Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000
Dec 10, 2022 at 8:34 PM Post #1,381 of 4,124
That’s how you deliver feedback to someone who’s got problems. Thank you!
Indeed. And it’s much appreciated.

Dec 10, 2022 at 9:38 PM Post #1,382 of 4,124
I've been waiting since this afternoon to post because I don't want to interrupt the exchange going on ... But here's what I'm hoping someone can answer...

I just received the sp3000 in silver and didn't realize that it was a fingerprint magnet on the back. Based on pictures I assumed it was matte finish. Is the black version just as prone to fingerprints?

I know this is minor to the big issues people seem to be having so my apologies for interrupting...

Dec 10, 2022 at 10:18 PM Post #1,383 of 4,124
@JayF

Yes it is

NOMAX

Dec 10, 2022 at 10:57 PM Post #1,384 of 4,124
But you know fan boys have rose coloured glasses.

I’m stating again what I did before: if I buy a Ferrari I expect a Ferrari experience, nothing less.
Man, you clearly never owned a Ferrari:beyersmile:
Just go to any forum or youtube and read/watch about how Ferrari is like the worst car manufacturer in terms of customer support, and how numerous and different are the problems that Ferrari owners face. And on top of that you are not allowed by Ferrari to fix these issues, you must go through their incredibly bad system and wait months for easy fixes. And if they find out that you did, they will literally sue you!

So yeah, Fiat is like 10 times better.

And while criticism and feedback are very valuable, you are just whining, compared to the others, who share and describe their problems. Your first post was about things you don't like. Everybody got it - you really like double tap feature, and don't want to turn it off. Now just wait for AK to solve the issue if it is possible. After that, you were just spamming negativity, this won't help anyhow

Dec 10, 2022 at 11:20 PM Post #1,385 of 4,124
Man, you clearly never owned a Ferrari:beyersmile:
Just go to any forum or youtube and read/watch about how Ferrari is like the worst car manufacturer in terms of customer support, and how numerous and different are the problems that Ferrari owners face. And on top of that you are not allowed by Ferrari to fix these issues, you must go through their incredibly bad system and wait months for easy fixes. And if they find out that you did, they will literally sue you!

So yeah, Fiat is like 10 times better.

And while criticism and feedback are very valuable, you are just whining, compared to the others, who share and describe their problems. Your first post was about things you don't like. Everybody got it - you really like double tap feature, and don't want to turn it off. Now just wait for AK to solve the issue if it is possible. After that, you were just spamming negativity, this won't help anyhow
I described all my issues very punctually.

I'll say that everything is perfect, so you can relax and breath positivity :)

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2022 at 4:58 AM Post #1,387 of 4,124
I am not sure why you still have the DAP. It obviously hasn't met your expectations, sell it and move on
Hi,

@damascato is right. When you buy high end goods, whatever it may be, you don’t always just sell and move on. Not speaking of your home after your relocation.
Criticism is part of ownership process and it is the raison d’être of all those satisfaction surveys.

I’m surprised in this case, A&K, of the relative blindness of the reviewers who no one (perhaps I’m mistaken) pointed out the poor quality of the Music app.
Let’s read this comment from a very high end server manufacturer :

Strongly believing the synergy between hardware and software can make or break system, a dedicated audio operating system of the highest quality was chosen to optimize the music data flow. This is where Euphony Audio has joined our ranks. A fully customized version of Euphony Stylus OS was developed for the 2.16 ultra hardware platform. The exceptional harmony of the hardware and software transforms the 2.16 ultra into the next generation digital audio sources. Stylus provides the music enthusiast with a captivating yet user friendly audio experience.
A&K have shown that they are able of high level engineering. Perhaps they could sign partnerships with Music app developers (I have in mind ultimately Metronome and Audirvana) to definitely make a “next generation portable digital audio source”.

Dec 11, 2022 at 5:24 AM Post #1,388 of 4,124
I am surprised that fingerprint issues would be a shock. Before buying my silver one I looked at many reviews, and the phrase "fingerprint magnet" was everywhere!
That's true but the SP3000 is extreme. I have never touched any object in my life that was that extreme regarding fingerprints. It looks immediately ugly as soon as you touch it which is not optimal for a device that is operated by touch... And the removal of these prints is very cumbersome, you need to get over it several times with a micro fibre cloth before it shines again.

But ok, it comes with a cover that solves the issue. I personally found it better if it was also useable without cover but it isn't for the fingerprints alone.

Dec 11, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #1,389 of 4,124
That's true but the SP3000 is extreme. I have never touched any object in my life that was that extreme regarding fingerprints. It looks immediately ugly as soon as you touch it which is not optimal for a device that is operated by touch... And the removal of these prints is very cumbersome, you need to get over it several times with a micro fibre cloth before it shines again.

But ok, it comes with a cover that solves the issue. I personally found it better if it was also useable without cover but it isn't for the fingerprints alone.
Optical lens wipes work. Just waiting for third party clear TPU case as with previous AK daps never been a fan of their cases.

