Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000
Jan 17, 2024 at 10:12 AM Post #3,511 of 3,989
Thank you for all the responses, it feels like I accidentally triggered a not very pleasant conversation, but hopefully any conversation helps to find the truth.

There is one advice that was not given, and this is something I would still love to try, which is using EQ to make SP3000 sound warmer. I have spent hours these two days trying to identify the right way to do it, because the EQ itself is quite simple and is different from many recommendations I found. There is no option to even set Q as 0.5, and I don't know how to adjust it properly. I also found some advice on Reddit how to improve the EQ so that my Hifiman HE1000 V3 sound better, and again I am confused.

Would someone who understands the way EQ work help advise which frequencies I would need to adjust specifically?

P.S. I know that many of you would advise me not to use EQ at all, but I have tried doing it for 4 months and apparently it doesn't work for me. As soon as I heard a warmer sound through a different DAC, I realised how much I missed it.
It’s not an EQ problem. The problem is that the SP3000 doesn’t do a great job of driving full-sized headphones (this is also true of most other DAPs). The solution would be to get an external amp like the Mass Kobo 475 or Brise Tsuranagi. Or alternatively to get a DAP with a more powerful amp section like the N30LE or 320max. I’m sure that any of the above options will sound far better than the Mojo2.

Jan 17, 2024 at 11:30 AM Post #3,512 of 3,989
Can you explain why do you think SP3K cannot drive HE1000? These headphones are pretty easy to drive, and I'm enjoying the listening experience at 90 volume, which is far from maximum.

As per my understanding, an amp is not needed in this case, as volume is a key indicator.

If I am wrong, happy to be informed otherwise, so I can make better decisions in the future.

(Why Mojo sounded better, are you saying it is more powerful than SP3K when driving full sized?).

Jan 17, 2024 at 11:49 AM Post #3,513 of 3,989
Can you explain why do you think SP3K cannot drive HE1000? These headphones are pretty easy to drive, and I'm enjoying the listening experience at 90 volume, which is far from maximum.

As per my understanding, an amp is not needed in this case, as volume is a key indicator.

If I am wrong, happy to be informed otherwise, so I can make better decisions in the future.

(Why Mojo sounded better, are you saying it is more powerful than SP3K when driving full sized?).

I think there is a common misconception about required power. There are definitely full-size headphones that can’t be driven well off the SP3000 (Susvara and some other low efficiency headphones). But many can be perfectly used with it if you don’t want to use ear-damaging volume levels.

I checked the HE1000 v2 with headphones.coms calculator. They also measured the SP3k and said it delivered 0.2w into 32ohms. I think it should work. The HE1000se would be easier to drive, but the HE1000 should work with the SP3k.

1705510009729.png

Jan 17, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #3,514 of 3,989
It’s quality over quantity for me. SP3K can definitely drive even the Heddphone 1 on SE so there’s no reason that it can’t drive the HE1K. Susvara I can understand since that one requires around 1 Watt at 60 ohm to sound unrestrained and exactly like the Sennheiser HE-1

Jan 17, 2024 at 12:13 PM Post #3,515 of 3,989

It’s nothing to do with volume and being able to get the headphones loud enough. I have no idea what the principle is, but I can tell you that any of my headphones or IEMs that need over, say, 50-60 volume on the SP3k sound a lot better through an amp rather than directly through the SP3k. Better soundstage, more low-end, better transients. If it’s an IEM that works below 50-60 volume (like the Rn6, Xe6, Fei Wan), there’s less of a difference when using an external amp.

I haven’t heard the Mojo. So to be fair I can’t tell you whether or not the Mojo’s power section is any better than the SP3k (I was assuming that could be a reason for the difference, but maybe not). But at any rate I just think it’s a mistake to try to drive headphones through an unamped SP3k. For example I have the Focal Stella, which are also considered easy to drive, and they sound far better when I run them through an amp.

And to be clear, I’m saying this as a big fan of the SP3k, for the quality of its DAC and for the UI.

Jan 17, 2024 at 12:32 PM Post #3,516 of 3,989
It’s nothing to do with volume and being able to get the headphones loud enough. I have no idea what the principle is, but I can tell you that any of my headphones or IEMs that need over, say, 50-60 volume on the SP3k sound a lot better through an amp rather than directly through the SP3k. Better soundstage, more low-end, better transients. If it’s an IEM that works below 50-60 volume (like the Rn6, Xe6, Fei Wan), there’s less of a difference when using an external amp.

