't need anything portable. You can get something like FiiO R7 or CA1000T for much less price and much more connectivity options - which is what I would do.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2023 at 4:48 AM Post #2,875 of 4,129
Does anyone use the SP3000 as a streamer and dac in their Hifi system?

I thinking of purchasing one and doing so.
Any opinions would be welcome.
Thank you.
It is possible to setup a desktop system using DAP as source/transport when you can reach component by your hands.
For Hifi system, when you are faraway it is less suitable.
Some streamer such as Bluesound Node is superior in this use case :)

Aug 28, 2023 at 6:09 AM Post #2,876 of 4,129
I already have a full size streamer feeding Chord TT2 and Chord power amp.

Just thinking of reducing the box count and size.

The SP3000 into say the Enleum 23r.

The 23r as a headphone amp and as it has two inputs able to use vinyl with it.

I say this as I have fed the SR35 into the TT2 with good results and also using line out into a passive preamp.

Thanks for your thoughts guys.

Aug 28, 2023 at 6:47 AM Post #2,877 of 4,129
I already have a full size streamer feeding Chord TT2 and Chord power amp.

Just thinking of reducing the box count and size.

The SP3000 into say the Enleum 23r.

The 23r as a headphone amp and as it has two inputs able to use vinyl with it.

I say this as I have fed the SR35 into the TT2 with good results and also using line out into a passive preamp.

Thanks for your thoughts guys.
I have a feeling you want us to convince you for SP3000. :o2smile: I once read that the thin gaming laptops need a million $ of investment to reduce the thickness by 1mm - but that still does not mean that it will be the best thermal performance, and would most probably be performing worse than 1mm thicker laptops. What I want to say is, if you need the SP3000 like functionality with a more suitable configuration, CA1000T would be my choice. But if you really want the SP3000 (and cannot admit it :wink: ), just go with SP3000 for peace of mind. :)

Aug 28, 2023 at 7:27 AM Post #2,878 of 4,129
I have a feeling you want us to convince you for SP3000. :o2smile: I once read that the thin gaming laptops need a million $ of investment to reduce the thickness by 1mm - but that still does not mean that it will be the best thermal performance, and would most probably be performing worse than 1mm thicker laptops. What I want to say is, if you need the SP3000 like functionality with a more suitable configuration, CA1000T would be my choice. But if you really want the SP3000 (and cannot admit it :wink: ), just go with SP3000 for peace of mind. :)
What I have also been wondering about is SQ regardless of price of a good DAP vs a mid priced Desktop system (which should be the usual go-to solution for a Hifi loudspeaker system.
For me IEMs and headphones are the only use case but I have been experimenting using DAPs as a source (as Streamer and DAC/preamp) into Desktop amps like Ferrum Oor and Topping A70pro for my bedside.
My finding was a very good performance for Overears like DCA Stealth (preferred N7 though here from tonality) or Meze Elite but imho it's then up to the use case, e.g.
- dealing with a battery powered DAP rather than having an AC powered device
- if using Roon Sp3k is a decent Streamer even into a desktop rig)wifi is the bottleneck though compared to a good Ethernet Streamer)
- DAP can save space (but that shouldn't be the main concern for the Hifi rig use case)
- going only for specs like dynamic range (not sure if human ear can discern the differences) good Desktop DACs should still have the upper hand vs DAPs like Sp3k but the gaps are getting smaller nowadays
- though I haven't tried loudspeakers with Sp3k as source I can imagine that synergy is key as it is with headphones

Edit: @rocketron just reading the original question wasn't about loudspeaker setup.
Hope my comments can still be helpful
Summary: synergy is key imho

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2023 at 8:12 AM Post #2,880 of 4,129
From my experience ... T+A DAC200 (NOS filter) gives much better performance than the A&K SP3000 feeding a Michi X3 Amplifier over USB.
The Roon stream was not upsampled either.
Both devices were wirelessly connected to the network.

Conversely, the SP3000 was far superior than the T+A DAC200 when using IEMs through their respective 4.4 outputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back