Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000
Oct 10, 2022 at 1:15 AM Post #256 of 4,087
Some have read my criticism about output power....

@JasonNYC

Why does a 4300 Euro flagship player take 49 seconds in 2022 to start? 😎

NOMAX

PS.when i turn it on
(I guess nobody talks about that in the reviews...but i do 😉)
I think this is a valid question, it is a long time, even longer than my Kann Cube if its accurate.
I would assume the onboard storage is a solid state drive and with a reduced implementation of ios and fast octa-core processor, startup should be fairly quick should it not?

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2022 at 3:11 AM Post #257 of 4,087
Since the member who posted this, did not reply, I’d like to ask the community: Are these two PVD coatings shown above applicable to SP3000? Looking at the second picture, Au (short for “Aurum”) is referred to Gold as chemical element that is on top of TiN (stannum) . Since we only know of Silver and Black versions, it is hard to believe there is gold pvd used here. Maybe @JasonNYC can shed light on this? Thanks!
Suitable for SP3000 process
Different color PVD different processing methods
Same as watch craftsmanship

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2022 at 3:16 AM Post #258 of 4,087
s-l300.jpg
220px-Physical_Vapor_Deposition_(PVD).jpg

Oct 10, 2022 at 6:54 AM Post #259 of 4,087
My black unit arrived today- love the look overall. Kudos to @PhilW of Audio Concierge for the brilliant buying experience.

Haven't listened to it yet but here is a small list of impressions:

-the DAP is rather massive but really well built
-the screen is big and beautiful and the interface is very snappy
-packaging is far more in line with brands like Cayin and Lotoo than with the SP2000 and its lovely wooden box
-love the included green leather case and its design
-the included screen protectors are useless, exactly like the ones that came with the SP2000

-Roon works in the same way as before ie you need another device to browse your library and select what to play
->this is a glaring omission and a total waste of the screen real estate and upgraded hardware
-->I hope full Roon compatibility is in the works, along with Roon ARC support

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 0E137722-3E08-44F7-8E00-39BED55CA6D5.png
    0E137722-3E08-44F7-8E00-39BED55CA6D5.png
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 10, 2022 at 9:40 AM Post #261 of 4,087
Some have read my criticism about output power....

@JasonNYC

Why does a 4300 Euro flagship player take 49 seconds in 2022 to start? 😎

NOMAX

PS.when i turn it on
(I guess nobody talks about that in the reviews...but i do 😉)
I can tell you about a portable music player that starts in 0.5 seconds ( zero dot five ) and in that time plays music too !

Oct 10, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #262 of 4,087
My black unit arrived today- love the look overall. Kudos to @PhilW of Audio Concierge for the brilliant buying experience.

Haven't listened to it yet but here is a small list of impressions:

-the DAP is rather massive but really well built
-the screen is big and beautiful and the interface is very snappy
-packaging is far more in line with brands like Cayin and Lotoo than with the SP2000 and its lovely wooden box
-love the included green leather case and its design
-the included screen protectors are useless, exactly like the ones that came with the SP2000

-Roon works in the same way as before ie you need another device to browse your library and select what to play
->this is a glaring omission and a total waste of the screen real estate and upgraded hardware
-->I hope full Roon compatibility is in the works, along with Roon ARC support
what do you mean by "another device"? do you mean it doesn't just act as a Roon endpoint?

Oct 10, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #263 of 4,087
what do you mean by "another device"? do you mean it doesn't just act as a Roon endpoint?
For you to start using Roon on the sp3k, you need to use another device (smartphone/laptop etc) to select what to play and pick the sp3k as the endpoint to play the music on.

This is much the same way in which devices like the Chord Poly and Chord 2Go work with Roon. However, the above two examples don't have an actual screen, unlike the sp3k...

Oct 10, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #264 of 4,087
For you to start using Roon on the sp3k, you need to use another device (smartphone/laptop etc) to select what to play and pick the sp3k as the endpoint to play the music on.

This is much the same way in which devices like the Chord Poly and Chord 2Go work with Roon. However, the above two examples don't have an actual screen, unlike the sp3k...
NYanakiev, hopefully A&K will get it sorted out where the SP3K wil work with Roon Arc. That would be killer for accessing your local files and the streams from Tidal/Qobuz via Roon. Very powerful!

Oct 10, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #265 of 4,087
Does SP3000 have a way to keep the screen live? Mine should be here this week.

Oct 10, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #266 of 4,087
NYanakiev, hopefully A&K will get it sorted out where the SP3K wil work with Roon Arc. That would be killer for accessing your local files and the streams from Tidal/Qobuz via Roon. Very powerful!
Well, for it to work properly, A&K need to improve how their devices work with Roon.

Imagine being on the go with the sp3k in your pocket but having to use your phone to actually find what music to play. This is how the Poly works but it is a much smaller device compared to the SP3K.

Oct 10, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #267 of 4,087
Well, for it to work properly, A&K need to improve how their devices work with Roon.

Imagine being on the go with the sp3k in your pocket but having to use your phone to actually find what music to play. This is how the Poly works but it is a much smaller device compared to the SP3K.
I’d rather much be able to access my files via Roon Arc with only having to leave my laptop on while I’m out and about and letting my phone be a phone.

Oct 10, 2022 at 1:24 PM Post #268 of 4,087

Roon has very specific specs and requirements for certification of devices and AK certified devices all adhere to Roon's specs. There is currently no Roon specs for Roon Ready devices to have screens and also control Roon. That will most likely change now that Roon Arc has been released.

The current Roon Remote app for Android does not support bit-perfect playback and therefore is not considered Roon Ready by Roon.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Oct 10, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #269 of 4,087
Roon has very specific specs and requirements for certification of devices and AK certified devices all adhere to Roon's specs. There is currently no Roon specs for Roon Ready devices to have screens and also control Roon. That will most likely change now that Roon Arc has been released.

The current Roon Remote app for Android does not support bit-perfect playback and therefore is not considered Roon Ready by Roon.
Thanks for elaborating. Hopefully Arc will change that indeed.

Oct 10, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #270 of 4,087

This is getting exciting!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back