Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000
Mar 14, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #2,116 of 3,975
i have this feeling with the wm1zm2 :)
More impressions of the PA10 please?

Have you any other full size headphones that you have tried?

Thank you.
No just the Diana TC. I have previously owned many other headphons like the Meze Empyrean and the ZMF Veritè Closed. But I prefer the Diana TC especially with the bass vented Earcups so I have sold all the others. Thinking about getting an IEM though. At the moment I cannot decide whether it is going to be the Viking Ragnar or the Aroma Audio Jewel…

Mar 14, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #2,117 of 3,975
Hi,
I too had some other headphones.
And now it's only mainly the Diana Phi.
It sounds very good behind the sp3000 if you had a good amp.
It's an amazing pairing connected to the Enleum hpa-23rm current output (source: AK sp3000 line out)

Mar 15, 2023 at 2:23 AM Post #2,118 of 3,975
No just the Diana TC. I have previously owned many other headphons like the Meze Empyrean and the ZMF Veritè Closed. But I prefer the Diana TC especially with the bass vented Earcups so I have sold all the others. Thinking about getting an IEM though. At the moment I cannot decide whether it is going to be the Viking Ragnar or the Aroma Audio Jewel…
Jewel is an incredible IEM and with SP3000 it is a truly sublime pair, detailed sound, perfectly balanced, musical and dynamic. Fantastic synergy

Mar 15, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #2,121 of 3,975
Do any of you use the SP3000 out and about, in particularly when commuting, if so how cumbersome/otherwise do you find it in this regard?

Mar 15, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #2,122 of 3,975
Do any of you use the SP3000 out and about, in particularly when commuting, if so how cumbersome/otherwise do you find it in this regard?
I use the SP3000 practically every day, away from home, in my trouser pocket.
No problem for me

Mar 15, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #2,123 of 3,975
I am doubting between the A&K SP3000 and the Sony NW-WM1ZM2. Can anyone enlighten me with what brand is better in the high-end era?
I think you’ll have to do your own due-diligence. If you’re from Europe It’s a no-brainer as the Sony is being limited in volume/power here to an unusable level. Some Sony DAPs even seem to be „bricked“ by Sony in the US, as well, as users reported. Not sure if this is the case for the 1ZM2. In Asia, you should be fine with the Sony, I guess.

Other than that, it comes to personal preference. I think both are great and unique. I like the A&K style and their new UI that’s why I‘d have chosen the SP3000 even if the Sony wasn’t rendered useless in Europe.

Mar 15, 2023 at 4:09 PM Post #2,124 of 3,975
I don't own a top end Sony DAP but what puts me off is that (seemingly) you need to debloat the DAPs, there are even guides online to achieve this. I only want my DAP for one thing, to play music, anything else is diluting the purpose imo. Probably someone who has one can give a first-hand experience of this.

Mar 16, 2023 at 5:26 AM Post #2,125 of 3,975
I don't own a top end Sony DAP but what puts me off is that (seemingly) you need to debloat the DAPs, there are even guides online to achieve this. I only want my DAP for one thing, to play music, anything else is diluting the purpose imo. Probably someone who has one can give a first-hand experience of this.
I agree here, the AK player is designed through and through for its ability to play music. I do Not want to do anything else with it, but play music. Oh, and to play music well it does.

Mar 18, 2023 at 6:45 AM Post #2,127 of 3,975
I agree. I have both rs8 and sp3k. They’re both great in their own respect, very different from each other.

What I can say for sure is that the power management of the sp3k is terrible: despite being a closed android in idle it sucks an uncanny amount of power. And if you decide to turn it off it takes quite a long time to turn on and re index

Mar 18, 2023 at 8:05 AM Post #2,128 of 3,975
Just... no. Not for me, at least. For me, the ergonomics of the Hiby are just not good (I owned the R8 once, so I know what I'm talking about). Cables coming from the bottom, volume wheel on top. Add the mediocre looks and the "full Android experience". Also the A&K EQ is much better than MSEB. Pass for me.

The SP3k sets the gold standard with imo best looking DAP of all time, among the most beautiful UX and perfectly optimized Android for full audio pleasure only. Nails it 100%.

Mar 18, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #2,129 of 3,975
Just... no. Not for me, at least. For me, the ergonomics of the Hiby are just not good (I owned the R8 once, so I know what I'm talking about). Cables coming from the bottom, volume wheel on top. Add the mediocre looks and the "full Android experience". Also the A&K EQ is much better than MSEB. Pass for me.

The SP3k sets the gold standard with imo best looking DAP of all time, among the most beautiful UX and perfectly optimized Android for full audio pleasure only. Nails it 100%.
Greetings from Minnesota! I’m new to the thread and AK products.

That said, I picked up my SP3000 on Thursday and couldn’t agree more with the quality and sound. I’d considered the high-end Sony (for nostalgia’s sake given the sense of freedom that came from riding a bike with a Walkman and foam headphones 35 years ago).

One question I have is whether there is a way to have the default screen land on one of the app screens like Roon Arc or Tidal vs the six sample songs they loaded?

Thanks for any advice!

Mar 18, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #2,130 of 3,975
I think it always defaults to the local music (e.g. one of the preloaded demo songs). If you load more music to the player it will randomly pick one of your songs, very neat.

But I feel you, I also only listen to local files on rare occasions and usually jump directly to Apple Music, Tidal etc.

I think there is no other way than to push the button down left and then chose your streaming app. If it's still active you can swipe down from the top and chose your streaming app from there. But no default to a specific app after a fresh start as far as I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back