Astell&Kern A&futura SE200: First DAP With Multiple DACs - Head-Fi TV
Oct 28, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #466 of 1,165
wondering how the kann alpha compares to the akm chip. the kann alpha has far more power

SE200 sounds better than Kann Alpha to me, both AKM and ESS output. I tried both with Empire Ears Hero and I prefer the SE200. It is pretty powerful too. Alpha is more powerful if you need to drive power hungry phones. YMMV.

Oct 28, 2020 at 9:45 PM Post #467 of 1,165
An reviewer told me that SE200 is approx. 85% of the sound quality of SP2000 at a much lower price. We choose our pick.

Not a lot of difference if you don’t AB them side by side. I would say SE200/AKM is more forward sounding and SP2000 is more balanced, wider spacious soundstage and better separation.

Oct 28, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #468 of 1,165
I liked the sound of the SP2000 but it was a heavy player and it was a bit of a hassle to use as a portable player.

I do really enjoy the sound of the AKM side of SE200, while it's not ultra spacious and balanced like the SP2000, it has a nice sound signature that gives the typical Astell&Kern presentation without sounding too sibilant or too bassy. The sound stage is nice too.
The SE200 is also lighter and has a very cool LED ring.
I've only been using my Campfire Solaris 2020 so far and it is a nice combo with the AKM side and very interesting with the ESS side too.

Oct 29, 2020 at 4:37 AM Post #469 of 1,165
I liked the sound of the SP2000 but it was a heavy player and it was a bit of a hassle to use as a portable player.

I do really enjoy the sound of the AKM side of SE200, while it's not ultra spacious and balanced like the SP2000, it has a nice sound signature that gives the typical Astell&Kern presentation without sounding too sibilant or too bassy. The sound stage is nice too.
The SE200 is also lighter and has a very cool LED ring.
I've only been using my Campfire Solaris 2020 so far and it is a nice combo with the AKM side and very interesting with the ESS side too.

For portable use, I like the under-rated SA700 better as it is compact and have great sound quality. Built quality is better and look nicer imo. It is a little warm in use but once in leather case it is not an issue. Of course SE200 is good too if don’t mind the larger size.

Oct 29, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #470 of 1,165
For portable use, I like the under-rated SA700 better as it is compact and have great sound quality. Built quality is better and look nicer imo. It is a little warm in use but once in leather case it is not an issue. Of course SE200 is good too if don’t mind the larger size.

Thanks for sharing your thought. How would you characterize the sound signature between SA700 and SE200? Is it good for Jazz, pop, piano, and some classical music?
I bought a used SA700 but had many software issues (crashes constantly and not sure had to do with my SD card which works with my AK70 Mark II) and returned it after a week. I am trying to decide Khan Alpha, SA700 and SE200. I think the Khan Alpha (too neutral) doesn't match my IEM - CFA Solaris 2020 (bright V shape).
But I heard Vision Ear IEM matches SA700 and SE200 quite well as they are both a little warm but the SA700 is a bit mid focused so it might like a little analog.
Looking forward to hear from you.

Oct 29, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #471 of 1,165
Thanks for sharing your thought. How would you characterize the sound signature between SA700 and SE200? Is it good for Jazz, pop, piano, and some classical music?
I bought a used SA700 but had many software issues (crashes constantly and not sure had to do with my SD card which works with my AK70 Mark II) and returned it after a week. I am trying to decide Khan Alpha, SA700 and SE200. I think the Khan Alpha (too neutral) doesn't match my IEM - CFA Solaris 2020 (bright V shape).
But I heard Vision Ear IEM matches SA700 and SE200 quite well as they are both a little warm but the SA700 is a bit mid focused so it might like a little analog.

What IEM's will you be using the player with? Only the Solaris 2020? I can tell you (for my tastes) that my Solaris SE pairs better (IMO) with the ESS side of the SE200 (the AKM side isn't bad with the Solaris for certain genres but I find that the ESS compliments the euphonic, smooth sound of the Solaris SE with Loki+ cable). With that in mind, I'd imagine the Kann Alpha would also pair well with the Solaris 2020. The SA700 however may accentuate the mid's of the Solaris 2020 a little too much (it is already a fairly mid forward monitor if you ask me)... It depends what you are looking for I guess.

Oct 29, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #472 of 1,165
Thanks for sharing your thought. Much appreciated! I heard the Alpha sound signature is closer to neutral and a little brightness which might not play all that well with what is already a clarity-focused Solaris. The Solaris 2020 may be a little too bright, so think a warmer source might be better (SA700 or SE200?). I like the Solaris so far but might not want to get a DAP not matching it. Have a good evening in the UK.

Oct 29, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #473 of 1,165
I would say that the Solaris 2020 is darker sounding and overall more balanced than the Solaris SE, just my opinion.

Oct 30, 2020 at 3:16 AM Post #474 of 1,165
I can tell you (for my tastes) that my Solaris SE pairs better (IMO) with the ESS side of the SE200

Yeah, same here. It's hard to explain, but when i put the Solaris in the AKM side, the iem seems "out of breath". With the ESS side all returns to its place.

Oct 30, 2020 at 3:39 AM Post #475 of 1,165
Im using VE Elysium with SE200. I compared SA700 and Kann Alpha before. It sounds exceptional and its worth to pay extra for the AKM DAC. AKM side is so close signature to SP2000.

Oct 30, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #476 of 1,165

Sorry I can’t compare as I don’t have Elysium. I do agree with you Alpha may be too neutral and may not be suitable for some iems. I prefer analog SA700 (not seen any crashes) for the warmer, smoother yet detailed sound, and as I already have sp2000 (currently out of commission). SE200 is also good, you get typical ak sound on AKM side and also get extra sound for ess. It’s more expensive but it’s ok if you have the need to use. In the end, there’s no which is better, it all depends on preferences, iems used and budget.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2020 at 7:43 AM Post #478 of 1,165
Can someone do a AB test on Tidal build-in V1.8 vs Tidal open source APK (tested version: latest V2.32.1)?

With the same song, I found the build-in Tidal sounds better in terms of
- Transparency
- More Neutral (open source latest version is more bassy)
- Imaging is more solid

Anyone know why? Thanks.

Nov 4, 2020 at 5:47 AM Post #479 of 1,165
When i connect two iems in each side (akm and ess) the music is reproduced from both at the same time. Is there any way that you can rule out a dac connection from playing?
Forgive me if this has already been asked.

Nov 4, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #480 of 1,165
If i rem correctly. U can only insert both side SE or BAL only. Cannot 1 side SE and 1 side BAL. of coz 1 side SE and BAL tgt also not ok.
Also if u listen to both side, pls note:
1. Your battery will drain a lot faster
2. AKM side volume is louder than ESS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back