Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000
Jan 27, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #1,772 of 3,975
My Dignis light brown leather case arrived today. I am very pleased, this is an awesome case!!

Looks great, feels great, smells great, perfect fit and now I can use the side buttons without looking at them. All marks checked!

1674826428625.png
1674826449238.png
That is a nice looking case!

Jan 27, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #1,773 of 3,975
My Dignis light brown leather case arrived today. I am very pleased, this is an awesome case!!

Looks great, feels great, smells great, perfect fit and now I can use the side buttons without looking at them. All marks checked!

1674826428625.png
1674826449238.png
Out of all the DAPs, this is the real beauty. I got a Sony for now; it was based on the price/warranty I could get, but I could have picked either one. Now that AK is up-to-date on Android software, I'll likely get their next flagship or a copper version of the SP3000. I'll give them a 10 for the design, that is for sure.

Jan 28, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #1,777 of 3,975
Jan 29, 2023 at 1:55 AM Post #1,778 of 3,975
I have a demo unit of the SP3000 and I'm pretty excited so far. Compared to the ADI 2/4 Pro SE, I notice that the sound quality is better. Now I have two questions:

1. is the N8ii better in comparison? I read two reviews online and one says the SP3000 is better and the other says the N8ii is better!?
2. which desk DAC is comparable to the SP3000 in terms of sound quality?

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2023 at 2:54 AM Post #1,779 of 3,975
I have a demo unit of the SP3000 and I'm pretty excited so far. Compared to the ADI 2/4 Pro SE, I notice that the sound quality is better. Now I have two questions:

1. is the N8ii better in comparison? I read two reviews online and one says the SP3000 is better and the other says the N8ii is better!?
I read every single post about both of them - but landed on a Sony, but I could have easily gotten the SP3000. So let me try to summarize:

SP3000 does have some settings for music, but you’re getting more or less one “signature” it’s one of the best/purest out there. It’s stunning, screen is really good. It’s not too warm, it up samples lower quality music. Software is Android, 11, but closed and focused to do one thing. You’ll also see that AK updates their software for years+ the versions of Apple Music, Tidal etc that comes as the package, you can obviously downloaded the official ones too.

Nii8 has a lot more sound options with the tubes etc, it’s more organic (think record player) in some of the settings. Android is 9, in 3-4 years likely an issue if you want to have the latest versions of e.g Apple Music, but not likely too big of a problem. Less integrated software than AK, but also more options with a full Android. You’ll see some reports of running hot and battery issues. So worth factoring in. It’s bulkier, but not as wide.

SP3000 is snappier and more storage.

Sorry for being a little unorganized as I am typing as I remember…

You can get the Nii8 for less as some open box options and have been on sale too. So might be a fair amount to save there.

Other than that I’m am sure others have things to point out too.

Jan 29, 2023 at 3:08 AM Post #1,780 of 3,975
I read every single post about both of them - but landed on a Sony, but I could have easily gotten the SP3000. So let me try to summarize:

SP3000 does have some settings for music, but you’re getting more or less one “signature” it’s one of the best/purest out there. It’s stunning, screen is really good. It’s not too warm, it up samples lower quality music. Software is Android, 11, but closed and focused to do one thing. You’ll also see that AK updates their software for years+ the versions of Apple Music, Tidal etc that comes as the package, you can obviously downloaded the official ones too.

Nii8 has a lot more sound options with the tubes etc, it’s more organic (think record player) in some of the settings. Android is 9, in 3-4 years likely an issue if you want to have the latest versions of e.g Apple Music, but not likely too big of a problem. Less integrated software than AK, but also more options with a full Android. You’ll see some reports of running hot and battery issues. So worth factoring in. It’s bulkier, but not as wide.

SP3000 is snappier and more storage.

Sorry for being a little unorganized as I am typing as I remember…

You can get the Nii8 for less as some open box options and have been on sale too. So might be a fair amount to save there.

Other than that I’m am sure others have things to point out too.
Thank you very much for the detailed explanation. That is actually also what I could take out of the many reviews.

Out of curiosity, why the Sony?

