Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000
Apr 21, 2023 at 12:41 AM Post #2,238 of 4,126
Thought I'd try out the SP3K Cu with a TPU case. :)

IMG_6269.jpeg
IMG_6270.jpeg
IMG_6272.jpeg
IMG_6273.jpeg

Apr 21, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #2,239 of 4,126
Thought I'd try out the SP3K Cu with a TPU case. :)

IMG_6269.jpegIMG_6270.jpegIMG_6272.jpegIMG_6273.jpeg
what’s your impression of the Cu? If I recall you too owned SP2K in copper. I’m thinking of pulling the trigger on it myself. Just not too sure though as my experience owning the previous gen wasn’t that all impressive (not the same level of detail retrieval as SS). I am hoping that with adding silver (Ag) to the alloy would improve “fuzziness”. Lol

Apr 21, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #2,240 of 4,126
what’s your impression of the Cu? If I recall you too owned SP2K in copper. I’m thinking of pulling the trigger on it myself. Just not too sure though as my experience owning the previous gen wasn’t that all impressive (not the same level of detail retrieval as SS). I am hoping that with adding silver (Ag) to the alloy would improve “fuzziness”. Lol
I'll be getting my pre order in for the CU on May 1st, so hopefully soon after that I'll have both to compare, ss vs cu.

Apr 21, 2023 at 8:18 PM Post #2,241 of 4,126

Thus far it has been excellent. Well… it all depends on what you are seeking. For me, the Cu brings with it musicality and lushness. Of course, SP3KCu is a step up from SP2KCu, just as SP3K is a step above SP2K generally. However, if you prefer clinical details above all else, then perhaps SS is for you. :)

Apr 21, 2023 at 8:46 PM Post #2,242 of 4,126
Getting some listening in with FitEar DC and Eletech Aeneid to start the long Eid weekend. :)

IMG_6299.jpeg

Apr 22, 2023 at 1:13 AM Post #2,243 of 4,126
Apr 22, 2023 at 4:15 AM Post #2,244 of 4,126
Apr 22, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #2,246 of 4,126
And the Cu is better at conveying emotions and nuances, rather than just details. Interesting that it references the similarity in tonality to the Sony 1ZM2.
Would you agree with the statement that Cu is inferior to SS/Black when it comes to micro details reproduction? Thanks!

Apr 22, 2023 at 4:26 PM Post #2,247 of 4,126
4C813990-DD94-4A08-A30E-C423D6604423.jpeg
This weekend I had a chance to compare the SP3000 Cu with the SS version. I sold my black SP3000 and upgraded to a Copper LE a couple weeks ago and I’ve been absolutely loving it. I suspected there were some minor sound sifferences from the SS version, however I couldn’t say for certain because I hadn’t heard them together to perform an A/B test.

Thankfully I’ve now got the opportunity to do so using a friends SS unit and I can confirm that my suspicions were true, they do indeed sound marginally different. I asked my wife to help me with blind testing and I could pick out the SS and Cu quite easily, so the differences are certainly there as far as I’m concerned, however I wouldn’t say that one or the other sounds better per se. Just a matter of taste and preference. That said, now that I’ve heard both and compared them, I’m tempted to buy another SS for myself because I can see situations where I might prefer one over the other. RIP wallet 😅

SS has a slightly cooler tonality, and a more pronounced mid-bass emphasis. Vocals and mids sound a touch more revealing and treble has a little more upper treble emphasis.

Cu has a deeper sub bass extension and a generally fuller lower end, with lusher mids and a slightly heavier note weight. Treble still is very airy and well extended, but has a slightly more textured feel to it at the expense of a small amount of clarity and detail retrieval.

For my tastes and preferences, I think Cu works a little better for me. I mostly use an UM Multiverse Mentor which already has a mid-bassy bass response and can use the extra sub bass emphasis to balance it out. It also has a strong mid and upper treble response that can get a bit fatiguing if used with the wrong source, and I find Cu does a slightly better job at taming those highs and bringing a more natural tone to the overall sound.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #2,248 of 4,126
4C813990-DD94-4A08-A30E-C423D6604423.jpegThis weekend I had a chance to compare the SP3000 Cu with the SS version. I sold my black SP3000 and upgraded to a Copper LE a couple weeks ago and I’ve been absolutely loving it. I suspected there were some minor sound sifferences from the SS version, however I couldn’t say for certain because I hadn’t heard them together to perform an A/B test.

Thankfully I’ve now got the opportunity to do so using a friends SS unit and I can confirm that my suspicions were true, they do indeed sound marginally different. I asked my wife to help me with blind testing and I could pick out the SS and Cu quite easily, so the differences are certainly there as far as I’m concerned, however I wouldn’t say that one or the other sounds better per se. Just a matter of taste and preference. That said, now that I’ve heard both and compared them, I’m tempted to buy another SS for myself because I can see situations where I might prefer one over the other. RIP wallet 😅

SS has a slightly cooler tonality, and a more pronounced mid-bass emphasis. Vocals and mids sound a touch more revealing and treble has a little more upper treble emphasis.

Cu has a deeper sub bass extension and a generally fuller lower end, with lusher mids and a slightly heavier note weight. Treble still is very airy and well extended, but has a slightly more textured feel to it at the expense of a small amount of clarity and detail retrieval.

For my tastes and preferences, I think Cu works a little better for me. I mostly use an UM Multiverse Mentor which already has a mid-bassy bass response and can use the extra sub bass emphasis to balance it out. It also has a strong mid and upper treble response that can get a bit fatiguing if used with the wrong source, and I find Cu does a slightly better job at taming those highs and bringing a more natural tone to the overall sound.
Thank you for this, basically confirms what I was expecting out of the CU based on older variants. Also means I need to get one for my intended pair up (to be paired with UM Mest Indigo and Cleopatra II Octa) while my SS stays with my Viking Ragnar and Magnus 8w. RIP Wallet indeed.

Apr 22, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #2,250 of 4,126
Thank you for this, basically confirms what I was expecting out of the CU based on older variants. Also means I need to get one for my intended pair up (to be paired with UM Mest Indigo and Cleopatra II Octa) while my SS stays with my Viking Ragnar and Magnus 8w. RIP Wallet indeed.
Yeah, similar to SP2K Cu and SS, although I remember the differences between those two being more obvious. I went the other way with SP2000, started with Cu then migrated to SS. SP2K Cu sounded great initially but over time I felt it became too warm and lacked treble sparkle. SS remedied that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back