Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000
Mar 18, 2023 at 10:14 PM Post #2,132 of 4,051
Is there any fix planned for the albums showing all their included tracks bug when browsing albums? It's a bit hard to understand how this hasn't been fixed yet. It's essentially impossible to browse albums if you have a decent number of them for an artist. For such a well-designed device, how did this problem make it through?
The latest firmware should have that fixed already...

Mar 19, 2023 at 11:37 PM Post #2,134 of 4,051
Is there any fix planned for the albums showing all their included tracks bug when browsing albums? It's a bit hard to understand how this hasn't been fixed yet. It's essentially impossible to browse albums if you have a decent number of them for an artist. For such a well-designed device, how did this problem make it through?
This was a MAJOR beef I had with the original firmware. With the latest update, this was fixed!

Mar 20, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #2,135 of 4,051
Can you share more info please on what your issue is? Track display bugs were fixed in the last firmware update. Are you saying you are still having issues? With music stored in internal storage or external storage? Streaming apps?

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Mar 22, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #2,137 of 4,051
When playing from Qobuz I still have the issue when the player display is gone dark after some minutes playing and if then I pauze the played song with the middle pauze/play button, wait sometimes more then one minute and want to resume playing with the same button it will not resume. Only offer several pushes it sometimes resumes. This is not happening if the screen is on.

Mar 22, 2023 at 7:50 PM Post #2,138 of 4,051
So it's been over a week since my SP3000 arrived.

I have to say I'm supposedly shocked how good it really is.

The DAR function makes old songs sound phenomenal.

I like the snappy UI and actual coming to terms with having it just for music (closed Android version).

It also looks stunning, and a few days ago I also received my Alcantara Grey Leather case and that too is top of the line and definitely turns heads when I pull it out.

My only question to everyone is, how to I get more bass from the EQ settings as I'm bit of a newbie to actually using the EQ.

I normally use PowerAmp.

Is it to early to say SP3000 maybe the new crowned KING 👑

Mar 22, 2023 at 11:46 PM Post #2,139 of 4,051
25AE580E-5F2D-42CC-931F-ADF65ABEB634.JPG

After a long hiatus, I decided to jump back into the portable world for a little, and knew I had to go with the SP3000 after CanJam (and after being a loyal devotee to the SP2k CU). Much like others have alluded to, A&K has aimed for a natural, neutral-sounding DAP that still exhibits excellent musicality through its organic and spacious presentation. At the moment, I am only pairing it with the UM Multiverse on the IEM side, but it very well is the best portable setup I've ever heard. My previous favorite combination was the SP2000 CU + Oriolus Traillii, which had sweet, lush, romanticized mids with a smooth, detailed presentation. However, SP3000 + MM has it beat on 3D staging and overall dynamics (likely due to the BCD and enhanced DAP technicalities) which leads to more versatility and engagement.

1178852B-ADEA-41A5-B225-0EA1C2B6ABD5.JPG

Of course we will see how the SP3000 CU sounds versus the SS variants, but SP3000 SS is less warm, more dynamic and more spacious than its SP2000 CU sibling. I must admit that I initially was not impressed with DAR-the sound was a bit digital, sharp at times, and sounded inorganic. But after a switch from DSD to PCM, everything clicked. Mids were pushed forwards, timbre and texture enhanced, bass a bit more detailed (which was necessary for Multiverses' BA bass), and slightly smoother top end. Soundstage width sounds more expansive at slight cost of depth, which would align with the more forward, organic vocals. Call me a happy camper :) .

E2C543B7-2ACE-4C5F-AC14-5D53B1798BE7.JPG
(Is this a PS5?)

I was also impressed to see that pairing the SP3000 with the Meze Elites provided an excellent portable alternative to my tethering desktop rig. The SP3000 drives the Elites easily with volume at about 85-100, providing an excellent soundstage, imaging, detail and musicality that the HP is known for.

With the updated UI, DAP speed, and DAC filters, SP3000 is an easy recommendation from my end if you're looking for a TOTL player. Being a R2R hoe, I can also comfortably state that the SP3000's natural presentation is as close as it gets to that magical, organic sound (perhaps only trailing slightly on instrument, vocal, and bass decay).