Also, you know how you could answer my 2nd question (which desk DAC is comparable to the SP3000 in terms of sound quality?). I'm waiting for the A&K CT1000T right now, and I'm hoping that the sound quality there is at least about the same as the SP3000 (like the CT1000 has virtually the same sound quality of the SP2000T).

Jan 29, 2023 at 4:46 AM Post #1,781 of 3,975

Well I have both of them now.
If we talk about portability SP3000 is a bit more compact and not so bulky with a bigger screen, but N8ii battery last much longer.
It also looks much more luxurious while Cayin has those techno-geek vibe.

In terms of sound quality the biggest differences to me are the following:
1. SP3K has literally zero hiss and the best control over all frequencies - very clear, crisp and not diffused if track doesn’t call for it, but it’s not a dealbreaker for me. Like when I listen to N8ii I don’t have a feeling that I’m missing something.
2. N8ii provide a better sense of scene depth and layering as SP3K has more elevation in sub bass and highs which makes it more forward overall.
That is also a reason why N8ii has a better defined bass line for example.
3. N8ii not only have tubes but a switch for class A or class AB amplification. Using those options you can change sound signature significantly.
4. SP3K has a system wide upsampling option (for everything except MQA). While you can install say Neutron player app for the same purpose it won’t work for streaming.

Regarding your question on desktop DAC - I’ve sold them all and just enjoy using DAPs as a source to my amp :wink:
It’s also convenient as they are battery powered so you don’t have to deal with line power purification.
Only DAC I still want to buy is something like HOLO Audio May KTE as I don’t think that you can build an R2R DAP of comparable quality (due to physical dimension of components needed).

Jan 29, 2023 at 4:53 AM Post #1,782 of 3,975
Well I have both of them now.
If we talk about portability SP3000 is a bit more compact and not so bulky with a bigger screen, but N8ii battery last much longer.
It also looks much more luxurious while Cayin has those techno-geek vibe.

In terms of sound quality the biggest differences to me are the following:
1. SP3K has literally zero hiss and the best control over all frequencies - very clear, crisp and not diffused if track doesn’t call for it, but it’s not a dealbreaker for me. Like when I listen to N8ii I don’t have a feeling that I’m missing something.
2. N8ii provide a better sense of scene depth and layering as SP3K has more elevation in sub bass and highs which makes it more forward overall.
That is also a reason why N8ii has a better defined bass line for example.
3. N8ii not only have tubes but a switch for class A or class AB amplification. Using those options you can change sound signature significantly.
4. SP3K has a system wide upsampling option (for everything except MQA). While you can install say Neutron player app for the same purpose it won’t work for streaming.

Regarding your question on desktop DAC - I’ve sold them all and just enjoy using DAPs as a source to my amp :wink:
It’s also convenient as they are battery powered so you don’t have to deal with line power purification.
Only DAC I still want to buy is something like HOLO Audio May KTE as I don’t think that you can build an R2R DAP of comparable quality (due to physical dimension of components needed).
These differences in sound are indeed interesting. In this case, the N8ii could be a better choice due to the 2nd explanation. Thank you very much for the time and effort!

Last question: which one is more neutral and uncolored between the two?

Jan 29, 2023 at 5:20 AM Post #1,783 of 3,975
These differences in sound are indeed interesting. In this case, the N8ii could be a better choice due to the 2nd explanation. Thank you very much for the time and effort!

Last question: which one is more neutral and uncolored between the two?
I would still say that SP3K is a more neutral one as most of it’s elevation is happening on the very ends of FR (sub-bass, highs).
N8ii has a bit reserved mid bass and elevated upper mids. Also it’s mids are a bit more forward than SP3K in P+/AB and much more forward in class A mode (but it’s dynamic is soften in it).

Jan 29, 2023 at 5:23 AM Post #1,784 of 3,975
I would still say that SP3K is a more neutral one as most of it’s elevation is happening on the very ends of FR (sub-bass, highs).
N8ii has a bit reserved mid bass and elevated upper mids. Also it’s mids are a bit more forward than SP3K in P+/AB and much more forward in class A mode (but it’s dynamic is soften in it).
Thanks again for the explanation, then the SP3000 would be the better choice. But, before I decide, I will wait for the C1000T. I think it will be optimal as an all-rounder - and is much cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back