Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000
Oct 14, 2022 at 6:32 AM Post #379 of 4,079
I agree with you. It is more a puzzle as to why it takes so long. It is certainly more an Amstrad rather than a MAC in booting up.
I love to listen to it and think it was worth the upgrade and would recommend it to SP2000 owners as long as it is affordable to folks.
Especially given that it is a device with a relatively capable cpu/gpu that is only running a handful of apps.

Oct 14, 2022 at 7:06 AM Post #380 of 4,079
I’ve been letting this run for a good few days now and so today was actually the first day I’ve properly listened to SP3000. I used my Phonix with stock 2.5mm cable. I didn’t have a huge amount of time today due to work commitments, but I did manage to get in a David Gilmour Live album on Tidal MQA.
Thanks for your impression. So you've let it run for a few days without listening to it, is that because you didn't like it at first? Is this your first AK dap?

Oct 14, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #382 of 4,079
photo_2022-10-14_23-48-52.jpg

Took delivery of the SP3k today from a local store (AVONE)
Only recently got into IEMs as i needed a portable rig for travel (Mostly a 2ch guy these days, and very much into headphones in the past)
Build quality is absolutely stunning, definitely feels premium in your hands.

Some early impressions
With the Default settings (DAC Filter at 'short delay sharp roll off') ,

Iems used : Thieaudio Monarch Mk2 and Moondrop Variations
I have a tonal preference for anything rich and euphoric in sound and the SP3k is exactly that . Its similar in tone to what a DAVE+MScaler sounds like in my desktop system, where the addition of the scaler makes everything sound more organic and lifelike, more natural if you will .
Sadly i dont have any point of reference for modern DAPs in general as my previous one was a AK320 which i still have with me . The AK320 in comparison sounds cold and clinical , a little dry and grainy. The SP3K sounds far more fluid and effortless.
Either way , am enjoying its presentation so far .

Oct 14, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #383 of 4,079
photo_2022-10-14_23-48-52.jpg
Took delivery of the SP3k today from a local store (AVONE)
Only recently got into IEMs as i needed a portable rig for travel (Mostly a 2ch guy these days, and very much into headphones in the past)
Build quality is absolutely stunning, definitely feels premium in your hands.

Some early impressions
With the Default settings (DAC Filter at 'short delay sharp roll off') ,

Iems used : Thieaudio Monarch Mk2 and Moondrop Variations
I have a tonal preference for anything rich and euphoric in sound and the SP3k is exactly that . Its similar in tone to what a DAVE+MScaler sounds like in my desktop system, where the addition of the scaler makes everything sound more organic and lifelike, more natural if you will .
Sadly i dont have any point of reference for modern DAPs in general as my previous one was a AK320 which i still have with me . The AK320 in comparison sounds cold and clinical , a little dry and grainy. The SP3K sounds far more fluid and effortless.
Either way , am enjoying its presentation so far .
Liking the look of that case, as well! Seems like the excitement will be building around these parts as we head through the weekend!

Oct 14, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #384 of 4,079
Thanks for your impression. So you've let it run for a few days without listening to it, is that because you didn't like it at first? Is this your first AK dap?
This is the first AK one I’ve owned. It actually sounds good straight out of the box, but I have this thing where I like to burn my gear in for at least 100hrs before I start using it.

Oct 14, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #386 of 4,079
I also like the fact the case side loads with a little flap so easier to remove when changing sd cards.
It’s not that easy to remove from the case in my experience. I find that it needs a bit of gentle coaxing to get it out.

Oct 14, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #390 of 4,079
I will get my SP3000 next week. For those who use TIDAL, understand that unfortunately, this is not a high level of sound performance at all. Please take a look at this video to understand why.

I work full-time in audio for over 24 years now. As a music addict, I listen to much new music which comes out on Friday each week. The quality in general regarding recordings is getting worse every single year. I have auditioned also a lot for MQA, and most of those recordings are rather limited. You can hear it in the fact that there is often distortion. They abuse the word 'Master', often are those recordings even laughable.

When you want to stream Qobus is by far the best, but I know it is still not everywhere available. As I mentioned earlier, buying music and playing it directly is far superior to any kind of streaming. In my world (Tru-Fi world which stands for True Fidelity and consists of all aspects/parameters that sound possesses) streaming is just for little children. I am a born perfectionist and only believe in superiority. Everything that is less than the best has no meaning or purpose in each single price range. I own over 35000 euros in music which most I bought in the last 9 years, I bought for over 2500 euros of new music every single year.

What are the headphones people use over here for the SP3000 and why do they prefer these?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back