237C1EA9-5DFF-4CF1-BE47-29BF3201824F.JPG

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2023 at 2:51 AM Post #2,140 of 4,051

After a long hiatus, I decided to jump back into the portable world for a little, and knew I had to go with the SP3000 after CanJam (and after being a loyal devotee to the SP2k CU). Much like others have alluded to, A&K has aimed for a natural, neutral-sounding DAP that still exhibits excellent musicality through its organic and spacious presentation. At the moment, I am only pairing it with the UM Multiverse on the IEM side, but it very well is the best portable setup I've ever heard. My previous favorite combination was the SP2000 CU + Oriolus Traillii, which had sweet, lush, romanticized mids with a smooth, detailed presentation. However, SP3000 + MM has it beat on 3D staging and overall dynamics (likely due to the BCD and enhanced DAP technicalities) which leads to more versatility and engagement.

Of course we will see how the SP3000 CU sounds versus the SS variants, but SP3000 SS is less warm, more dynamic and more spacious than its SP2000 CU sibling. I must admit that I initially was not impressed with DAR-the sound was a bit digital, sharp at times, and sounded inorganic. But after a switch from DSD to PCM, everything clicked. Mids were pushed forwards, timbre and texture enhanced, bass a bit more detailed (which was necessary for Multiverses' BA bass), and slightly smoother top end. Soundstage width sounds more expansive at slight cost of depth, which would align with the more forward, organic vocals. Call me a happy camper :) .

(Is this a PS5?)

I was also impressed to see that pairing the SP3000 with the Meze Elites provided an excellent portable alternative to my tethering desktop rig. The SP3000 drives the Elites easily with volume at about 85-100, providing an excellent soundstage, imaging, detail and musicality that the HP is known for.

With the updated UI, DAP speed, and DAC filters, SP3000 is an easy recommendation from my end if you're looking for a TOTL player. Being a R2R hoe, I can also comfortably state that the SP3000's natural presentation is as close as it gets to that magical, organic sound (perhaps only trailing slightly on instrument, vocal, and bass decay).
Do you prefer to use DAR on PCM and not on DSD? Only on CD quality songs or all?

Mar 23, 2023 at 7:01 AM Post #2,141 of 4,051

(Is this a PS5?)

237C1EA9-5DFF-4CF1-BE47-29BF3201824F.JPG
Welcome to the club!

Mar 23, 2023 at 8:32 AM Post #2,142 of 4,051
Do you prefer to use DAR on PCM and not on DSD? Only on CD quality songs or all?
Yep-DAR on PCM for all regardless of whether using Tidal streaming or local hi-res files. Curious what other settings folks prefer.

Mar 23, 2023 at 8:41 AM Post #2,143 of 4,051
Yep-DAR on PCM for all regardless of whether using Tidal streaming or local hi-res files. Curious what other settings folks prefer.
I use Qobuz , and with Jewel I prefer Dar Dsd , because it gives me a slight soundstage boost .
But they both sound great , and I like to use both , depending on which album I 'm listening to 🙂

Mar 23, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #2,144 of 4,051
I use Qobuz , and with Jewel I prefer Dar Dsd , because it gives me a slight soundstage boost .
But they both sound great , and I like to use both , depending on which album I 'm listening to 🙂
Nice-I imagine having the First Times cable (which I recall being a bit dark) definitely helps create a nice synergy with DSD’s more energetic sound.

Mar 23, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #2,145 of 4,051
what you guys are using as charging adaptor ? i see some recommendations in the manual as per voltage/amperage.

it’s written :
We recommend using a QC 3.0 charger at 5V 2A / 9V 1.67A / 12V 1.5A. If you use a charger exceeding 12V and 1.5A, it may not operate normally and may result in product damage or failure.

i am using a newer iphone charger that is 9v/2.2a (those with usb-c port).
i also have 5v/1a charger with usb-a port.
i could also plug it into macbook pro charger with usb-c that does either 20,5v/4,7a or 15v/3a or 9v/3a or 5,2v/3a (doesn’t have a switch, i think it detects what’s required??)

or

i can go to amazon and find yet another charger (i hate to collect adaptors)

some people say lesser the volts and amps better it is for battery life…

any advise ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back