Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000
Jan 19, 2023 at 6:58 PM Post #1,681 of 3,981
I'm not sure I fully understand what people's criticisms are of the AK 3000. from what I understand it has a pretty responsive implementation of streaming services. What other capabilities do you want from your music player.
I’m actually really enjoying my SP3000, and don’t want to sound like a complainer, save for two nagging quirks that I feel should’ve not been there upon release, or could be fixed with a firmware update:
1.) When scrolling through Artist’s Albums, each album has all the songs listed under each album. Makes for endless, and I do mean endless, scrolling for any artist who has more than even just a couple albums in their catalog/my collection. Don’t even get me started on acts like The Rolling Stones or Guided By Voices!!! Previous A&K players I’ve owned had the songs “compressed”
under each album, and when you pressed on the album, the songs would “open up” under the album.
2.) I’ve found many times while playing music on my player, sometimes when a song changes, the red “default”
Album Artwork will click in, even though I meticulously manually maintain all my album artwork. I can click back or forward on the track, and then click back and the real album art will then be there. Kinda nit-picky I know, but I’ve never had that happen on an A&K player before.
Two small things, but other than those, this player is rocking me in a big way.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #1,682 of 3,981
I don't think that anyone has complained about not having a full android experience... at least not me.

I am very disappointed with the overall user experience though. Some quirks like the album list and the double tap activating the screen when in my pocket are especially VERY annoying for me.

Jan 19, 2023 at 8:31 PM Post #1,683 of 3,981
I don't think that anyone has complained about not having a full android experience... at least not me.

I am very disappointed with the overall user experience though. Some quirks like the album list and the double tap activating the screen when in my pocket are especially VERY annoying for me.
there's no lock screen to swipe open or a lock button?

I went with the Sony wma1m2 because the user experience was really dialed in it seemed.

Jan 19, 2023 at 10:39 PM Post #1,686 of 3,981
Jan 19, 2023 at 10:55 PM Post #1,687 of 3,981
there's no lock screen to swipe open or a lock button?

I went with the Sony wma1m2 because the user experience was really dialed in it seemed.
The fact that you can disable a useful feature that is not working properly doesn't give AK the excuse to have it shipped wonky :)

Jan 20, 2023 at 4:07 AM Post #1,688 of 3,981

Maybe I understand something wrong, but why don't you just deactivate double-tap activate?

Jan 20, 2023 at 5:51 AM Post #1,689 of 3,981
Maybe I understand something wrong, but why don't you just deactivate double-tap activate?
Ok mate…. There is a feature that I find incredibly useful, I paid $5k (Aus) for a device that sports that feature which I find useful… why should I just settle for it being rubbish and turn it off, instead of expecting AK to implement it properly as “as advertised”?

DAPs that cost less than half have it working perfectly fine

Jan 20, 2023 at 5:54 AM Post #1,690 of 3,981
Agree with the last few comments. I’ve said it all along. At some point some of the criticism here will be addressed with updates. As far as sound which should be the most important, 3000 kills it. To me this is the singular most important attribute, android related adds, feature are of no interest to me and I do not grab my SP3000 for any other reason than to play music at a high level.

Jan 20, 2023 at 7:17 AM Post #1,691 of 3,981
I‘ve got no real complaints with my SP3000, other than the folder issue referenced by @uncle b. All I want from a UI is something that doesn’t get in the way of enjoying my music, and the SP3000 is generally good enough in that regard.

Jan 20, 2023 at 8:34 AM Post #1,692 of 3,981
I would suggest double tap is not a feature that is suitable for pocket use but for table top use. With it switched off getting it out of pocket without switching on is welcomed.

Jan 20, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #1,693 of 3,981
Not mistaken Sony is fully/near full android...
yes it is but You can optimize it and turn off a lot of you obtrusive android features and it actually runs pretty smooth though it is a little slower especially when just turned on

Jan 20, 2023 at 11:01 AM Post #1,694 of 3,981
I would suggest double tap is not a feature that is suitable for pocket use but for table top use. With it switched off getting it out of pocket without switching on is welcomed.
So it's a feature that you should turn on for desktop use and off when you're out and about? Are you being serious mate? Do you do that with your phone? How come with HiBy and iBasso devices it works perfectly without self activating i your pocket?
I understand you love your SP3000 and thee are many god reasons too, but this is plain inexcusable: just doesn't work as it should.

Jan 20, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #1,695 of 3,981
So it's a feature that you should turn on for desktop use and off when you're out and about? Are you being serious mate? Do you do that with your phone? How come with HiBy and iBasso devices it works perfectly without self activating i your pocket?
I understand you love your SP3000 and thee are many god reasons too, but this is plain inexcusable: just doesn't work as it should.
Why do you say is inexcusable? ...my iPhone is an extreme pain with unintended touches, my Hidy was a pain...Any DAP (device) I had with touch screen did the same. That's just how "Touch Screen" works. Anything that is conductive can activate the screen. Have you heard about "booty call"?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back