Astell&Kern A&futura SE200: First DAP With Multiple DACs - Head-Fi TV
Jun 27, 2020 at 7:13 AM Post #106 of 1,165
Sure. Conductivity. Just like cables. That's why the 1000 and 2000 etc. come in copper and stainless steel variations...

I don't believe that at all. Even if it were part of the circuit path. Here we are talking about a *chassis,* on the outside, right?

AK will make adjustments to the sound quality and signature via firmware updates to ensure separation across its product line. Just watch...

By "adjustments," you don't mean deliberately downgrading sound quality of units below the TOTL, do you, heaven forbid?

This Futura line is as stated by AK themselves leans more to making a future DAP (something had not done before) rather than fine tune DAP, about what you said "make a highest quality obtainable for that price" is for other line in AK perspective.. This is like some car manufactures made a concept car and you said why cant you make a normal and better car??

Wait a second. Why should people buy a concept car rather than a better car for a given price?

Jun 27, 2020 at 7:19 AM Post #107 of 1,165
Wait a second. Why should people buy a concept car rather than a better car for a given price?

No people said about buying it... is about the idea... doing something that had not been done before.. omg.. your understanding is perfect man... what I see from Jason trying to say is the no other people in the market put 2 flagship DAC (I thing 9068 is the new Flag by ESS) into a single device and make it plug n play rather than changing the DAC itself like how Cayin did it...

Jun 27, 2020 at 7:55 AM Post #108 of 1,165
I don't believe that at all. Even if it were part of the circuit path. Here we are talking about a *chassis,* on the outside, right?
Well, you're wrong, LOL.

What is your experience listening to high end gear? What do/have you owned? What are you listening to now?

Jun 27, 2020 at 7:59 AM Post #109 of 1,165
Well, you're wrong, LOL.
Well, I'm no electrical engineer, but I don't wear copper bracelets and I'm pretty sure that what a music player is encased in is not going to affect the electrical signal of the audio coming out of the player. Unless we have some weirdly designed circuits that somehow are affected by capacitance or inductance (or lack thereof) of a metal body surrounding the circuit.

Jun 27, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #110 of 1,165
Well, I'm no electrical engineer, but I don't wear copper bracelets and I'm pretty sure that what a music player is encased in is not going to affect the electrical signal of the audio coming out of the player. Unless we have some weirdly designed circuits that somehow are affected by capacitance or inductance (or lack thereof) of a metal body surrounding the circuit.
Why don't you try to get your hands on a copper and stainless steel sp1000 or 2000; or an aluminum/brass sp1000m and spend some time comparing the sound signatures before you make a judgement. Maybe next Canjam NYC in February, I'll even meet you there, and we can do some listening tests...

Jun 27, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #111 of 1,165
Jun 27, 2020 at 8:10 AM Post #113 of 1,165
Copper warmer and silver more analytical was my impression
Silver smoother actually.

Yup.. this is overall impression given by mass public also.. but some people cant differentiate between I cannot hear it vs it does not exist, just like cable rolling...
What gear have you listened to?

Jun 27, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #116 of 1,165
The AKM DAC, the AK4499EQ used is AKM's top flagship DAC and same one used in the SP2000 flagship player. The two ESS ES9068 DACs are also near the top of the line for ESS. Most people would probably consider them "decent" DACs. Granted, it also depends on the tuning and implementation. You could have the best DACs available and if they are implemented poorly, then any product is going to sound bad.

The A&futura or "future" line of AK players has always been since the launch of the SE100 over two years ago about experimenting with new technologies and pushing the envelope of what can be done with a portable player. The SE100 was the first portable device to use the ESS ES9038 DAC, which was never before used in a portable device because of the high power demands and the difficulty in maintaining a low noise floor with the power demands.

We've found people prefer certain DACs more depending on the genre they listen to. With the SE200, you can listen to Rock for example with the ESS, then switch over to the AKM side for the Jazz or classical.
Whats with Cowon PL `? they used that DAC also :p :p

Jun 27, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #117 of 1,165
Depends on geometry and strand sizes and strands counts
I didn't know that. My only silver was a Cleopatra. I'm buying the Leonides II Monday, gonna pair it with the UM MEST...

Jun 27, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #119 of 1,165
But what happens when you put a case on the player?
Won't that affect the sound? Will a brown or black case emphasize the bass, blue the mids, and red the upper frequencies?

If you feel that different colors will affect your perception of sound, just enjoy the ride. Being way too critical or nitpicking of everything just kills the fun of this hobby

Jun 27, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #120 of 1,165
Once more unto the breach.

You haven't really addressed the point, or the question I subsequently raised. I said that for any price point, one can either put in the best, optimal DAC for that price point, or, if there are several DAC's, only suboptimal DAC's (since obviously two costs more than one). You responded that the SE200 has the same DAC as the SP2000. I asked what the implication was. That it would sound the same? You didn't answer, but someone else said that the SP2000 has two of the same (at a much higher price) and so the sound was better. If THAT's the difference resulting in better sound quality, fine.

But if you can afford to put two different TOTL DAC's in the SE200, why not put two of the SP2000 DAC's in the SE200, and then we have an equivalent in sound quality to the SP2000 in the SE200 (which obviously AK doesn't want, since it's half the price)?

I don't get the "variety" answer. Most people are not going to continually switch back and forth. The will settle on one, and the other one will have been completely wasted. AK might as well have sold *two* new players, one with the SP2000 "TOTL" DAC, for *half* the price of the SE200 (Call it SE200-SP), and another new player with the other
DAC (Call it SE200-ME), again for half the price. Or for 2/3 the price, or whatever--obviously, having circuits with two TOTL DAC's costs AK more than having one.

I haven’t heard back from my question to @JasonNYC about the DAC implementation, but I assume the difference between the SP2000 and the SE200 is the fully balanced digital section in the SP2000 ... not likely in the SE200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back