Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000
Apr 22, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #2,251 of 4,129
Apr 24, 2023 at 12:58 AM Post #2,254 of 4,129
This weekend I had a chance to compare the SP3000 Cu with the SS version. I sold my black SP3000 and upgraded to a Copper LE a couple weeks ago and I’ve been absolutely loving it. I suspected there were some minor sound sifferences from the SS version, however I couldn’t say for certain because I hadn’t heard them together to perform an A/B test.

Thankfully I’ve now got the opportunity to do so using a friends SS unit and I can confirm that my suspicions were true, they do indeed sound marginally different. I asked my wife to help me with blind testing and I could pick out the SS and Cu quite easily, so the differences are certainly there as far as I’m concerned, however I wouldn’t say that one or the other sounds better per se. Just a matter of taste and preference. That said, now that I’ve heard both and compared them, I’m tempted to buy another SS for myself because I can see situations where I might prefer one over the other. RIP wallet 😅

SS has a slightly cooler tonality, and a more pronounced mid-bass emphasis. Vocals and mids sound a touch more revealing and treble has a little more upper treble emphasis.

Cu has a deeper sub bass extension and a generally fuller lower end, with lusher mids and a slightly heavier note weight. Treble still is very airy and well extended, but has a slightly more textured feel to it at the expense of a small amount of clarity and detail retrieval.

For my tastes and preferences, I think Cu works a little better for me. I mostly use an UM Multiverse Mentor which already has a mid-bassy bass response and can use the extra sub bass emphasis to balance it out. It also has a strong mid and upper treble response that can get a bit fatiguing if used with the wrong source, and I find Cu does a slightly better job at taming those highs and bringing a more natural tone to the overall sound.
Good test.
It could be that you are successfully identifying the device that sounds different to yours, and that device is the Cu.
If you decide to get an SS, then trying a new blind test with your new SS, your Cu and your friends SS would be interesting. Would you be able to identify the Cu easely?

Apr 24, 2023 at 1:29 AM Post #2,255 of 4,129
Good test.
It could be that you are successfully identifying the device that sounds different to yours, and that device is the Cu.
If you decide to get an SS, then trying a new blind test with your new SS, your Cu and your friends SS would be interesting. Would you be able to identify the Cu easely?
Yeah, the only other variable could be the age of the device but the Cu is only a couple weeks old, probably about 10 hours, and the SS is about 2 hours old. A third device would be cool to test. Unfortunately the SS is now off to its owner.

Apr 26, 2023 at 5:02 PM Post #2,256 of 4,129
Hi guys, so I'm going to be daring and ask a big question.

I'm loving the SP3000 but now looking to level up my headphones.

Currently I have Sennheiser M4s.

I do like them but am in the mood to splash the cash for a new pair.

I'm torn between Solitaire Ts and Meze Lirics.

Both fundamentally different but gives an idea of the headache I'm facing.

I'm leading towards the Solitaire s T as they offer everything apart from the Planar experience and the more I read and see about them, it's starting to feel like they could be my end game pair due their versatility as well being super portable.

So questions 🫣

1) Has anyone experienced the SP3000 with either?
2) which one has superior and deeper bass?

Apr 26, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #2,257 of 4,129
Hi guys, so I'm going to be daring and ask a big question.

I'm loving the SP3000 but now looking to level up my headphones.

Currently I have Sennheiser M4s.

I do like them but am in the mood to splash the cash for a new pair.

I'm torn between Solitaire Ts and Meze Lirics.

Both fundamentally different but gives an idea of the headache I'm facing.

I'm leading towards the Solitaire s T as they offer everything apart from the Planar experience and the more I read and see about them, it's starting to feel like they could be my end game pair due their versatility as well being super portable.

So questions 🫣

1) Has anyone experienced the SP3000 with either?
2) which one has superior and deeper bass?
I currently have the Meze Lirics and the Focal Utopia. The closed back Lirics are truly remarkable and musical with the SP3000. There is a sensation of height and depth with the sound stage that is hard to describe. To my ears, they rival the Utopias, but have a different tonality (more relaxed). The base extension with the Lirics also is truly satisfying and crisp.

I’m not a professional reviewer, but I love great music paired with great gear. It serves as a place of contentment in a very busy life!

Best wishes on your search and finding your personal (musical) oasis.

Apr 28, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #2,259 of 4,129
I currently have the Meze Lirics and the Focal Utopia. The closed back Lirics are truly remarkable and musical with the SP3000. There is a sensation of height and depth with the sound stage that is hard to describe. To my ears, they rival the Utopias, but have a different tonality (more relaxed). The base extension with the Lirics also is truly satisfying and crisp.

I’m not a professional reviewer, but I love great music paired with great gear. It serves as a place of contentment in a very busy life!

Best wishes on your search and finding your personal (musical) oasis.
I'm on a similar system, sp3000, mine happens to be the black one, with the meze liric. I keep looking for a reason to buy some other headphones but I have to say for now I'm actually satisfied..

Apr 28, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #2,260 of 4,129
Nice post man, it really makes sense.
On a side note I tried for the first time the sp3000 balanced out of the 2.5 connection and I am bloody hooked, bigger soundstage, more details, and the dsd resampling sounds gorgeous, albeit with less bass extension that the standard reproduction
You were only using 3.5mm before?

Apr 29, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #2,263 of 4,129

Users who are viewing this thread

Back