Astell&Kern A&futura SE200: First DAP With Multiple DACs - Head-Fi TV
May 23, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #901 of 1,165
Apparently the sideloaded Tidal can do offline downloads just fine, same with Qobuz
That’s Tidal’s protected app, just installed outside the play store as a&k doesn’t support the play store.

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #902 of 1,165
How does the M8 handle apps? Is it fully supportive like the Hiby R8 and rid of any sideloading like A&K? Also with Android 7.1... how does it hold up in terms of interface and speed?
Yes. Full Google play store support on M8. I am still streaming on Android 4, so its likely fine for awhile.

May 23, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #905 of 1,165
Right on, I didn't know what that meant, my bad.

Do you happen to know if all your offline downloads have to be re-downloaded when you have to manually update the sideloaded version of both Tidal or Qobuz?
I can’t speak to that, unfortunately. I have not downloaded from the host apps since a couple firmware’s back. I am sure a fellow fi’er has and can speak to that for you?

May 23, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #907 of 1,165
@blotmouse

What to do you think reason behind the SQ difference between the M8 and SE200 (AKM side) is? The fact that the M8 is dual or that it has a better amp?
The dual dacs and the amp stages. Amp more than the dacs. And they are dif companies with different ways of tuning to their preferred signatures.

May 23, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #908 of 1,165
Right on, I didn't know what that meant, my bad.

Do you happen to know if all your offline downloads have to be re-downloaded when you have to manually update the sideloaded version of both Tidal or Qobuz?
They do not need to be downloaded again when you update as long as you keep the previous version of the app installed, then install the new one. The new one will overwrite the previous app, keep all app settings and downloads. If you uninstall the old app before installing the new one, it will wipe all settings and previously downloaded music.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
May 23, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #909 of 1,165
They do not need to be downloaded again when you update as long as you keep the previous version of the app installed, then install the new one. The new one will overwrite the previous app, keep all app settings and downloads. If you uninstall the old app before installing the new one, it will wipe all settings and previously downloaded music.
That's awesome! Sideloading's not so bad then. Thanks for all your time Jason!

May 24, 2021 at 5:45 AM Post #910 of 1,165
I just went back for a listen on the M8 and ESS side of the SE200.. I probably should have mentioned in my last comment, that I was comparing the two AKM DAC's. On the ESS it is much more organic sounding than the M8. The M8 is better for Metal and EDM , where the ESS is better for rock/blues/folk.

We must all be on the same wavelength with these 2 DAP's, lol. Just wrapped up my comparathon as well.

The M8 has supplanted the SE200 as my main source. They are both extremely similar when comparing AKM, but the M8’s sound is just more regal throughout. It takes the AKM and the ESS side and blends them into a single signature that works with most everything better than the individual extremes A&K give in the SE200. It tones down any harshness I experienced in the AKM’s somewhat stabbing midrange (certain recordings, and why I even used the ESS side at all. When the AKM just didn’t work with the material ~25% of the time)

It’s warm, yes, but not at all at the cost of the mids/highs. Better separation. If the SE200 was presenting the master bus to you, the M8 gives you the entire independent console. Brighter and warmer.

Soundstage is quite a bit wider and wraps around you vs. SE200’s more in your face focussed approach (edges of the field felt a bit clipped off). M8 has a darker, even more silent background and very nicely controlled bass. Deep, extended, rhythmic, and slamming. It has less apparent bass for me than the SE200, surprisingly. SE200 is looser and less controlled, almost overpowering when I go back to it, which I didn’t at all expect.

The midrange/treble is where the magic is vs. the SE200 though. Vocals are just more realistic to my ears.
It adds an ever so slight warmth with additional detail in very pleasing ways. Nod to Dad's old Hi-fi.

All listening was done with a Solaris OG and a DUNU Blanche cable with 2.5 balanced connection. Volume matched as best I could get it. Qobuz streaming app to keep a level field.
Using UAPP made the Shanling pull ahead even further in staging and enjoyment, so I shelved testing it with that, but if A&K allowed UAPP and the M8 didn’t, it may be a closer fight.

