Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000
Jan 10, 2024 at 2:35 PM Post #3,496 of 3,990
This forum is a joke .....:wink::wink::wink:my God, 1 person finds out that IN IS OPINION the mojo 2 is the best of the best ( if it is opinion is MUCH BETTER than sp3000 must be....) them the sp3000 is throw to be a transport.....the Dap is light years better than the Mojo but tastes are tastes, is this type of things that i like , in other thread one user said that listened to the Dap in question ( not saying names because of religion matters) and did not like that much and other user from the club fans teached him how to relieve ear pressure...my god the problem is not the Dap could not be everyone cup of tea is the user ears that have the problem....here in this thread everybody accept all barbarities and take it has normal....the only use of this forum is really only for classifieds....nothing more....is a disillusionment...

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 2:50 PM Post #3,497 of 3,990
I just can say great things about the Mojo2 (+Poly) SQ, had it for more than a year and used it frequently... recently I moved to a AK SE300 and despite tastes are tastes, we not talking about the same league... A/B the two for a few hours and ended up selling the Mojo2
Haven't tested SP3000 but is difficult to imagine the Mojo 2 delivering better SQ...

Jan 10, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #3,498 of 3,990
I would agree. I’ve own the original Mojo and it’s a pretty spectacular device for what it is.
But you need to consider case use and functionality as well in arriving to a decision to sell the SP3000.
Before you make that decision consider them all otherwise you might have regret.
You can also consider buying the Mojo and using the 3000 as a transport.
I have the Hugo2 and the AK SP2K. Chord is sonically different enough that it may be worth having both.

I used the SP2K as the digital transport and Roon endpoint for a Chord TT2 before I sold it on. It works really well in that regard.

I would suggest listening to the SP3k more. It’s a technically excellent DAP

Jan 11, 2024 at 8:45 AM Post #3,499 of 3,990
This forum is a joke .....:wink::wink::wink:my God, 1 person finds out that IN IS OPINION the mojo 2 is the best of the best ( if it is opinion is MUCH BETTER than sp3000 must be....) them the sp3000 is throw to be a transport.....the Dap is light years better than the Mojo but tastes are tastes, is this type of things that i like , in other thread one user said that listened to the Dap in question ( not saying names because of religion matters) and did not like that much and other user from the club fans teached him how to relieve ear pressure...my god the problem is not the Dap could not be everyone cup of tea is the user ears that have the problem....here in this thread everybody accept all barbarities and take it has normal....the only use of this forum is really only for classifieds....nothing more....is a disillusionment...
Hey headphone supreme genius. I didn’t insinuate that it is now a throwaway and now relegated to be just transport. I said it can be used as one. I won’t regurgitate the rest.

Jan 11, 2024 at 1:03 PM Post #3,501 of 3,990
Hey guys.
I’ve just started to use my new SP3000 and so far with the Odyssey I’ve just bought it’s been a pleasing experience.
But apologies if it’s been discussed before but after searching I can’t find an answer.
Does anyone use Tidal and attempt to watch music videos on the SP3000?
I’m finding it very jittery whereas YouTube is flawless when using the V-Link app on it?
Sound is fine just Tidal video seems like it’s struggles to keep up with the sound.
Wi-Fi is fine, I’m getting 150mbps download speeds and have tried 2.4ghz and 5ghz to see if either affect it or not, but it makes no difference.
I’m just seeing if anyone else has seen this or has any advice?
Many thanks….

Jan 11, 2024 at 3:38 PM Post #3,502 of 3,990
I have the Hugo2 and the AK SP2K. Chord is sonically different enough that it may be worth having both.

I used the SP2K as the digital transport and Roon endpoint for a Chord TT2 before I sold it on. It works really well in that regard.