Dec 11, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #1,390 of 4,124
Agreed about criticism. Again, for that last time, you have issues, he has issues, I have no issues. While this is no where near the price of a Ferrari, it is expensive. Since cars seem to be the only thing understood here, if I bought a Ferrari and it was not as I wanted I would sell and move on. What you deem not constructive may very well be constructive to others. This is just a classic case of you not agreeing with my opinion and so therefore I'm not free to state it. The same as it is in the real world today, but like it or not others don't share the same opinion. Sorry
You selling something you not happy with is absolutely fine. Telling someone else to sell and move on is forcing your opinion on others which is slightly different. I’m sure AK will continue to improve the user experience and fix those issues that need fixing. Do I think a little less of AK than before? Yes, but it’s not irreversible.

Dec 11, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #1,391 of 4,124
You selling something you not happy with is absolutely fine. Telling someone else to sell and move on is forcing your opinion on others which is slightly different. I’m sure AK will continue to improve the user experience and fix those issues that need fixing. Do I think a little less of AK than before? Yes, but it’s not irreversible.
You just wish to keep poking me huh? You have totally ignored @damascato and his initial post that started the discussion. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/astell-kern-a-ultima-sp3000.965000/post-17287012

Here are some highlights; 1- too many bugs - zero specifics 2- a set of features that doesn’t match previous products - this is a new player with a redesigned UI, I have had 5 or 6 AK players, I have no idea what is missing, or maybe the previous products you are talking about are Cayin or iBasso 3- close to zero user testing, as it doesn’t include a ton of feature that seem vital to many users. - he has zero idea how much user testing was done or what features the masses want . If Jason was to forward this to developers, it doesn't give them much to go on. We know tap to wake doesn't work exactly as you wish, okay.

"This behaviour from a company which is supposed to manufacture the most premium DAPs on the market is, quite honestly, appalling." - appalling? Again, not happy with the "appalling" company or their product, move on.

"All the excuses to avoid using a stock android experience and then with find ourselves with a (great sounding) half baked experience which could have been mitigated by the use of a third party music plate (did anyone say HiBy?)" All of these things were well known, walled garden such as your iPhone, we also knew that the music player wasn't Hiby. And no, I saw no one say Hiby in this thread.

"Where’s the new software? After months since launch??"
"Congratulations!" - the entire post that started this all was campy, sarcastic, whiney and most certainly not going to get recognized by anyone that can make this player a Hiby or iBasso or whatever you want. Again, they have had a couple of updates, just because they didn't think enough of your constructive criticisms to improve your wish list doesn't ,mean they haven't updated.

Again, you didn't like my delivery, a delivery based on another posters delivery.

I will be the bigger man and say, I am the bad guy okay I admit it. I hope this helps you heal.

I am not forcing anything on anyone, weird statement.

Again, @damascato and your opinion align and mine doesn't align with yours so you feel some kind of way and the need to tell me opinion and delivery isn't how you would like it. However, when I didn't agree with @damascato and voiced my opinion, my opinion isn't welcome or I am "forcing" you in some weird kind of way. If you wish to keep something you don't like that is your prerogative, I would choose to sell it. To each their own.

I frankly and obviously don't care what anyone thinks of my opinion, hit the ignore button, change the channel if you don't want to watch what is on. I was quiet and you pulled me back.

This is my 5th or 6th AK player, are they perfect no. Again, if I wasn't happy I would sell it and move on. I have had multiple iBasso's, Cayin's, Hiby, Shanlings and the list goes on. When I wasn't happy, I sold them. I can assure you AK will not match the ibasso music app because you want it. If AK wants to do it, they will, and all of the whining won't change that. If you want a specific music app or features, buy the player that has it. There is no guarantee, how many firmware updates the player will have or what features will be included. I am sure they care about customers that come with constructive feedback.

@JasonNYC can only relay your wish list to the powers that be, I am sure he forwards them on. Folks buy a product and then are mad because the product isn't exactly how they want it. Threads are full of unhappy, whining people about their new Google phones, iPhones and so on. You name it, it is never good enough.

Again the SP3000 is not perfect, nothing is. That is why we have options and not just one shade of grey. Does the SP3000 play music? Yes, arguably better than any other out there, even though the N8ii is real close. I know there is more to it than sound quality, it is about the complete experience. At this point, you wait and see if they have updates specific to your needs and wants, or you sell it, count your losses and move on.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #1,392 of 4,124
Just got mine in Silver - nice!
Do I see it right that there is no more any Gain setting?
So, assuming it always plays at maximum gain, right?

Attachments

• 27B13005-4594-41C7-862D-61BD080F08FA.jpeg
    27B13005-4594-41C7-862D-61BD080F08FA.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Dec 11, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #1,393 of 4,124
Just got mine in Silver - nice!
Do I see it right that there is no more any Gain setting?
So, assuming it always plays at maximum gain, right?
There is no gain setting. It only plays at the established gain. If my memory doesn't fail me, the SP2K was the same.

Dec 11, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #1,395 of 4,124
Here's a bug I noticed. Or if it's not a bug, it's something I'd like to see fixed. On Tidal (using the integrated Tidal service) when I choose an album on the SP2000, it shows me a list of all the tracks. On the SP3000, once you choose the album, you only see the first track. There doesn't seem to be a way to choose an album and then jump directly to a specific track?
I just picked up my SP3000 yesterday and have noticed the same thing... It only shows the first track on the built in Tidal. You can hit forward to advance to other tracks but no way to view the full listing. I'm coming from the SP2000T and it shows the full track listing. If this was a design decision, why?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back