Currently REALLY digging 70’s classic rock and prog with the Low Dispersion Short Delay filter on high gain. Just superb. Tubes and tweed all day.
I still may have use for the ESS side of SE200, in certain circumstances (Bob Mould - Blue Hearts, anyone?). But up till now I have not been moved to pick it up other than to perform comparisons.
@SMOoth Operator & @blotmouse (or anyone with first-hand experience for that matter) :p

Quick one, based on what I read above, i.e. Shanling’s M8 somewhat being in-between the AKM and ESS sides of the SE200.

I currently own an A&K SR25 and Shanling M6 Pro which I use in single-DAC mode and favours the latter (SR25 is too mid-centric, I prefer something more laidback) with my Solaris 2020 and Grado RS2e with G-Cush — single-ended. I’m heavily into 60s-70s music and like an analogue tuning.

I’m considering the SE200, especially for its ESS side, the AKM side being welcome for future pairings.

Accordingly, would it be a fair assessment based on your experience that on a warm/dark to cold/bright scale you’d rank them as follow:

SE200 ESS - M8 - SE200 AKM ?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
May 24, 2021 at 6:32 AM Post #911 of 1,165
@SMOoth Operator & @blotmouse (or anyone with first-hand experience for that matter) :p

Quick one, based on what I read above, i.e. Shanling’s M8 somewhat being in-between the AKM and ESS sides of the SE200.

I currently own an A&K SR25 and Shanling M6 Pro which I use in single-DAC mode and favours the latter (SR25 is too mid-centric, I prefer something more laidback) with my Solaris 2020 and Grado RS2e with G-Cush — single-ended. I’m heavily into 60s-70s music and like an analogue tuning.

I’m considering the SE200, especially for its ESS side, the AKM side being welcome for future pairings.

Accordingly, would it be a fair assessment based on your experience that on a warm/dark to cold/bright scale you’d rank them as follow:

Thanks for your help.
I can't speak regarding the M8 but the ESS side of the SE200 pairs extremely well with the Solaris SE when I had it. I preferred it over the AKM side. This was also the case with Hero. I love having the versatility of having 2 signatures which actually have noticeable differences on different IEM's. I prefer the AKM side with the LX (by a long shot), Odin and the Z1R whereas I like both sides with the Dorado 2020 and the VE8 and I preffered the ESS side with the Solaris SE and Hero.

May 24, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #913 of 1,165

Thanks for your help.
It's not that cut and dry, unfortunately. They have other characteristics going on within those labeling limits.
ESS is warmer down low, but brighter up top with some A&K shizzle. Very laid back. Lemonade on the porch in summer vibe.
M8 is slightly warm throughout with detailed clarity (which is what makes it stand out to me) its warm and detailed. Gingerbread pulled straight out of the oven feel.
SE200 AKM is somewhat upper mid forward, a bit aggressive, a slightly smaller sound stage, but digs even deeper than ESS bass-wise (for me, others report the opposite), but sacrifices some detail in those efforts vs. M8. I find it can be harsh sometimes, not often, but on some badly recorded material. Think piping hot lasagna.
All compared from my memory on Solaris OG, balanced 2.5 for everything.
If you can't tell, I need to go to lunch soon.

Last edited:
May 24, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #914 of 1,165
It's not that cut and dry, unfortunately. They have other characteristics going on within those labeling limits.
ESS is warmer down low, but brighter up top with some A&K shizzle. Very laid back. Lemonade on the porch in summer vibe.
M8 is slightly warm throughout with detailed clarity (which is what makes it stand out to me) its warm and detailed. Gingerbread pulled straight out of the oven feel.
SE200 AKM is somewhat upper mid forward, a bit aggressive, a slightly smaller sound stage, but digs even deeper than ESS bass-wise (for me, others report the opposite), but sacrifices some detail in those efforts vs. M8. I find it can be harsh sometimes, not often, but on some badly recorded material. Think piping hot lasagna.
All compared from my memory on Solaris OG, balanced 2.5 for everything.
If you can't tell, I need to go to lunch soon.
This helps a lot, thanks!

Enjoy your lunch you probably already ate by now :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back