I would suggest listening to the SP3k more. It’s a technically excellent DAP
Each to their own and I‘ve never listened to the Hugo and never will because micro-usb and only unbalanced out are 100% dealbreakers for me in 2024 (even in 2020, to be honest…)

Jan 13, 2024 at 9:05 AM Post #3,504 of 3,990
Hey guys.
I’ve just started to use my new SP3000 and so far with the Odyssey I’ve just bought it’s been a pleasing experience.
But apologies if it’s been discussed before but after searching I can’t find an answer.
Does anyone use Tidal and attempt to watch music videos on the SP3000?
I’m finding it very jittery whereas YouTube is flawless when using the V-Link app on it?
Sound is fine just Tidal video seems like it’s struggles to keep up with the sound.
Wi-Fi is fine, I’m getting 150mbps download speeds and have tried 2.4ghz and 5ghz to see if either affect it or not, but it makes no difference.
I’m just seeing if anyone else has seen this or has any advice?
Many thanks….
I’ve used the Tidal video app in the past with no issue. But frankly not the best device for that type of application. I think moving forward the device should include at minimum wifi 6 for better performance And that module is not so expensive an add on for an almost 4K device.

Jan 16, 2024 at 3:26 AM Post #3,506 of 3,990
Thank you for all the responses, it feels like I accidentally triggered a not very pleasant conversation, but hopefully any conversation helps to find the truth.

There is one advice that was not given, and this is something I would still love to try, which is using EQ to make SP3000 sound warmer. I have spent hours these two days trying to identify the right way to do it, because the EQ itself is quite simple and is different from many recommendations I found. There is no option to even set Q as 0.5, and I don't know how to adjust it properly. I also found some advice on Reddit how to improve the EQ so that my Hifiman HE1000 V3 sound better, and again I am confused.

Would someone who understands the way EQ work help advise which frequencies I would need to adjust specifically?

P.S. I know that many of you would advise me not to use EQ at all, but I have tried doing it for 4 months and apparently it doesn't work for me. As soon as I heard a warmer sound through a different DAC, I realised how much I missed it.

Jan 16, 2024 at 4:09 AM Post #3,507 of 3,990
Thank you for all the responses, it feels like I accidentally triggered a not very pleasant conversation, but hopefully any conversation helps to find the truth.

There is one advice that was not given, and this is something I would still love to try, which is using EQ to make SP3000 sound warmer. I have spent hours these two days trying to identify the right way to do it, because the EQ itself is quite simple and is different from many recommendations I found. There is no option to even set Q as 0.5, and I don't know how to adjust it properly. I also found some advice on Reddit how to improve the EQ so that my Hifiman HE1000 V3 sound better, and again I am confused.

Would someone who understands the way EQ work help advise which frequencies I would need to adjust specifically?

P.S. I know that many of you would advise me not to use EQ at all, but I have tried doing it for 4 months and apparently it doesn't work for me. As soon as I heard a warmer sound through a different DAC, I realised how much I missed it.
Maybe just as an idea which might be more user friendly.
- Pick up an Android mobile phone.
- Install Hiby Player App.
- Try to connect Sp3k hooked up to the phone via USB as an external device.
- If that is working out you can use the Hiby tuning system MSEB to tune certain areas to your liking and see if that is generally getting to what you are seeking.
- If yes then I think there's a way to figure out how to translate that Hiby equalization to some regular EQ-settings

If you yet have a regular Android DAP you can use that one instead of your mobile phone

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 11:48 AM Post #3,508 of 3,990
CUT
- If that is working out you can use the Hiby tuning system MSEB to tune certain areas to your liking and see if that is generally getting to what you are seeking.
- If yes then I think there's a way to figure out how to translate that Hiby equalization to some regular EQ-settings

If you yet have a regular Android DAP you can use that one instead of your mobile phone
Great advise! MSEB its really easy to use.

Jan 16, 2024 at 8:02 PM Post #3,510 of 3,990
Something that really pains me of the SP3k is its battery life, which compared to other flagship devices like the RS8, is absolutely appalling. The problem is especially the standby battery, which is similar to the playback one… how can it be on a device with a closed Os which removed all the extra useless android stuff.

My other DAP, the RS8, can be in standby literally for days with minimal battery consumption…. And it’s full Android.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back