Astell&Kern A&futura SE200: First DAP With Multiple DACs - Head-Fi TV
Jun 26, 2020 at 9:30 PM Post #91 of 1,165
The AKM DAC, the AK4499EQ used is AKM's top flagship DAC and same one used in the SP2000 flagship player. The two ESS ES9068 DACs are also near the top of the line for ESS. Most people would probably consider them "decent" DACs. Granted, it also depends on the tuning and implementation. You could have the best DACs available and if they are implemented poorly, then any product is going to sound bad.

The A&futura or "future" line of AK players has always been since the launch of the SE100 over two years ago about experimenting with new technologies and pushing the envelope of what can be done with a portable player. The SE100 was the first portable device to use the ESS ES9038 DAC, which was never before used in a portable device because of the high power demands and the difficulty in maintaining a low noise floor with the power demands.

We've found people prefer certain DACs more depending on the genre they listen to. With the SE200, you can listen to Rock for example with the ESS, then switch over to the AKM side for the Jazz or classical.

When you say " The AKM DAC, the AK4499EQ used is AKM's top flagship DAC and same one used in the SP2000 flagship player," exactly what is the implication I am supposed to draw from that? That having this DAC means it will sound like the SP2000? If not (and I would tend to think not), I have no idea what that is supposed to tell me.

My point was that rather than having two DACs (or three, I'm losing count) for a given price, one DAC could have been the highest quality obtainable for that price. Now you are telling me it's got the same DAC as the SP2000. So I should not buy the SP2000, because I get the same sound by choosing that DAC in the SE200? And if not, what does it mean?

Jun 26, 2020 at 9:51 PM Post #92 of 1,165
When you say " The AKM DAC, the AK4499EQ used is AKM's top flagship DAC and same one used in the SP2000 flagship player," exactly what is the implication I am supposed to draw from that? That having this DAC means it will sound like the SP2000? If not (and I would tend to think not), I have no idea what that is supposed to tell me.

My point was that rather than having two DACs (or three, I'm losing count) for a given price, one DAC could have been the highest quality obtainable for that price. Now you are telling me it's got the same DAC as the SP2000. So I should not buy the SP2000, because I get the same sound by choosing that DAC in the SE200? And if not, what does it mean?
The 2000 has dual 99 dacs, so that alone means it will sound different. The question is the tuning (implementation) of the single dac. Is it tuned differently than the 2000? (I imagine it would be). Also the different chassis (aluminum vs stainless steel) will impact the sound character.

Jun 26, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #93 of 1,165
The 2000 has dual 99 dacs, so that alone means it will sound different. The question is the tuning (implementation) of the single dac. Is it tuned differently than the 2000? (I imagine it would be). Also the different chassis (aluminum vs stainless steel) will impact the sound character.
Different chassis will make the sound different? Are you serious?

Jun 26, 2020 at 10:02 PM Post #94 of 1,165
exactly what is the implication I am supposed to draw from that?
Not trying to imply anything other than addressing what you said about having multiple DACs vs one DAC - "they throw in 2 DAC's, each of which is not necessarily the best it could be at that price level (I'm speculating- obviously haven't heard them, but if there are two, count 'em two, there's no way they could be as good as if there had been only one)"

Just simply stating that the DACs in there are as good as what you would find if only one was in there as they are both TOTL DACs. You would need to listen for yourself, with your headphones/IEMs and your music to judge what would sound better. For you, it might be an AK player or it might be another brand player.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jun 26, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #95 of 1,165
Different chassis will make the sound different? Are you serious?
Sure. Conductivity. Just like cables. Thats why the 1000 and 2000 etc. come in copper and stainless steel variations...

Jun 26, 2020 at 11:39 PM Post #96 of 1,165
First is SR25 having more features than higher end models (Android 9 and LDAC) and now, SE200 having same DAC chip that sound as good as SP2000 flagship costing double.

I rather choose Lotoo and be done with it. And comes with 4.4 too.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2020 at 12:10 AM Post #97 of 1,165
First is SR25 having more features than higher end models (Android 9 and LDAC) and now, SE200 having same DAC chip that sound as good as SP2000 flagship costing double.

AK will make adjustments to the sound quality and signature via firmware updates to ensure separation across its product line. Just watch...

Jun 27, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #98 of 1,165

Which model?

Jun 27, 2020 at 2:46 AM Post #99 of 1,165
Yes, just because a once state-of-the-art player is surpassed by newer models shouldn’t diminish one’s enjoyment. Besides, I still think the chassis design of the AK240SS is the best design AK has ever done—I like small DAPs.
I agree, I don’t own that player but I love how it looks. Best looking ak for me.

Personally, this dap looks amazing to me. Currently I use my sp2000 for classical, jazz and electronic but prefer other daps for metal. This could be a one dap to suit all genres solution

Jun 27, 2020 at 5:37 AM Post #101 of 1,165
Another potential issue is plugging in an unbalanced 3.5mm into a balanced 3.5mm port, or vice versa.

As far as I understand, "vice versa" isn't an issue.

I don't understand this...
People will try one, then the other, and back, for each individual song, album, symphony, whatever?

There seem to be two only possible rationales behind the decision of making two DACs in one body. Firstly, It's not for fun, but for those who will change DACs depending on the style or quality of record. Secondly, A&K just wanted to be the first to implement the innovative technology, which is crucial for remaining on the crest of a wave.

wow, the ESS DAC supports DSD1024 and hardware MQA-rendering.

Any proof of it regarding this DAP?

Jun 27, 2020 at 7:08 AM Post #104 of 1,165

This Futura line is as stated by AK themselves leans more to making a future DAP (something had not done before) rather than fine tune DAP, about what you said "make a highest quality obtainable for that price" is for other line in AK perspective.. This is like some car manufactures made a concept car and you said why cant you make a normal and better car??

Jun 27, 2020 at 7:11 AM Post #105 of 1,165
Not trying to imply anything other than addressing what you said about having multiple DACs vs one DAC - "they throw in 2 DAC's, each of which is not necessarily the best it could be at that price level (I'm speculating- obviously haven't heard them, but if there are two, count 'em two, there's no way they could be as good as if there had been only one)"

Just simply stating that the DACs in there are as good as what you would find if only one was in there as they are both TOTL DACs. You would need to listen for yourself, with your headphones/IEMs and your music to judge what would sound better. For you, it might be an AK player or it might be another brand player.

Once more unto the breach.

You haven't really addressed the point, or the question I subsequently raised. I said that for any price point, one can either put in the best, optimal DAC for that price point, or, if there are several DAC's, only suboptimal DAC's (since obviously two costs more than one). You responded that the SE200 has the same DAC as the SP2000. I asked what the implication was. That it would sound the same? You didn't answer, but someone else said that the SP2000 has two of the same (at a much higher price) and so the sound was better. If THAT's the difference resulting in better sound quality, fine.

But if you can afford to put two different TOTL DAC's in the SE200, why not put two of the SP2000 DAC's in the SE200, and then we have an equivalent in sound quality to the SP2000 in the SE200 (which obviously AK doesn't want, since it's half the price)?

I don't get the "variety" answer. Most people are not going to continually switch back and forth. The will settle on one, and the other one will have been completely wasted. AK might as well have sold *two* new players, one with the SP2000 "TOTL" DAC, for *half* the price of the SE200 (Call it SE200-SP), and another new player with the other
DAC (Call it SE200-ME), again for half the price. Or for 2/3 the price, or whatever--obviously, having circuits with two TOTL DAC's costs AK more than having one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back