Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000
Jan 21, 2023 at 9:22 AM Post #1,711 of 3,961
Complaints scale with expectations which are no doubt high with the SP3000. I am also confident A&K fixes the issues which seem to be software only.

I complained a lot with my SE200 back then and it got better and better with every update. But for my personal use-cases and pleasure the SP3000 delivers nearly 100% now. Ok, I had the problem with a faulty device at first but that was obviously bad luck.

I hope the updates come in soon so everyone here can enjoy their SP3000s as much as I do. Really worth it, I’m listening as I type, It’s glorious.

Jan 21, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #1,712 of 3,961
I am sure the SP3000 will be one of the best DAP's with TOTL IEMS but I wonder if any owner have paired it with the HD800s and can provide some feedback?
A reviewer said it was loud enough but the sound was a bit dry/thin.

Jan 21, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #1,713 of 3,961
I currently used them with the HD800S and yes they drive the sennheisers perfectly fine.
I wouldn’t call the the SP3000 sound signature dry, nor thin. The HD800 sound great to my ears with the SP3000. It may come off a bit analytical, but that might be more a function of the 800 tuning then the SP3000 short comings.
but again they drive them well, and I certainly enjoy them. Hope that helps.

Jan 21, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #1,714 of 3,961
Can someone recommend a reasonably priced 4.4mm cable for the Focal Utopia 2022? Curious to see what synergy it has with the sp3k- just fired up the DAVE+Mscaler and enjoying some Buena Vista Social Club after a night out at a Cuban place in London. Lovely stuff

Jan 21, 2023 at 7:27 PM Post #1,715 of 3,961
Can someone recommend a reasonably priced 4.4mm cable for the Focal Utopia 2022? Curious to see what synergy it has with the sp3k- just fired up the DAVE+Mscaler and enjoying some Buena Vista Social Club after a night out at a Cuban place in London. Lovely stuff
What does “reasonably priced cable” mean for an owner of Chord Dave+Chord Mscaler? Lol. I’d recommend Kimber Axios 16-wire Hybrid cable. I enjoy it paired with my Audeze LCD-4z.

Jan 21, 2023 at 7:34 PM Post #1,716 of 3,961
Haha, fair point! The Utopias got treated to a Lazuli Reference Plus for use with DAVE so will need to put up with a far cheaper 4.4mm cable :D
Will look into the Kimber, cheers!

Jan 21, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #1,717 of 3,961
Couldn’t the adapter be having some impact on the sound? Are you using a 2.5mm to 4.4mm adapter or vice versa?
No because I have tried with pure silver adapters, and I also have identical cables with 2.5mm and 4.4mm. Adapters do color it a bit, but the pure cables show different results on 2.5mm and 4.4mm.. It subtle...but I feel it.

Jan 21, 2023 at 10:07 PM Post #1,719 of 3,961
You're missing the point, mate: if AK implements a feature, they should test it before shipping it. Thay have not. At least not enough.

If it's not a big deal for you, because you don't use it, it doesn't mean that it can't be for someone else. Like me.

It's very simple: if you can't implement it properly (on your TOTL player!!!), just don't include it. For some people like me it's an important feature that has been part of my decisional process.
Simple solution buddy, either wait for firmware updates or sell it and buy something else. We get it, you’re not happy with your purchase. Everyone’s heard your complaints. Time for you to move on. You’re clogging up this thread with your incessant whining.

Jan 22, 2023 at 5:31 AM Post #1,720 of 3,961
Complaints scale with expectations which are no doubt high with the SP3000. I am also confident A&K fixes the issues which seem to be software only.

I complained a lot with my SE200 back then and it got better and better with every update. But for my personal use-cases and pleasure the SP3000 delivers nearly 100% now. Ok, I had the problem with a faulty device at first but that was obviously bad luck.

I hope the updates come in soon so everyone here can enjoy their SP3000s as much as I do. Really worth it, I’m listening as I type, It’s glorious.
This! The more one pays the higher the expectations - well said. The rest is true too.

Jan 22, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #1,721 of 3,961
I am sure the SP3000 will be one of the best DAP's with TOTL IEMS but I wonder if any owner have paired it with the HD800s and can provide some feedback?
A reviewer said it was loud enough but the sound was a bit dry/thin.
Hi,

The HD800s work and match perfectly with the SP3000. Very analytical, the SP3000 does not fatigue and successfully drives this headset.

A friend tells me that he can listen to his SUSVARA which is known to be very difficult to drive (the SP3000 sound volume is at the maximum but the listening is excellent according to him).

Jan 22, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #1,722 of 3,961
Hi,

The HD800s work and match perfectly with the SP3000. Very analytical, the SP3000 does not fatigue and successfully drives this headset.

A friend tells me that he can listen to his SUSVARA which is known to be very difficult to drive (the SP3000 sound volume is at the maximum but the listening is excellent according to him).
Tbh Susvara on the SP3000, from my experience, are a big no.

You can listen to them but they sound flat, lifeless. Same goes for the DC expanse.

Caldera sound amazing on the SP3000 instead.

Jan 22, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #1,723 of 3,961
Tbh Susvara on the SP3000, from my experience, are a big no.

You can listen to them but they sound flat, lifeless. Same goes for the DC expanse.

Caldera sound amazing on the SP3000 instead.
Hi @damascato

Thanks for your input, you have a different opinion than the friend. It is respectable. I'll be testing it shortly to make up my mind too.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Do you have any idea of a portable amplifier to pair with the SP3000 to better drive the SUSVARA?

Jan 22, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #1,724 of 3,961
Hi @damascato

Thanks for your input, you have a different opinion than the friend. It is respectable. I'll be testing it shortly to make up my mind too.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Do you have any idea of a portable amplifier to pair with the SP3000 to better drive the SUSVARA?
From my experience the only portable amp able to drive Susvara to an acceptable level is the iFi Diablo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back