Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000
Oct 6, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #166 of 4,124
Send back for battery replacement. The battery replacement fee is pretty reasonable.
So I would have to pack up a $4000 device, send it through the mail, wait weeks for it to be replaced, pay the fee to have it done, then pay and wait for it to be shipped back. Then hopefully the technician didn't scratch it all up doing the replacement. Plus I would be without it all of that time. What a hassle! That is the good case, what happens when the device is discontinued and they don't offer battery replacements any longer. Throw it in the trash?

That is instead of ordering a new battery when mine starts to fail, then spend 20 minutes doing the swap. That seems much easier to me.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #167 of 4,124
So I would have to pack up a $4000 device, send it through the mail, wait weeks for it to be replaced, pay the fee to have it done, then pay and wait for it to be shipped back. Then hopefully the technician didn't scratch it all up doing the replacement. Plus I would be without it all of that time. What a hassle!

That is instead of ordering a new battery when mine starts to fail, then spend 20 minutes doing the swap. That seems much easier to me.
That how it works whether you like it or not.
Of course if you are adventurous, you can still choose to open the unit yourself and get a similar battery elsewhere.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2022 at 8:43 PM Post #168 of 4,124
While this is a reasonable request I don't think there are many smartphone sized devices that have user replaceable batteries any more. I'm fairly sure that the EU will regulate this soonish which will change everything.
Just because there aren't many doesn't mean it is good or OK. They also took out headphone jacks and SD card slots on smartphone devices. Is that OK? Maybe they should do that with DAPs too then? To have to melt adhesive and pry the screen off to change a battery is idiotic, sorry. It is just lazy engineering. This Sony here looks to have screws on the back. I don't see the big deal. It would make things so much easier.

sony-nw-wm1zm1-main-03__14371.jpg

Oct 6, 2022 at 8:45 PM Post #169 of 4,124
That how it works whether you like it or not.
Of course if you are adventurous, you can still choose to open the unit yourself and get a similar battery elsewhere.
It only works that way because people put up with planned obsolescence, then for some reason defend it. It is anti-consumer and people could vote with their wallet, then you would be surprised to see how fast it changes.

Some of these you really can't open yourself because the battery is behind the glued in screen which you would end up breaking trying to get to it. It is lazy engineering, sorry.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2022 at 9:59 PM Post #170 of 4,124
A2A Australia told me they will have black units by Monday 10/10 and silver about a week later. I preordered silver on 14/9 so I’m hoping the delay for silver mentioned above doesn’t affect me.
Hi Damz
No, I couldn’t make it, I’m in Brisbane. I bought blind, so glad to hear that its pretty good! Did they have the AK/EE iems there to test? I would like to know what they sound like.

Great news that you’ve already got yours! Hopefully mine isn’t too far away, I went with silver thinking no coating to scratch but probably irrelevant anyway as I’ll have it in a case all the time.

Please some feedback when you can.
Thanks

Oct 6, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #171 of 4,124
Listening now :) will let it settle in over the weekend and report back
8D727361-A15B-468E-ABF4-1685C910EC09.jpeg
7263F057-79BC-46B8-99C3-702C13C4875B.jpeg
DB871BE6-2212-48EB-9812-5A76A2736F83.jpeg
FC1DCECB-C7F0-4BB0-B0E4-F226CA630A3B.jpeg

Oct 6, 2022 at 10:19 PM Post #172 of 4,124
Are people really expecting an SP3000, or just about any pocketable DAP, to drive a Susvara?

Can't wait for a DAP to drive a Susvara on the same level as my home single ended triode desktop amp. Too spoiled by how good Susvara can sound on those amps so achieving the same level on a DAP is a monumental task indeed

Oct 6, 2022 at 10:33 PM Post #174 of 4,124
I know you said you’d have more to say about the player this weekend but can you share some initial impressions? Pretty please?🤗
Sure haha but as long as you take these impressions with a huge grain of salt :)

If you’ve heard the SP2K then I think SP3K will sound very familiar. It has that same sense of refinement and smoothness through the treble, with a slightly forward midrange. The bass is a little different though. It’s more sub bassy than SP2K (from memory)

The black background really stands out. It is completely free of any noise and so the layering and separation sounds more enhanced than usual. Notes have loads of “pop” and definition. The stage has a good balance of width, height and depth.

Oct 6, 2022 at 10:34 PM Post #175 of 4,124
Thanks for the pics Damz, there were some photos from someone else a while back and the case looked like it was kermit green, maybe the light affected the colour. Your photo looks more like what I was hoping for, a dark olive green, more subtle looks better I reckon.

Oct 6, 2022 at 10:41 PM Post #176 of 4,124
Sure haha but as long as you take these impressions with a huge grain of salt :)

If you’ve heard the SP2K then I think SP3K will sound very familiar. It has that same sense of refinement and smoothness through the treble, with a slightly forward midrange. The bass is a little different though. It’s more sub bassy than SP2K (from memory)

The black background really stands out. It is completely free of any noise and so the layering and separation sounds more enhanced than usual. Notes have loads of “pop” and definition. The stage has a good balance of width, height and depth.
Thank you for that.🙏🏽

Oct 6, 2022 at 10:48 PM Post #177 of 4,124
Thanks for the pics Damz, there were some photos from someone else a while back and the case looked like it was kermit green, maybe the light affected the colour. Your photo looks more like what I was hoping for, a dark olive green, more subtle looks better I reckon.
4F48D936-2B6D-4A86-A7A4-6854ADE2C919.jpeg
Yeah it’s a pretty dark subtle green which looks quite classy imho. And to answer your earlier question, yes they had the Odyssey there and we got to briefly demo it. It sounds great, really good bass and technicalities. The upper mids are tuned flatter than Odin, but there’s a bit more upper treble extension

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2022 at 11:52 PM Post #178 of 4,124
Nice but honestly I am getting tired of DAPs that all have sealed in non replaceable batteries. What do you do when the battery eventually dies (they all do)? Is it too much to ask to have a couple of screws somewhere to make replacement possible especially of such high priced units?
New Hiby Rs-8 has a screw on back and a replaceable battery

Oct 7, 2022 at 1:51 AM Post #179 of 4,124
Can't wait for a DAP to drive a Susvara on the same level as my home single ended triode desktop amp. Too spoiled by how good Susvara can sound on those amps so achieving the same level on a DAP is a monumental task indeed

Your closest bet would the the DX300 MAX or MAX TI or the Fiio M17.

I've accepted that it was near impossible to get the same performance with headphones in portable DAP form so I switched to IEMs and I'm glad I made the choice.

Using the DX320 with a heavily modded AMP12 module and I can't stop praising my setup with my U12T.

I'm real curious for a comparison between a SP3000 and a DX320 with the recent AMP12 EXN-S or EXN2 mod (or something else recent), becuase the potential for the DX320 is not heard until you have a tweaked amp module.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2022 at 3:06 AM Post #180 of 4,124
4F48D936-2B6D-4A86-A7A4-6854ADE2C919.jpegYeah it’s a pretty dark subtle green which looks quite classy imho. And to answer your earlier question, yes they had the Odyssey there and we got to briefly demo it. It sounds great, really good bass and technicalities. The upper mids are tuned flatter than Odin, but there’s a bit more upper treble extension
Yeah, the colour looks great in that pic, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back