I haven’t heard the Mojo. So to be fair I can’t tell you whether or not the Mojo’s power section is any better than the SP3k (I was assuming that could be a reason for the difference, but maybe not). But at any rate I just think it’s a mistake to try to drive headphones through an unamped SP3k. For example I have the Focal Stella, which are also considered easy to drive, and they sound far better when I run them through an amp.

And to be clear, I’m saying this as a big fan of the SP3k, for the quality of its DAC and for the UI.
Thank you! Got it. I wish I could do more tests. I will go to the largest hi fi audio store this weekend and try more options, with amps, without amp, other DACs etc.

Jan 17, 2024 at 2:23 PM Post #3,519 of 3,989
So saying that someone measured this or that without knowing the conditions of the measure (distortion level) is writing crap , have the ierz1r, and they play very well, regardless of volume level, maybe someone in this forum bought a sp3000 with a defective amplifier section, i would check that

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 7:03 AM Post #3,522 of 3,989
I think there is a common misconception about required power. There are definitely full-size headphones that can’t be driven well off the SP3000 (Susvara and some other low efficiency headphones). But many can be perfectly used with it if you don’t want to use ear-damaging volume levels.

I checked the HE1000 v2 with headphones.coms calculator. They also measured the SP3k and said it delivered 0.2w into 32ohms. I think it should work. The HE1000se would be easier to drive, but the HE1000 should work with the SP3k.

1705510009729.png
I own the HE1000 V3 Stealth and can confirm that the SP3000 drives them like a champ. Even though they sound even better when I also use the PA10.

Jan 18, 2024 at 7:43 AM Post #3,523 of 3,989
I own the HE1000 V3 Stealth and can confirm that the SP3000 drives them like a champ. Even though they sound even better when I also use the PA10.
Hey NYanakiev! You seem to have Mojo 2 + Poly, and one of the few people who could help me to become a better listener. I have spent around 30 hours this week with both Mojo 2 (friend's) and SP3000, and still can't figure out what is happening.

What I have finally understood is that SP3000 is extremely neutral, a brilliant device. When I used by HE1Kv3 though, they just sound TEN times better with Mojo 2. Soundstage is so much wider and the base has depth. I have done a lot of EQ adjustments on SP3000, it started to sound much better, as I have increased 30hz to 120hz (+3.4db going down gradually to +0.2), and worked a bit on other frequencies as well. This is also due to HE1kV3 having a very neutral bass.

I am still trying to replicate that depth and soundstage that I can hear with Mojo 2 using SP3000. This is not a small imaginary difference. It is HUGE.

The stock no EQ usage of the same headphones on these two DACs provide absolutely difference experience. I am just learning here, and will be glad to hear any more views or opinions. It is good that we argue sometimes, as it helps all of us grow here.

Thanks again everyone.

Jan 18, 2024 at 7:44 AM Post #3,524 of 3,989
P.S. You actually surprised me that a pre-amp further improves the sound. I don't understand how it works from technology perspective, as it seems that SP3000 is more than enough to power HE1Kv3.

Jan 18, 2024 at 7:53 AM Post #3,525 of 3,989
Hey NYanakiev! You seem to have Mojo 2 + Poly, and one of the few people who could help me to become a better listener. I have spent around 30 hours this week with both Mojo 2 (friend's) and SP3000, and still can't figure out what is happening.

What I have finally understood is that SP3000 is extremely neutral, a brilliant device. When I used by HE1Kv3 though, they just sound TEN times better with Mojo 2. Soundstage is so much wider and the base has depth. I have done a lot of EQ adjustments on SP3000, it started to sound much better, as I have increased 30hz to 120hz (+3.4db going down gradually to +0.2), and worked a bit on other frequencies as well. This is also due to HE1kV3 having a very neutral bass.

I am still trying to replicate that depth and soundstage that I can hear with Mojo 2 using SP3000. This is not a small imaginary difference. It is HUGE.

The stock no EQ usage of the same headphones on these two DACs provide absolutely difference experience. I am just learning here, and will be glad to hear any more views or opinions. It is good that we argue sometimes, as it helps all of us grow here.

Thanks again everyone.
Interesting- I haven't tried using the Hifiman with the Mojo 2 but will give it a go and report my findings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back