Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000
Aug 20, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #2,851 of 4,126
What seems to be the consensus on stainless steel (black/silver) vs copper? I love how the black and especially the steel versions look, even though the Cu looks quite special too. I also wonder how quickly (or not) it will oxidize- even though I am not a fan of that process on watches, I am aware a lot of people love observing the changes in the metal casing's colouration.
Do a search here and you will find your answer. Otherwise: https://twister6.com/2018/04/09/ak-sp1000-ss-vs-cu/2/

Aug 20, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #2,852 of 4,126
@phiemon already went through the thread, it is all down to taste after all. I am quite interested in the copper model but oxidation remains a concern.

Aug 20, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #2,853 of 4,126
@phiemon already went through the thread, it is all down to taste after all. I am quite interested in the copper model but oxidation remains a concern.
The copper do have a clear coat that will help cut down on oxidation, but with use that will wear and oxidation can eventually happen. We have SP1000 and SP2000 units that have been used for years at shows and handled extensively and they have not oxidized and still look relatively newish.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Aug 21, 2023 at 6:37 AM Post #2,855 of 4,126
I've had my SP2000 for year(s) now and there is only the most subtle of patina. Which you barely notice as it happens slowly and most of the time it lives in the case.

Whether the copper is associated with more warmth or subtle sonic differences will be up to you. My dealership and I love the copper. Whatever they've treated the copper with, it slows down the natural patina.

Aug 24, 2023 at 12:58 AM Post #2,856 of 4,126
I had the pleasure to try the Aura with SP3K silver.
What an amazing musical experience, a truly well balance experience with enough of resolution and technical ability.
If it was few thousand less, I would have walked out of the shop with it.
Summary: If you already have a SP3K and wondering where to next, Aura is a natural next step. I've placed Aura on my must try again for now. Well done to both team for pulling this off.
20230824_114209.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #2,860 of 4,126
Hi all, hi @JasonNYC. What I really like about A&K software is that, crossfeed and EQ are also available In BT DAC mode. But the problem is, it is possible to activate and change them before entering the BT DAC mode, but after that it is not possible. As you see in the photo below, I can even enable the pull down menu before entering and it can stay on the screen when I enter the BT DAC mode, but disappears if I touch it (I cannot change anything) and cannot be activated again.

Is this a bug? Is it possible to tweak these settings during BT DAC mode?
20230824_162914_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2023 at 9:28 PM Post #2,861 of 4,126
Just some thoughts on battery life. Last night I charged my SP3K to 100% using the supplied AK cable and my normal Anker charger. This morning when I switched the DAP on the battery was showing as 89%. So the battery had lost 11% over night.

At present I have it set that the DAP turns itself off if it is idle for 3 hours. I then of course have to switch it on again when I want to use it. Although I can’t believe that this uses up 11%, but nonetheless does the switching the device on and off use extra battery, and would it be better to leave the player switched on continuously? Also, any ideas that could generally cause an 11% drop?

Aug 25, 2023 at 9:57 PM Post #2,862 of 4,126
I too have notice this same battery drain Since the last firmware. At least this is the first time I noticed the drain of the battery to that degree, especially after a full charge.

Aug 26, 2023 at 3:44 AM Post #2,863 of 4,126
Still sitting here pondering over which SP3K to go for lol.

Managed to narrow things down to silver stainless steel vs copper. The latter looked rather stunning in the flesh but I am still rather concerned with long term deterioration of the copper finish.

First world problems...

Aug 26, 2023 at 4:43 AM Post #2,864 of 4,126

Managed to narrow things down to silver stainless steel vs copper. The latter looked rather stunning in the flesh but I am still rather concerned with long term deterioration of the copper finish.

First world problems...
First world problems indeed :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

If it’s any consolation I did much the same with Black vs Silver around launch time.
Truth be told, with its case on it, chassis colour seems pretty immaterial with regard to ascetics.

More to the point have you heard both?.
Some here report a slightly different sound with the copper version, I’d audition both before making that decision.

Aug 26, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #2,865 of 4,126

First world problems...
@JasonNYC mentioned there's no problem with deterioration/patina with CU SP2k, even with heavily used demo devices from audio shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back