Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000
Jan 29, 2023 at 6:58 AM Post #1,786 of 3,982
Well I have both of them now.
If we talk about portability SP3000 is a bit more compact and not so bulky with a bigger screen, but N8ii battery last much longer.
It also looks much more luxurious while Cayin has those techno-geek vibe.

In terms of sound quality the biggest differences to me are the following:
1. SP3K has literally zero hiss and the best control over all frequencies - very clear, crisp and not diffused if track doesn’t call for it, but it’s not a dealbreaker for me. Like when I listen to N8ii I don’t have a feeling that I’m missing something.
2. N8ii provide a better sense of scene depth and layering as SP3K has more elevation in sub bass and highs which makes it more forward overall.
That is also a reason why N8ii has a better defined bass line for example.
3. N8ii not only have tubes but a switch for class A or class AB amplification. Using those options you can change sound signature significantly.
4. SP3K has a system wide upsampling option (for everything except MQA). While you can install say Neutron player app for the same purpose it won’t work for streaming.

Regarding your question on desktop DAC - I’ve sold them all and just enjoy using DAPs as a source to my amp :wink:
It’s also convenient as they are battery powered so you don’t have to deal with line power purification.
Only DAC I still want to buy is something like HOLO Audio May KTE as I don’t think that you can build an R2R DAP of comparable quality (due to physical dimension of components needed).
In terms of options/value the N8ii is the better value, but do you tinker with it all the time or have you landed on one sound? And what sound is that? Similar to AK or something very colored in comparison? From a features perspective you get a lot more in the N8ii - a lot more. It’s almost like comparing a Nissan Skyline GTR with Lamborghini.

If you know your cars…

Jan 29, 2023 at 7:02 AM Post #1,787 of 3,982
Thank you very much for the detailed explanation. That is actually also what I could take out of the many reviews.

Out of curiosity, why the Sony?

Also, you know how you could answer my 2nd question (which desk DAC is comparable to the SP3000 in terms of sound quality?). I'm waiting for the A&K CT1000T right now, and I'm hoping that the sound quality there is at least about the same as the SP3000 (like the CT1000 has virtually the same sound quality of the SP2000T).
Not a single hardware or software issue in comparison… and it’s built like a tank - I just don’t want to deal with anything if I am paying this much for something. It was a safer more “boring” investment and battery is better depending on how you use it.

Jan 29, 2023 at 9:00 AM Post #1,788 of 3,982
In terms of options/value the N8ii is the better value, but do you tinker with it all the time or have you landed on one sound? And what sound is that? Similar to AK or something very colored in comparison? From a features perspective you get a lot more in the N8ii - a lot more. It’s almost like comparing a Nissan Skyline GTR with Lamborghini.

If you know your cars…
N8ii tuning make recorded music life-like, but it doesn’t work well with bright IEMs. It provides a really deep and layered sound with a lot of vivdness and power (if we speak about IEMs). No frequencies overpower or mask others but clearly have their line. Bass is strong, mid bass is a bit reserved, mids have elevation in upper frequencies, the very highs are not pushed forward.
Tubes add a bit of pleasant harmonics and makes sound softer, class A adds even more lush and euphony.
So it is a noticeably different sound compared to SP3K in my opinion.
Currently my mostly used setup now is Traillii with Chiron connected to N8ii in tubes mode and class A amplification.

I reach out to SP3K when I want to have an extra clarity which often complements busy Electronic music well for example.

Jan 29, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #1,789 of 3,982
Just got this hard shell case, for protecting the SP3000 when I'm traveling. It fits like a glove.

Eloboon fireproof hard drive carry case: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B09Z6NNH35?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

715qL33LUBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Jan 29, 2023 at 4:09 PM Post #1,790 of 3,982
My Dignis light brown leather case arrived today. I am very pleased, this is an awesome case!!

Looks great, feels great, smells great, perfect fit and now I can use the side buttons without looking at them. All marks checked!

Great looking case! The brown color is classic.

Oh wow! the Dignis case is beautiful.

I have some Dignis cases for other DAPs and the IEM cases. All well made and great looking.

Jan 30, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #1,791 of 3,982
Hi all,

Notice to all users who complain about the lack of a full Android system on their DAP SP3000.

Here is a great link for experts to optimize their CAYIN N8ii, Sony NW-WM1AM2, IBASSO DX 320, HiBY... Curiously, AK products are not modifiable (this is very good news).

This link shows the stupidity of what a fat DAP OS with useless apps and that it is recommended to uninstall around 60 apps (only under the coding) to optimize SQ:
- calculator
- desk clock
- Display Emulator
- print service
- Print spoiler
- plotter
- biometrics.fingerprint.service
- user directory
- contacts
- etc....

I don't buy an expensive DAP to use the calculator (-_-) and to code.

Sample with the CAYIN-N8ii uninstall software :
https://npaudio.boards.net/thread/277/cayin-n8ii

The main website:
https://www.npaudio.uk

This guy does a great job on the hardware parts to optimize the device. I have nothing to say about it. It's the software part that concerns me. So many applications are installed and some of them are running penalizing the SQ.

Good job AK :wink: to provide us an fully dedicated DAP OS for the best SQ.

Now AK must continue to optimize the own slight DAP OS , improve the functions/Services and the UX.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2023 at 3:45 AM Post #1,793 of 3,982

SP3000 v1.17​

[Improvements]

- New GUI applied in Artist view

- Added MQA decoding in Settings - SPDIF Conversion

- System Stabilization

Jan 31, 2023 at 4:32 AM Post #1,794 of 3,982

SP3000 v1.17​

[Improvements]

- New GUI applied in Artist view

- Added MQA decoding in Settings - SPDIF Conversion

- System Stabilization
Most of the streaming apps, including Roon Arc, also had updates available.

Also, I might be imagining this, but things seem snappier after the update.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2023 at 7:36 AM Post #1,795 of 3,982
Thanks for sending requests for improvement along, @JasonNYC!!! The new GUI in Artist view is greatly improved, a new look and feel and appreciated! Album covers are listed across the top of the screen, maybe a bit bigger than the size of a postage stamp, click the album cover and the songs unfold underneath…perfect for scrolling to find an album within an artist that has many! SP3000 is rolling along nice and snappy too!

Jan 31, 2023 at 8:32 AM Post #1,796 of 3,982
THANK YOU for fixing the Artist view! That had been by far my biggest issue with the UI.

Jan 31, 2023 at 9:05 AM Post #1,798 of 3,982
Hi,

I don't know if this is your case, alter the update, but my 1TB SanDisk Extreme Pro SD card is no longer recognized ?
I have the same brand/model/storage card and it was recognized. Sorry to hear yours is not.

Jan 31, 2023 at 9:06 AM Post #1,799 of 3,982
THANK YOU for fixing the Artist view! That had been by far my biggest issue with the UI.
Seriously, this improvement/fix has already increased my enjoyment of the SP3000, IMMEASURABLY!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back